General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight Gain at Peak Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-03 7:50 PM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Subject: Weight Gain at Peak Training

I was at my ideal racing weight a month ago (124 lbs) and honestly didn't really think much about what I ate. I'm not sure what has happened other than I stopped nursing my son in the past three weeks (however he wasn't nursing much and it was a gradual taper, so it's not like I went from 800 cals a day to nothing that drastically - I'd say he was only nursing twice at the most a month ago) but I have gained at least 7 lbs.  It seems like every time I get on the scale I weigh more. I can see it in photos, my clothes aren't fitting, and I'm sure it's going to affect my speed.  

The weird thing is, I'm training more than ever.  This past weekend I biked the whole IM Louisville course and ran 13 miles on top of an already packed week of training.  Training is averaging 14-17 hours a week right now.  WHY am I gaining?!?!  I am trying to figure out how to get the extra weight off in the next  month but I know I have pretty high caloric needs with all the training.  So frustrating!

2012-07-04 7:06 AM
in reply to: #4293715

User image

Regular
Akron
Subject: RE: Weight Gain at Peak Training
I felt the same as you did. I hopped on the elliptical for some training (due to injury) and feel I'm starting to come back down, however I just started to taper. ughhhh! I just don't get it! I asked someone else on here and she said she read an article on IM training that most women gain and men lose! WTH! SCREWED AGAIN! I would make sure you are eating enough and/or tracking calories. My forum should be down a little. I didn't get any real help though. Sorry!

Edited by SEADOCHA 2012-07-04 7:07 AM
2012-07-05 7:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois

Calories in/calories burned, it's really that simple. I think we often make the mistake of thinking we are burning more calories then we really are. We then eat more then we should and on comes some extra pounds. You see it on these forums quite often, someone will say "I gained weight while I was training for an IM, how is that possible"? It's possible because they took in more calories then they were consuming. Absent some sort of medical condition, it's really that simple.

Counting the calories we take in each day is pretty simple. Calculating the calories we burn isn't as straight forward and I think we (I'm including myself) often figure on the high side. Next thing you know there are a few extra pounds gained. I'm 11 weeks out from my "A" HIM. I have been watching my diet very closely this year and I have been amazed at how little "extra" I need to consume even during fairly big weeks of training. Once you are down to your ideal race weight (whatever that is for you) your body is a very efficient machine.

Good luck with your training and I hope you get the intake/burn worked out.

2012-07-05 9:38 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

Ditto!  Same happened to me.  I gained several pounds while training long and have yet to get rid of it!  People try to tell me I've gained muscle, but I know it is not.  excessive cardio = excessive hunger.  As other have said, it is very difficult to balance calories in/calories out when training long because you feel like you are in a state of starvation at all times!

Personally, the only thing I think helps (other than reducing calories) is weight/strength training in addition too all of your cardio. 

Been Greenfield has a podcast  (July 4) about called "How Exercise Makes You Fat."  I have not listened to it yet, but I plan to because I wonder if it will shed some light on this subject.

2012-07-05 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
"Once you are down to your ideal race weight (whatever that is for you) your body is a very efficient machine."

This. I hit race weight of 117 for IMSG in early May, stayed at race weight right into training for a 50 mile Ultra.

Most people are surprised at the amount of food I 'dont' eat. My weight is stable, milage increasing, recover really quick, gaining speed so I have my nutrition tightly dialed in.

IMHO Many people assume you need to eat mass quantities of food during heavy training and/or that hunger is a signal that you 'must' eat.

Also, be really honest with yourself about how much you need to eat to maintain vs. how much you think you need to eat to maintain.

Edited by LittleCat 2012-07-05 10:48 AM
2012-07-06 6:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Honestly, it could be your hormones.  Is this your first baby?  I BF all 4 of my kids (all for different amounts of time), and hormones went crazy once I stopped BFing.  It took a good 4-5 mos. each time for things to settle down.  Just tossing this out as a possibility....

2012-07-07 1:44 PM
in reply to: #4295193

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Maria527 - 2012-07-05 10:38 AM

Ditto!  Same happened to me.  I gained several pounds while training long and have yet to get rid of it!  People try to tell me I've gained muscle, but I know it is not.  excessive cardio = excessive hunger.  As other have said, it is very difficult to balance calories in/calories out when training long because you feel like you are in a state of starvation at all times!

Personally, the only thing I think helps (other than reducing calories) is weight/strength training in addition too all of your cardio. 

Been Greenfield has a podcast  (July 4) about called "How Exercise Makes You Fat."  I have not listened to it yet, but I plan to because I wonder if it will shed some light on this subject.

The same thing happens to me every time I train for an IM!  It's just crazy (and discouragining)  but I've come to the realization that all the training makes me overly hungry.  Since I stay hungry all the time I think it's ok to eat more.  Looking back, I ate probably too many carbs than I needed during my training which caused the weight gain.  Eating more protein will keep you fuller longer and takes more energy for your body to break it down, so ideally it's good to try eat a lot of protein during IM training.  Plus- it helps with muscle recovery.  Although it's much easier said than done- it's hard to want to eat protein when you are just craving carby food- which is ALWAYS what happens to me.

It's trickly though- getting enough cals to have the energy and get through those long workouts and recover, yet not eat too much. I still haven't mastered that.

One more thing to think about- some of the weight could be water weight.  With all the gels, sports drinks, and salt tablets it's expected that you will retain more water than usual when training.  Especially if you are consuming all of that almost every day.

2012-07-16 6:08 PM

User image

Three thoughts. First, Congrats on bf'ing. It's hard to do and train. Great job mama. Second, start logging your food. My downfall was the mayo, te ranch dressing, the extra cheese.... All the little extras I added, but didn't properly account for. Make sure you're not eating to much, but also make sure you're eating enough. Third - have you changed how you're eating? Too little salt, too much salt, more carbs than previously, dehydrating yourself.... All these have the potential to shift the water balance in your body - frequently seen as weight gain and bloating. Speaking of weight gain and bloating - what's your hormone, womanly cycle like? That can screw things up too. Just some thoughts, don't need an answer. But don't panic. And bring your towel .
2012-07-17 7:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Just another couple thoughts...

I hear a lot of people talking about using their race nutrition strategy while training on the bike.  Each gel is roughly equivalent to 1/3 to 1/2 of a candy bar in terms of calories, so if you take a gel every 45 min and ride 4 hours it adds up quickly.  I always under-consume when training, unless I am specifically trying to dial in my nutrition plan (which I do at most a few times a year.)

I also hear of people snacking on gels, chomps, etc. outside of normal training.  I think these items are not a good snack choice.

2012-08-08 9:44 PM

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland

IMHO overtraining (peak period is likely to happen) brings you eating more. Your mind is very stressed and you start binge eating easily.

Then in parallel you have the justification that you are preparing for an Ironman and you are training a lot and you need to eat and and and...and you loose control of calories

2012-08-09 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4316880

User image

Expert
wbattaile - 2012-07-17 7:00 PM

Just another couple thoughts...

I hear a lot of people talking about using their race nutrition strategy while training on the bike.  Each gel is roughly equivalent to 1/3 to 1/2 of a candy bar in terms of calories, so if you take a gel every 45 min and ride 4 hours it adds up quickly.  I always under-consume when training, unless I am specifically trying to dial in my nutrition plan (which I do at most a few times a year.)

So true for me.  I don't eat nearly as much on the bike in training as I do for a race.  I might do it once or twice but I don't need to have energy off the bike in training outside of a shorter brick.  But if I took my 300 cal per hour that I do in a race I'd have an extra 1,500 - 1,800 cals just on the bike.  that is a lot of calories with our adding in any meals.

enjoy,

Duane

2012-08-13 2:40 AM

User image

Regular

I began gaining weight at the begining of the peak period. I have IM Wales in 5 weeks and needed to address this situation quickly. I read an article on this issue. It said, during IM training we tend to pile in as many carbs as possible in the belief that we need these carbs for energy. Indeed on big training days such as a four hour hard ride, you do need plenty of carbs, but for most shorter training periods you should be able to get enough energy from natural protiens and Veg. get rid of bread and anything else that bloats you. Eggs for breakfast with beans. Potatoes, salad veg and Chicken for other meals. I started this theory and lost 3 pounds in just over a week. You may find yourself bonking on a few sessions that turned out to be harder than you expected but you learn from it.

Good luck.

2012-12-12 11:33 AM

Are you sure you are not gaining muscle weight? Because you are training more that ever this would explain the incremental weight gain. Breastfeeding in general can make a woman lose weight since the child will depend on your stored fat for the milk but that if you were following a healthy diet and eating all kind of nutrients (vitamins, carbs,fibers…etc). But to know if this is a muscle weight either look at yourself in the mirror and see if you are more fit. If you can’t tell then ask your friend to tell you if you gain weight in a chunky fatty way (sort of from fresh eyes).

2012-12-13 1:38 PM
in reply to: #4295377

User image

Extreme Veteran

LittleCat - 2012-07-05 11:47 AM "Once you are down to your ideal race weight (whatever that is for you) your body is a very efficient machine." This. I hit race weight of 117 for IMSG in early May, stayed at race weight right into training for a 50 mile Ultra. Most people are surprised at the amount of food I 'dont' eat. My weight is stable, milage increasing, recover really quick, gaining speed so I have my nutrition tightly dialed in. IMHO Many people assume you need to eat mass quantities of food during heavy training and/or that hunger is a signal that you 'must' eat. Also, be really honest with yourself about how much you need to eat to maintain vs. how much you think you need to eat to maintain.

BINGO!!!!

no amount of training is going to account for a big plate of food...

Log EVERY LITTLE thing you eat for a week and u will find your answer 

2012-12-13 3:43 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair
One it is not as easy as cals in/cals out.  This is the crap ectos say.  Two your hormones are going to readjust after you stop breastfeeding.  Give it some time.  Three if you're training more than your cortisol levels are up, yes a lot of weight gain is hormonal, and you need to look at your recovery strategies.  Also what kind of food are you eating?  Processed foods vs. non processed, etc. 
2012-12-14 5:26 PM

I lost 19 pounds last year while training to do a half ironman and a marathon.  I am a 6'3" male and went from 209 to 190 while eating roughly 4000 calories per day.  I am active at work as well, but after losing that weight in roughly 2 months I fluctuated between 190 and 198 for the next couple months while eating the same exact foods.  The thing is, my body wasn't used to doing that much work and was not accustomed so naturally I lost weight.  I could pretty much use exactly what it said on a treadmill for my calories burned and it would be right.

After I got further into training my body was getting used to the training and was working more efficiently and I was not burning the same amount of calories for the same workouts.  Your eating and diet then needs to adjust.  I started making sure I do not eat anything after 7:30pm now and it is working out wonderfully so far.  There were a couple days where I felt starved not eating after 7:30, but I survived.  I am actually feeling a lot better now and realize that 2500 calories is just fine on most days.  Food is nutrition, and while it can taste good, it is not comfort.

2012-12-15 7:38 AM
in reply to: #4534358

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
uhcoog - 2012-12-13 3:43 PMOne it is not as easy as cals in/cals out.  This is the crap ectos say.  Two your hormones are going to readjust after you stop breastfeeding.  Give it some time.  Three if you're training more than your cortisol levels are up, yes a lot of weight gain is hormonal, and you need to look at your recovery strategies.  Also what kind of food are you eating?  Processed foods vs. non processed, etc. 
I believe if you would read my entire post you would see that I said minus a medical condition it's calories in calories out. It isn't crap. This is triathlon web site. For the vast majority of people on here it really is simple, burn more calories than you put in your mouth and you will lose weight.
2012-12-15 4:30 PM
in reply to: #4536222

User image

Pro
CyFair

TriBoilermaker - 2012-12-15 7:38 AM
uhcoog - 2012-12-13 3:43 PMOne it is not as easy as cals in/cals out.  This is the crap ectos say.  Two your hormones are going to readjust after you stop breastfeeding.  Give it some time.  Three if you're training more than your cortisol levels are up, yes a lot of weight gain is hormonal, and you need to look at your recovery strategies.  Also what kind of food are you eating?  Processed foods vs. non processed, etc. 
I believe if you would read my entire post you would see that I said minus a medical condition it's calories in calories out. It isn't crap. This is triathlon web site. For the vast majority of people on here it really is simple, burn more calories than you put in your mouth and you will lose weight.

It's actually not that simple.  It is for people with certain body types.  It isn't for others.  Cortisol at peak training levels is peaking as well.  It makes you hold fat, especially belly fat in men.  Hormonal responses (cortisol, insulin, etc) have quite a bit to do with whether or not you hold on to wieght. 

2012-12-15 5:56 PM
in reply to: #4536441

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
uhcoog - 2012-12-15 4:30 PM

TriBoilermaker - 2012-12-15 7:38 AM

It's actually not that simple.  It is for people with certain body types.  It isn't for others.  Cortisol at peak training levels is peaking as well.  It makes you hold fat, especially belly fat in men.  Hormonal responses (cortisol, insulin, etc) have quite a bit to do with whether or not you hold on to wieght. 

Just so I'm clear what you are saying: If a typical (no medical conditions) triathlete runs a caloric deficit you are saying they will hold onto weight? Because that is what I was saying to the OP. You seem to be assuming they have some medical condition and I'm not. I still say that the vast majority of people on here will lose weight if they simply burn more than they eat. Most people that gain weight while training for an IM do so because they are eating too much not because they have something wrong with them. I think we have beat this horse enough so I will leave it at that.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight Gain at Peak Training Rss Feed