General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trouble with Morning Workouts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-26 3:15 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Trouble with Morning Workouts

I guess there is always something new to learn.

I have started to do morning workout (never was a fan of them) and finding that even if my HR is low (which is what I train by), my RPE and sweat rate are much higher than I would expect.  I'm struggling to push hard enough to get the HR up.  I should probably test pace/speed to see if I am actually going harder, but it's on a spin bike, and there is no indicators other than RPE.

Anyone else see this?  Suggestions to adjust?  Go by RPE perhaps if it's a morning workout?  (which is sort of what I have been doing - since it's a struggle to get to Z2/Z3).

I'm wondering what is out of sorts.  My HR, or my perception of effort.

2012-06-26 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4281586

User image

San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: Trouble with Morning Workouts

My guess is the RPE is out of wack.  Early morning workouts always feel harder to me since I am usually a little sleepy still.  It definitely works it self out as I wake up.  If I try and do the same workout later in the day it almost always feels more like it should and the HR, speed, RPE all seem to line up better.

Maybe try and retest your HR early in the morning to see if there is a difference?

2012-06-26 4:22 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas
I'm not a morning guy but to make to make it work when I do, I have to be up for a little while, I cannot just jump out of bed and do, anything other than pee maybe. If I can be up, have some coffee, stand around and stare at my bike or whatever till all my systems boot up I have a much better workout
2012-06-26 6:31 PM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
You look at your bike to increase your heart rate? Must be a nice bike...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trouble with Morning Workouts Rss Feed