General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I swimming too hard in races? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-09 11:39 AM

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Am I swimming too hard in races?

Ok, trying to put it all together on race day.  I'm wondering how most people feel going into T1 after the swim?  Are you feeling like you're just getting warmed up?  Little tired but nothing bad?

What I'm finding is I'm having to spend the first 3-5 miles on the bike trying to calm down and get my HR in check which makes me wonder if I'm swimming too hard?  I'm not gasping for air on my race swims but I'm wondering if being amped up for race day is having that big of an affect on my perceived effort.  Talking about HIM and Olympic distances.

To quantify some numbers.  when I do 100's in the pool I can sometimes break 1:30 / 100 yd with a sprint effort.  Hard effort repeats are 1:35 to 1:40 with 15 seconds rest.  I swam a 26:20 this past weekend which if the distance is correct puts me at 1:35 / 100 yd

I'm losing HUGE time in the runs typically when my bricks in training work out well

2012-07-09 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4301411

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Am I swimming too hard in races?

It's going to be extremely tough to wear yourself out in the swim. You'll *need* / have to back off before you dig yourself into a hole that's going to really hurt the rest of your race.

- edit -

Let me rephrase... I don't think you can go too far out of your fitness level in a swim... but that doesn't mean things like leaving your comfort zone (or just excitement) can't spike your HR or mess you up. Also, being disoriented can hurt.

Edited by Leegoocrap 2012-07-09 11:52 AM
2012-07-09 11:45 AM

User image

Chicago
jamgam - 2012-07-09 11:39 AM

Ok, trying to put it all together on race day.  I'm wondering how most people feel going into T1 after the swim?  Are you feeling like you're just getting warmed up?  Little tired but nothing bad?

What I'm finding is I'm having to spend the first 3-5 miles on the bike trying to calm down and get my HR in check which makes me wonder if I'm swimming too hard?  I'm not gasping for air on my race swims but I'm wondering if being amped up for race day is having that big of an affect on my perceived effort.  Talking about HIM and Olympic distances.

I find myself seriously gassed getting out of the water as well.  And that's with pretty low perceived effort.  My T1 is usually slow because I'm trying to recover a little, and I spend the first portion of the bike trying to get my HR under control before I feel like I've hit a groove.

Not sure what it is...pool swims don't give me any issue.  More and more I realize that the only thing that replicates an open water tri swim with hundreds of people is....an open water tri swim with hundreds of people.  This doesn't mean to stop putting in the work in the pool, but - for me anyway - it means that the swim is it's own beast and is tough to prepare for.  I guess it's mainly because I'm not the greatest swimmer, but things throw me off - contact, waves, sighting - and that stuff spikes my HR in almost every swim.

2012-07-09 11:48 AM

Master
Northern IL
How much are you swimming? It's not just pacing, but being conditioned to go the distance with some effort. I've done noticeably better in duathlons and dropped swim tris. And Run 1 was at a higher RPE than any swim has been.
2012-07-09 11:50 AM

User image

Master
jamgam - 2012-07-09 12:39 PM

To quantify some numbers.  when I do 100's in the pool I can sometimes break 1:30 / 100 yd with a sprint effort.  Hard effort repeats are 1:35 to 1:40 with 15 seconds rest.  I swam a 26:20 this past weekend which if the distance is correct puts me at 1:35 / 100 yd

I'm losing HUGE time in the runs typically when my bricks in training work out well

I think you've answered your own question here. 

In anything but a sprint (which should, obviously, be at sprint pace), I generally go at "strong" pace but never "hard" pace.  This means that I don't ever breathe hard in these races and am not winded at all exiting the swim.  I breathe every 3 strokes just like in training.  For IM distance, I go at easy pace.  For IM, I treat the swim as a warm up. 

While conventional wisdom suggests that you should go out hard for the first few hundred meters of the swim to clear the pack, I have had much more success at longer distance races by going at a steady pace and clearing the pack by swimming around them.  You don't want to burn matches until you absolutely have to burn them and the 40 seconds gained on the field by sprinting ahead of them at the swim start is easily lost in your first mile of walk/run or just walk if your match-burning compromises your run.

Edited to be more responsive to the OP.

Edited by Mrs. brown_dog_us 2012-07-09 11:51 AM
2012-07-09 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4301438

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA

brigby1 - 2012-07-09 12:48 PM How much are you swimming? It's not just pacing, but being conditioned to go the distance with some effort. I've done noticeably better in duathlons and dropped swim tris. And Run 1 was at a higher RPE than any swim has been.

2 Masters sessions per week which range from 3000-4000 yards and one solo sesson which is about 3000 yds

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I swimming too hard in races? Rss Feed