General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spin Class for Summer interval rides?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-10 9:18 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: Spin Class for Summer interval rides??

Besides the bike handling aspect, what are some of the other disadvantages of doing spin classes as my interval rides?? I do my best to set up the bike to mimic my own and I basically stay in aero (also known as "position 3" to all the spinners. LOL) the entire time unless I'm cranking up the resistance. Also, I don't mess around with changing my hand/butt position like the instructor yells out trying to imitate an actual ride as well as possible.

I definitely notice that I work way harder in the class as far as my HR is concerned and my legs are on fire pretty much the whole time. I still try to get at least one shorter ride in a week and I always get in my long rides during the weekends on my actual bike (In the AM)...at this point in my training about 50-70 miles. The only reason why I'm opting for this now is because it's been anywhere between 110-115 this summer with no sign of relief...Mornings are doable, but they still suck!

So is this sufficient??

2012-07-10 9:23 PM
in reply to: #4304854

Subject: RE: Spin Class for Summer interval rides??
I like the spin for off-season with no class. This way I don't feel the "group class peer pressure". All workouts are HR intervals. Any biking is better than none tho
2012-07-10 9:30 PM

Master
Northern IL
Since you're avoiding any goofy stuff a spin class might do and going noticeably harder than you would otherwise, yes, it will help.
2012-07-11 6:26 AM

Regular
oklahoma

ha, i was talked into doing a spin class by my gf, man i'm glad i did! some of those instructors kick your booty! I sweat tons, heart rate up, legs on fire. I really dial up the resistance and kill it though. feels great. I feel it has benefited me a ton. I also do a mock run of a 12 mile sprint ride, and do a long ride on the weekend. i have found it a sweet spot for my sprint and oly training.

2012-07-11 6:58 AM

User image

Reading, PA
Spin class is definitely a good bike work out. Keeps me in shape in the off-season and I use it if weather is crappy in the summer too. One big thing with spin is you never get to coast like you do after riding up a big-a$$ hill outside. When you go up a "hill" in spin class the reward is . . more pedaling.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spin Class for Summer interval rides?? Rss Feed