General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Having to work to pay for triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-12 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Subject: Having to work to pay for triathlon

My first Ironman, The Vineman, is in just over two weeks. This is my first week of taper and I am getting very worried. Work has completely taken over my life this week and I have been unable to do more than a few shorter super early morning workouts. I have commitments for lunch so I can’t even use that time for workouts like I normally do. I have done pretty well with training until last week. I’ve hit all my long workouts, but this week it just isn’t happening. I will have some time for a long run this weekend, but will be out of town without my bike. Is there anything else I should be doing or should I just try not to stress? What would you do?

2012-07-12 10:56 AM
in reply to: #4307808

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
Subject: RE: Having to work to pay for triathlon
Try not to stress.  You can't really gain any fitness now, so just do what you can and trust that your training leading up to taper was sufficient (which I'm sure it was!).
2012-07-12 11:19 AM

User image

Veteran
MechEChick - 2012-07-12 11:32 AM

My first Ironman, The Vineman, is in just over two weeks. This is my first week of taper and I am getting very worried. Work has completely taken over my life this week and I have been unable to do more than a few shorter super early morning workouts. I have commitments for lunch so I can’t even use that time for workouts like I normally do. I have done pretty well with training until last week. I’ve hit all my long workouts, but this week it just isn’t happening. I will have some time for a long run this weekend, but will be out of town without my bike. Is there anything else I should be doing or should I just try not to stress? What would you do?

Sounds like an excellent taper plan.  Do your work.  Show them how wonderful you are.  You'll need some points in the bank for recovery week when you're limping around the office.

Otherwise, quit worrying.  Your training is done, "I’ve hit all my long workouts".  Tapering is about getting fully rested.  "Zero days" are fine.  You could even skip the long run this weekend and you'll be fine.  HTFU!  In this case it means mentally deal with it, not physically.  Good luck!

2012-07-13 7:32 AM

User image

New user

The work is done, don't worry. It's not really important to do a long run 2 weeks before the race. If you have access to indor trainer, it's not a bad idea to include one or two short bike sessions (for example 1h with some speed work). Good Luck!!!
2012-07-13 10:59 AM
in reply to: #4309388

User image

Master

I agree, if you can get in even smaller workouts, you can stay sharp by doing some speedplay type workouts. 

Even 30 minutes will make you feel better and help maintain fitness.

And...there are always bodybuilders in the office if you need them....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Having to work to pay for triathlon Rss Feed