General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to get comfortable riding with car traffic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-07-11 10:03 PM
in reply to: #4305808

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Subject: RE: How to get comfortable riding with car traffic

I agree that the key is finding roads that you'll be safe on.  For me those are ones that aren't too busy but do get some traffic, and don't have a lot of places to turn off.  Also, not riding on main roads during rush hour.

I've found that little-traveled roads with lots of houses off them are the worst- the people driving on them aren't used to watching for anyone, much less bikes, and there can be lots of danger from people backing out of driveways and opening doors.

So- a road that's busy enough that drivers pay attention but not so busy that they might turn in front of you.  Easy to find, right?

2012-07-11 10:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
A healthy dose of 'predetermination' is the only way to survive (and enjoy) a ride in Thailand. If it is your time, there is nothing you can do. So, relax but stay alert; avoid the reptiles and dogs; enjoy the ride.
2012-07-11 11:10 PM

User image

Pro

We've quit riding on roads.  It's mostly because I ride with my kids alot now and I don't want them out there, but I have found I enjoy it more as well.  It requires us to haul the bikes to a dedicated trail, so it ads some time....but it is what it is.  We're lucky enough to have hundreds of miles of trails within 40 minutes of driving.  I realize that's not the case for everyone.  If that's your situation......time and experience is your only hope.  There has been some good advice for you on this thread.

Edited by Left Brain 2012-07-11 11:13 PM
2012-07-12 6:47 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Used to live in northern NJ and had to ride in traffic (there's always traffic in NJ... and no way to get to anything that even resembles an open road if not riding through it or driving away from it...). First rule riding in traffic, use hand signals (stop, turn/going straight, slow, etc.). Second, make sure you follow the traffic rules and ride like you would in a car, you're much more predictable if you stay visible and follow the rules. Stop at stop signs, stop at red lights, don't weave through traffic (in NJ, there's times where a bike can move much faster than a car due to congestion)...

... and most important, never assume that a car sees you or that they will respect you. Assume that everyone behind the wheel is a ruthless idiot (which is not necessarily the case, but if you make that assumption, you will stay alert)
2012-07-12 6:54 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

If you think you're going to be riding the same route a lot it's a good idea to take a slow lap to check for any potholes, sewer covers, etc and learn where any pinch points are around turns or where the shoulder gets really thin (bridges, underpasses, etc), that way when you do have traffic going by you, you at least know what to expect from the road for the most part and can even slow down at certain points if it freaks you out.

2012-07-12 7:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

I ride on rural roads and wear a mirror on my sunglasses.  I keep tabs on cars coming behind me and will watch them to determine if their reaction to me on the road.  I take some precautions to keep myself safe. I don't ride near the white line.  Cars will try to pass you if they think they can squeeze between you and an approaching car in the other lane. 

Never take for granted that the driver behind you is taking your safety as a priority.  I had cars pass me while I had my arm out showing I was turning.  The mirror glasses have saved my life more than once.

I also try to stay off of roads with speeds over 55 MPH.

Ride smart and safe.

2012-07-12 8:17 AM

Try to be as clear and predictable as possible in your manoeuvers and always stop / go wide when in doubt.

Hook up where/if possible with little groups of other riders for a chat and a draft.

Not much else you can do. If everybody starts riding on trainers to mitigate risks, the situation for road bikers where you live will never improve. 

Here in bicycle-crazy Belgium it's actually mostly the drivers complaining about being bullied by cyclists (riding on roads iso bike lanes, big groups hard to pass, ...). Funny how that works. The other week I saw on the news someone was driving on a bike & local traffic only path along a canal and ended up getting punched and thrown in the water by a group of cyclists. Turns out he was legally driving to his remote home, poor guy. During the interview on the road where the incident happened, as if on cue, some bikers rode by and shouted profanities for partially blocking the road

2012-07-12 11:21 AM
in reply to: #4306580

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

sccaits5 - 2012-07-11 5:05 PM Sounds like you've been riding at Island Lake? Hines Drive is close to you, have you tried that? Huron River Drive is good. I used to ride back in the late 80's early 90's out in the Dexter/Hamburg but too crazy now. Livonia's a little tough, too many intersections and lights.

You've got it, Island Lake.  I am close to Hines Drive but for one thing, some of the younger kids "cruise" that stretch and drive like a-holes.  Secondly, there are so many lights.  Doesn't all that stop and go kill a ride?  It seems like if you're potentially waiting at reds ever mile that's not very good training, right?  That was another question related to my OP, for those of you who do ride with traffic, aren't you stopping much more frequently?  In my mind when I go out for a ride, there's no stopping unless I have an emergency.  Slowing for turns maybe, but no stopping......?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to get comfortable riding with car traffic Rss Feed  

of 2