General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Upgrading tri bike options. Big guys Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-08 8:04 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Subject: Upgrading tri bike options. Big guys
What's the first thing I should upgrade on a stock bike? I know everybody primarily says wheels. I have an issue. All you smaller people have a wide variety of wheels to choose from. I'm 240 lbs and honestly am terrified to purchase new wheels for fear they can't handle me. Now I plan on losing more weight on my way to my first HIM in october. However ideally I want to be 220 by then. Still heavy by tri standards. I'll never be 175 again and am okay with that. Are wheels still the first thing I should buy? If so any bigger guys wanna weight in on what to purchase (pun intended Tongue out) I'd like to buy second hand but get nervous because there is no warranty if not bought from a LBS. The only wheels I can find mostly have a weight limit of 220 max.

2012-07-08 11:25 PM
in reply to: #4300369

Subject: RE: Upgrading tri bike options. Big guys

HED and ZIPP have builds for heavier guys (HED calls theirs "stallion build"), and HED3 trispokes are pretty much bombproof.

My recommendation is a HED3 up front (at your weight you can handle it in crosswinds), and 32 spoke Mavic Open Pro bombproof box rim in the back with a wheelbuilder disc cover.  That combo is super-durable and wicked fast.

2012-07-09 5:57 AM
in reply to: #4300577

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Trath-L33T - 2012-07-09 12:25 AM

HED and ZIPP have builds for heavier guys (HED calls theirs "stallion build"), and HED3 trispokes are pretty much bombproof.

My recommendation is a HED3 up front (at your weight you can handle it in crosswinds), and 32 spoke Mavic Open Pro bombproof box rim in the back with a wheelbuilder disc cover.  That combo is super-durable and wicked fast.

x2. Especially the HED3's. Near indestructible. Also, get a pair of strong, hand built training wheels. Mavic Open Pro with Ultegra hubs (32 rear and 28 front...), those will last you for YEARS before you have to even true them.

Except for wheels, I always look at the rear derailleur for a first upgrade. All manufacturers only make one level of bar end shifters, so those are already top of the line. The rear derailleur is the mechanical part being used the most on a tri bike.

Also, many times manufacturers saves money by calling a bike an "Ultegra bike", but the often the crank and the brakes are not Ultegra, but something less expensive... if that's your case, let us know... some cranks are, well not the greatest, and some cranks are actually pretty darn good. Same goes for brakes. Don't want to steer you in the wrong direction.

So list goes something like this...
HED 3 front (should run you about $300...)
Mavic Open Pro front and rear (you can often find these used for $3-400)
Rear wheel cover (from wheelbuilder.com, $90)

Rear derailleur (Shimano Dura-Ace), $120 used
2012-07-09 12:08 PM
in reply to: #4300369

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL

would it be completely silly to get an aerojacket for a stock felt rear wheel? i understand people's points in wanting to be as light as possible but I understand that if I want to lose weight on the bike it could come from the engine Tongue out i'm looking in upgrading wheels more for the aero aspect and less for weight loss.

My question I guess would be get a deep (60-90mm) bombproof front wheel and just throw a jacket on my existing rear. Would the Mavic's make that much difference?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Upgrading tri bike options. Big guys Rss Feed