General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-05-07 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4306637

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group

How long did it you to recovery from the gallbladder surgery? 

I have one coming up in early June.  wondering if my tri season is basicly over since the tri I was looking to do is in early July.

2013-05-07 4:10 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
hang in there.  It could be worse.  Hopefully you will be ready to go soon.  I know Chicago tri of 2012 and Chicago Marathon of 2012 were the worse I ever did but they felt the best after I finished.  Why?  I struggled so much with my health to get to that point.  I got mono could not train for like 9 months and gained 40 lbs because of it.  I could not longer run with the group and really struggled. 
2013-05-07 4:11 PM
in reply to: #4731949

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
I was told a fit person could return to training in 2-3 weeks.  My doctor said that someone as heavy as me should not even start to run until at least a month.  It wasn't external scars or wounds that were the danger for me.  It was the weakening of my internal wounds he was worried about.  He said all the bouncing from running or sitting in a cycling position would cause my internal wounds to open and I'd end up with a hernia.  I started walking after four weeks, jogging after six.  Things were going along nicely until my brother played the fool.
2013-05-07 4:16 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Was swimming ok for you after a couple of weeks?
2013-05-07 4:23 PM
in reply to: #4731975

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Yes, swimming was permitted as soon as the stitches washed off in the shower.
2013-05-07 4:29 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Leather - hang in there brother! Remember triathlon is an endurance sport. I think that applies to our training and approach to the sport, and not just the race. Do what you can, when you can! Each step along the way is just another milestone that proves you're on the right track! After a shoulder surgery that knocked me down for a while, I now realize that it couldn't knock me out. We'll come back stronger!

2013-05-07 7:41 PM
in reply to: #4732003

Leather - Sorry to hear about your loss.  I hope you don't give up on your HIM training.  Crossing that finish line will be a little more bittersweet than you originally anticipated, but imagine the pride and sense of accomplishment you will have when you do. 

Sorry to hear about your arm as well.  I guess, think of it as an excuse to focus on the run.

Hang in there, buddy!

2013-05-07 8:43 PM

User image

Leather, while the gall bladder surgery was unexected, it's not unlike an unexpected sports injury. Sometimes they can't be prevented along with prescribed periods of recovery. Continue doing what your able. Consider weight training (if permitted), walking, or just stretching those quads. Plenty of lifetime to get the HIM in.

2013-05-08 10:10 AM

User image

Calgary, AB

Leatherneck -- sorry about the loss of your mom, and your injury.   As others have suggested -- perhaps time for a run focus?  Sign up for a 5K or 10K...  just don't lose the momentum!

2013-05-11 2:35 PM

User image

I finished my first tri this morning at about 1:30 by my calculation. I'll post my official stats when they are available. Here's how it went.

It's a drizzly and overcast day in Connecticut. It had rained all night and still here an there by 7:30 am. The fog had cleared the lake's surface. The water was COLD and glad to have the wetsuit rental. This was a fresh water swim and all my training in the lap pool went completely out the window. The water was choppy and it was difficult for me to keep my head down and breath normally. My friend who is a swim coach, is also unaccustomed to open water swim in cold conditions, did the back stroke the whole time. One guy in our wave had to be pulled from the water.

I took my time in T1 as I didn't want to forget anything. I needed the rest after the swim anyhow. On my next tri, I'll be better prepared and things should go more smoothly. I still made it out ahead of my swim coach and my other friend who started 2 waves ahead of us.

I ran my bike up the hill from the transition area, following a fellow on a much more expensive bike, jersey, and aero helm struggled to get his clips locked in. I know the feeling, however, this time I passed him right by. Not sure if he was one of the folkes who eventually overtook me. It's a hilly course and the roads were still wet with fresh rain. Branches overhead seemed to trap the humidity.

Not long into the ride, I spied another fellow walking his bike back in the opposite direction. He was in no apparent distress and gathered he was having mechanical troubles. I later learned he dumped his bike and broke and arm.

Two times around the loop and I was headed back the way I came. While it was still early morning by most standards, many residents were peering from their driveways observing the activity.

T2 went more quickly. With no sign of my friends, I wanted to keep moving. My legs were jelly and feet a bit numb. (I need to look into this, perhaps my shoes don't fit correctly). I managed a slow trot out of the transition area along the beach.

The run was somewhat uneventful. It was basically a strait shot along a upwardly winding road along the shoreline. The roads were wet in spots but the drizzel was gone. Not that it mattered as I didn't have a dry piece of clothing at this point. I did walk/run on a couple of occassions. The route doubled back at the half way point amongst a ritzy housing development.

My swim coach (also a runner) passed me at the half way mark. I didn't try to keep up with her kept her in sight through the finish line. About the time I was wondering where my other friend was, we passed on my descent. I kept a pretty good pace to the finish line. What little extra energy I had in reserve, was used up to pass a couple of folks who passed me a on the ascent.

The event was well orgainzed. About 1/4 of everyone there raised their hand at the starting location, indicating that this was their first tri. There was alot of nervous energy, especially about the water temperature and the wet roads. Everyone was very friendly. For one girl in my wave, this was her first tri. She only got back into the water 1 month ago and had been fighting fears stemming from a river-water accident 10 years ago. I didn't get details but gathered the experience was very traumatic. She made it.

Hope you enjoyed my account of today's event. My friends and I are already planning an event next month.

2013-05-11 6:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Jeff congratulations dude, you've done it!  Your report made a nice read.

2013-05-11 10:18 PM

Congrats Jeff! Sounds like a solid race. I'm looking forward to when I can post on here the results of my first race.

My feet finally felt good enough to get back on the bike, so I took a long lunch and rode about 21 miles. It was roughly the same ride as my road bike inaugural ride a couple months ago. I can tell a huge difference already. There are a couple of hills on that ride that I was barely able to make it up last time. this time, no problem. I ran out of gears going up one side but was still able to spin at a decent rate. On the way back its a little more gradual and I didnt get out of the big ring up front (last time I was out of gears at that point too). The feet hurt like hell for the first couple miles, but then they never acted up again. Tomorrow I have a 30 mile loop planned which includes that hill that tried to kill me on Monday. I was ranked 91/95 on Strava for that hill. Tomorrow I'm looking to crush that! My workouts are going to be mainly running this week because I have to travel for work. The good news is my hotel is right on the greenbelt, so I'll have a good running trail right out my back door.
2013-05-12 11:51 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Happy Mothers Day to all the moms in the group!
2013-05-21 9:04 PM
in reply to: Mfechter67

Hi All! Still trying to maintain some level of consistency here. I was in Boise for work all of last week and thought it would be a good opportunity to focus on the run. Unfortunately I didn't take into account the time change. When I woke up at 5am to run, it was still dark out. I just couldn't find any time in the evenings to get a workout in.

I got back on the bike yesterday and put out a pretty solid effort for me. 21 miles and averaged 16mph. If it wasn't for the trail I ride on being temporarily routed through downtown and having to stop at every stoplight, I would have averaged >18mph. Still working on regaining what I lost in the swim. Each day feels a little bit easier.

Keep up the hard work!
2013-05-25 10:10 AM
in reply to: DBGlobal

New user
I'm also back!

Actually been doing some pretty good training while away, but wasn't coming on the thread. Now that I'm in the final peak phase it feels like it is a good time to come back on and say hi to everyone. This has been a pretty solid week for me. Got in every scheduled workout so far, now long bike today and long run tomorrow.

the weather is finally starting to get nice again, so I should be taking the bike off the trainer soon, I want to get some experience outside. The trainer is just so much more time efficient.
2013-05-27 8:47 AM

I am struggling to find motivation to get in the pool. Now that I can finally get outside for runs and bikes, I have no desire to stare at the black line at the bottom of the pool. It's too bad too, because my swim was really improving. With this off and on weather we've been having, I've been on the bike as much as possible. Yesterday was a 40 mile ride from home around the lake. It's a fairly hilly ride with about 2000 feet of elevation gain. This was my longest ride to date and the most climbing I've done too. Overall I managed 15.5 mph average. Was hoping for faster, but I'm happy with that average speed. Its definitely time for a new saddle though. On the back side of the lake, I came about 2 feet from hitting a deer that ran out in front of me. I'd say that got my heart pumping, but it was already doing that. Have a great Memorial Day.

2013-05-28 7:24 AM

New user
DB...
Now don't be sad
'Cause two out of three ain't bad
2.5+ hour bike is nothing to sneeze at!

I had a solid week going but it apparently trashed my legs significantly more than I thought. On Saturday I was supposed to do a 3:45 ride, at 2:00 I was absolutely done and had to give up. On Sunday was supposed to do a 1:45 run and got in an hour. I think I'm in trouble... doing a "just-finish" program and not completing the long bike and long runs...

BUT, a couple of other threads have given me the idea to rethink my strategy. Iron Fit (the book/plan I am using) suggested that there wasn't enough time to walk the run and I just took it at face value without thinking about it. Then I read a couple race reports of people that had walked the entire run do to nagging injuries etc. and I revisited my assumptions:

I can pretty comfortably walk at 6km/h (~3.7mph), which would be a 7 hour marathon. 17 hour, cut-off, so I need to start the run by the 10 hour mark. I figure I can do the swim in ~2 hours (which is a little close for comfort to the cut-off, but hopefully the wetsuit will help me). 30mins for T1 and 15 min for T2, which I think is very safe based on race reports, but I want time if I need to use washroom etc. So that leaves me 7.25 hours to do the bike. So I need to average ~25km/h (15.5mph), going to be tough for a clyde on a hilly course, but doable. As long as I get to start the run, I am going to walk for as long as I can, keep an eye on my splits and go from there. What I am worried about is bonking/cramping and walking at 3km/h.

Last night was supposed to be a rest day, but I wanted to make-up for not competing my long bike, so I did 30 minutes on the drainer. Tonight is a swim and a run.
2013-06-01 1:34 PM
in reply to: #4757691

Pretty much been riding the bike and running again this week. Got up early and did a 50 mile ride today, which is the longest ride to date. Pretty happy with the results, Strava said I averaged 17mph over the whole ride. I even felt like I had a little more in me by the time I was done. In addition to my oly in August, I am training for a Fondo at the end of September. 108 miles around the lake, and plenty of hills. I am aiming to average at least 16mph so I can get a medal, and I was thinking that might be a bit optimistic, but now I think that if I keep with it I could do it. After reading all the reviews for the Adamo saddle on BT, I ordered the prologue yesterday. Can't wait for it to arrive and to hopefully get some feeling back in the fellas. Hope everybody has a great weekend
2013-06-01 10:46 PM

New user
good to hear that your ride went well. Let us know how the saddle works. I'm considering getting a new one as well...
2013-06-04 3:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Glad to see some of the old names re-surfacing. I really need my BT friends, more now than ever. I've been wallowing in a cesspool of self-pity ever since the last week of April. It was bad enough that Mom died, but it wasn't unexpected and in all honesty it was a blessing, quick and painless. But then my immature idiot brother destroyed my triathlon season with a single, split-second "practical joke". The result is a torn bicep that my orthopedist wants to wait 2-3 months and see if it heals by itself. Thus I can't even swim 100 yards without severe, debilitating pain. And the muscle in my neck (trapezius) is still pulled so riding more than 2 or 3 miles is out of the question. As someone suggested above, guess I am now going to start a run focused training period. You will start to see more frequent posts from me, effective tomorrow.

Oh, there is SOME good news! I called Timex to complain about my Global Trainer back in April. Told them the pace smoothing and elevation smoothing were screwy, far too sensitive, looked more like an EKG than a smoothed pace line. Julie said just send it back and they sent me a new one. I'll let you know tomorrow if I am happy with the way it smooths.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2013-06-04 3:31 PM
2013-06-04 10:15 PM

Leather, glad to hear you're back at it. Looking forward to hearing some run reports. Do you have to do any physical therapy for the arm or is it pretty much 'wait and see' right now?

I got back to the pool yesterday, and surprisingly it didn't suck. It took me a good 1000 yards to settle in, but once I did it felt pretty good. Still really bored with the pool though. The gym is putting on an open water swim class at the lake in July. I'm going to sign up for that and hopefully get comfortable in open water. I don't know that I'm not comfortable, I've never tried to do any kind of real swimming in a lake before.

Workouts for the weekend are pretty much shot, my family is coming from out of town. Luckily they aren't much of morning people so I may be able to sneak a run in one morning.

2013-06-05 6:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
DBG, No, I'm actually on an exercise restriction. See, this ortho and I have worked together before. He knows that once I get started I won't have the self-discipline to not overdo it. That's just my personality type. If I can do A and B, then I just have to push it to see if I can do A and B plus C (and maybe even D). This is a tough injury to heal and he has already warned me, if I want to avoid another surgery I had bloody well better listen to him for a change. Once that muscle in my neck lets me ride he says I can walk/trot and ride to my hearts content. But NO SWIMMING and no weight training until probably Labor Day.

Hey, don't sweat the open water thing. It doesn't matter how deep the water is, you're only using the top 30 inches anyway. When I was lifeguarding in college we used to take a spotter in a rowboat and swim across the lake and back for training. Every year that twisted the tail of some of the park users that we were allowed to swim outside the ropes and they weren't. We dealt with that in two ways. First we'd tell them they had to be able to swim the equivalent distance doing laps out at the outer rope. Most of them quit before they finished half the laps. (It was a mile and half across and back, so 2500 yards.) Then we'd take the very few who actually swam the laps out to the middle of the lake and let them lower an anchored rope to the bottom. Only ONE person ever wanted to try it anyway after they saw that it was a little over 100 feet deep. I was the head lifeguard that year and I told him that if he was at our in-service drill that Sunday at 7 am I would allow him to swim across with the crew. He made it. And he was on my crew the following year.

I can't explain why the open water intimidates so many people. I personally believe it's more the mass of thrashing bodies that does it than it is the water. But I've seen an awful lot of people who were relatively competent swimmers freak out once they were more than 100 yards from shore. They let the "Unknown" in the depths they can't see get inside their heads I guess. Somewhere in the deep recesses of their imaginations Jaws and Nessie are waiting to snack upon them.
2013-06-05 9:11 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Best answer I ever heard when asked how deep the lake was after 1 feet over your head does it mater?

Worse thing I think you can do it worry about not being able to touch the bottom. As long as you know how to float on your back without effort you will always be fine. If you are worried about open water swimming and they race is wetsuit legal I would say make sure you get one and of course do some practice with it.

Tomorrow I go under the knife and get my gallbladder out. I hoping for a fast recovery at least be able to do some training quickly. Even a slow walk does you good if you can do it for 4 to 5 miles.
2013-06-07 11:06 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

New user
Good luck with your surgery Chi.

Good to see you back at it Leather.

My training has been grinding along, life is too busy though. Looks like I get to avoid the washing machine at Lake Placid as they are going to a self-seeded time trial start. Not really a big fan because I think it loses a lot of the excitement. If I wanted a time trial start I would have signed up for Kentucky!

Helping my gf's sister and her family move tomorrow, so my Saturday is shot, will call it a "rest day" and then do long bike sunday and long run monday hopefully (monday is the rest day in my training plan).
2013-06-07 12:36 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Calgary, AB

Originally posted by leatherneckpa I can't explain why the open water intimidates so many people. I personally believe it's more the mass of thrashing bodies that does it than it is the water. But I've seen an awful lot of people who were relatively competent swimmers freak out once they were more than 100 yards from shore. They let the "Unknown" in the depths they can't see get inside their heads I guess. Somewhere in the deep recesses of their imaginations Jaws and Nessie are waiting to snack upon them.

Perhaps.  But I'd say the biggest issue is the feeling that you're not making any progress.  People who train in a pool have a defined "goal" every 25m (or maybe 50m)  -- in open water it goes something like this...

• You're fine at first -- swimming is swimming!
  • Once you get to ~100m without touching anything, you think -- man, I've been at this forever -- I must be close to done, right?
  • So you look up and around -- but the target (buoy or far shore) still looks really far away.  
  • Then you look back at shore (where you started), and THAT looks really far away too.
  • So now, you're far from "safety", and you feel like you're not moving at all 
  • Which causes panic.

This is roughly what happened to me during my OWS last year.  Which is of course made worse by thrashing bodies, waves, unfamiliarity with the wetsuit, etc.  

My $0.02 -- it's a different mindset.  Instead of swimming 30 seconds and then hitting a wall, you're swimming for ~5 minutes or longer.  That doesn't sound like a big difference, but it is.  That's my hypothesis for why panic typically sets in around 100-150m.

Wish I could tell a happy story about how to fix it!  Other than experience.  I have OWS practice tomorrow, in advance of my Oly next weekend.

And of course... in the immortal words of Dory -- "just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, just keep swimming..."

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 45