General Discussion Triathlon Talk » type of wetsuit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-01 11:41 AM

Subject: type of wetsuit?

Hello all-

This is my third summer doing sprint tri's. I am a runner and a biker, but swimming is not naturally my thing. I am a 40 yr old female, do about 13 min for 500m.I notice that my legs tend to sink when a swim, so naturally a wetsuit would help me out.

The first summer I bought a sleeveless full length wetsuit with the higher neck, which I used the whole summer. The thing is that the higher neck seems to constrict my breathing - this is either physical or mental, not sure which - but when I get tired this tightening causes anxiety when in the water and I really slow down. I even went without the wetsuit last summer which helped with the constriction but I notice that my legs still tend to sink more.

My question: is there a good wetsuit that would give me buoyancy in my legs that has a lower neck? Or would just using wetsuit pants work? I've seen a couple of bibbed type suits that look like wrestling suits, but are pretty expensive. I dont' want to go above $150.

thanks!

Leslie

2012-07-01 10:18 PM
in reply to: #4289126

Subject: RE: type of wetsuit?

Many of the newer suits feature much lower necklines (more like crew necks than mock turtlenecks).

Example of a low-neckline suit from Zoot:

In general longsleeve suits are faster, but there is a minor amount of stroke restriction you need to get used to (minimized when the suit is put on correctly).

Fit really matters in wetsuits, so go somewhere that you can try on several models, and where you can return a suit if you're not happy after swimming in it.  Look for a suit with a low neckline and 5mm neoprene in the legs.

Some of the bigger shops (ex. Sports Basement in the Bay Area) will have rental suits from last year at really good deals.

2012-08-01 10:52 AM

what do folks think of the CAmaro Speedskin?   I am new to triathlons and am looking for a good suit without a huge investment.  Seems you can get these, full suits, for under $150. for 2/3 mm
2012-08-16 11:30 PM

Grafton
Try looking at Synergy wetsuits.. Great suit, super bouyant and feel great. Their customer service is INCREDIBLE! I bought a Hybrid off of ebay a year ago and the zipper broke a few weeks back. I called Synergy and they said to send it back. I expected to have to pay for the repair. They sent me an entire brand new suit in a few days at no cost. I love this suit! and no I do not work for the company. I can't say enough...You won't be disappointed.
2012-08-20 10:32 AM
in reply to: #4341078

You can also just purchase the DeSoto speed tube pants for triathlons.  The pants will keep your legs high and streamline.  Add the speed tube vest to improve form and to allow unrestricted shoulder motion.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » type of wetsuit? Rss Feed