General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bellingham area bike rental, group rides, OWS July 19-26? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-03 11:07 AM

New user

Austin, Texas
Subject: Bellingham area bike rental, group rides, OWS July 19-26?

Hi all! I'm going to be visiting family in B'ham for a couple weeks, trying not to get off my training schedule. I have a 3.5 hour ride (50ish miles?)/30 minute run on Saturday the 21st, and then shorter brick workouts on the 24th and 26th that I thought I could do in a gym if necessary (spin class, then run).

I'm trying to decide whether to rent a bike there or bring my own on the plane. It seems like a pain to pack up my bike for just the one long ride (though if I brought it I'd do all three brick workouts with it). Does anybody rent decent tri bikes in Bellingham? I saw that Fairhaven Bike & Ski has a road bike for rent, but I would much rather get the practice in aero. If anybody would be open to renting their own bike or a spare, I'd be happy to do that, too. I ride a size small Shiv at the moment, have been fitted on a 51 cm Guru, am 5'7" ~150 lbs.

Are there any regular group Saturday rides or 50-mile routes that anybody can recommend? I could ride by myself, but it's more fun with a bunch.

And since I'd like to get some wetsuit practice in while I'm there, it would be great to find out about any open water swims people do as a group. Or if anybody would like to swim with me and where the best place is (Lake Padden? Lake Whatcom?). I'm planning to swim the 23rd at Lake Padden, and I also have swims scheduled for the 20th and 25th that could be done anywhere.

All suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Sandra

2012-07-05 1:02 PM
in reply to: #4292616

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Bellingham area bike rental, group rides, OWS July 19-26?

You picked a great time to visit as the weather should be great after a lousy start to summer.  I can't help you with the bike situation as Fairhaven is the only place I know of that rents decent road bikes and I don't group ride.  As far as routes though, my favorite is a ride out to Birch Bay and back.  Here is a link to the route.

http://www.tourdewhatcom.com/pdfs/2011TourDeWhatcom50mileRoute.pdf

You can extend out to almost 70 miles by continueing out to Semihamoo.

Here is a link to a very popular, shorter hilly ride of 21 miles that you could do a few loops of.

http://www.trithecookie.com/pages/Maps/maps_padtri_comp_2006.pdf

As far as swimming, it doesn't get much better than Lake Padden.  I swim there about three days a week.  The swimming area is within the first entrance to the park near the bathroom/bath house.  There are groups that swim there all the time but at any given time there are people swimming there.  There is also a very nice path around the Lake that is 2.5 miles if you're planning on doing any running.  Other good runs would be the trail that parallels Chuckanut Drive or the Waterfront trail between Fairhaven and Bellingham.

PM me when you plan to swim and I'll try to join you.

Edited by popsracer 2012-07-05 1:05 PM
2012-07-05 2:34 PM

New user

Austin, Texas
Thanks for the routes! I'll PM you when I'm heading to Padden.
2012-07-09 1:06 PM

New user
Pasco, Wa
I will say that I wouldn't count on being able to find a spin class to attend.  I've never figured this out, but Bellingham seems to be entirely devoid of this form of exercise.  I know the "City Gym" on the Guide offers a cycle class, but I've been, and have not been impressed (I teach spin though, so I'm a little biased).  But this time of year, the weather in Bham is too nice to spend it inside anyway.
2012-07-09 1:47 PM
in reply to: #4301669

User image

Expert
B'ham

fgholloway - 2012-07-09 11:06 AM I will say that I wouldn't count on being able to find a spin class to attend.  I've never figured this out, but Bellingham seems to be entirely devoid of this form of exercise.  I know the "City Gym" on the Guide offers a cycle class, but I've been, and have not been impressed (I teach spin though, so I'm a little biased).  But this time of year, the weather in Bham is too nice to spend it inside anyway.

Agree that it's too nice to be indoors, but there are spin classes to be found if that's what you want.  Bellingham Athletic Club has 6a and 12n classes on Tues (Instructor at noon is intense, in a good way) and at 6a on Thurs as well.  I think the drop in price is in the $8-10 range for a class.

http://www.bellinghamathleticclub.com/

2012-07-10 8:46 AM

New user
Pasco, Wa
Last time I was there, BAC did not allow guests who were not accompanied by a member.  They may have changed that rule, but that was my experience less than a year ago.

2012-07-10 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4303138

New user

Austin, Texas
Thanks! I'll get in touch with BAC to verify their policy and see if anyone in my family knows a member.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bellingham area bike rental, group rides, OWS July 19-26? Rss Feed