General Discussion Race Reports! » Lafayette Family YMCA Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lafayette Family YMCA Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lafayette, Indiana
United States
Lafayette Family YMCA
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 32s
Overall Rank = 35/89
Age Group = Male: 25-29
Age Group Rank = 12/20
Pre-race routine:

Had to leave Chicago at 4:30am to get down there...drove down with four friends. Got there with just enough time to get marked, set up the area and change. In hindsight, I think I did OK with setting up my area.
Event warmup:

Nothing much. A little stretching. That's it.
Swim
  • 07m
  • 402 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

The gun goes off, and chaos ensues. The entry-way to the water was too narrow, so everyone got bottlenecked together when we started…and we stayed that way the entire time. The course was a short triangle around two bouys in a small lake, and for the first half of it, I was adjusting my goggles (in truth, for the first half, the right eye of my goggles was filled with water.) I finally got somewhat into a groove on the last stretch, but only because I made for the outside of the pack and found a little open water. When I got out of the water, I was right next to two of my friends (who had started next to me too.)
What would you do differently?:

I need different goggles...and I would've gotten to the outside of the pack sooner.
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

I got out of the water feeling like I’d just survived the swim from a capsized boat. My legs felt heavy as I ran over to my transition area. I got down to business, and fumbled around a fair amount, but was finally off.

I think it's just a function of doing it more often...I hadn't practiced this T, so I feel OK about it.
Bike
  • 51m
  • 16.7 miles
  • 19.65 mile/hr
Comments:

off to a rough start as my frame-pump fell of my bike right out of the gates, and I had to double back, but after that it was great. The bike course was pretty hilly, but manageable, and gorgeous. I got into a groove and averaged about 19mph. The only guys that passed me (who hadn’t passed me in the water that is) were a couple of guys on $2000+ bikes, so I felt OK about it. Me and another racer got into a serious game of leapfrog for the last 8 miles or so, though. In the home stretch, he turned to me as I was passing him one last time and asked “how’s your run?” Unfortunately, I had to tell him the truth: “horrible, you’re going to smoke me”

I think I probably could've pushed it a little more.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

Hopped off the bike and ran to my station. Shoes, helmet, sunglasses off; shoes and hat on in about 30 seconds (EZ laces are a beautiful thing). And I was off.

Nuthin
Run
  • 27m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt like my heartrate was soaring, but I was feeling OK leg-wise. Kept a steady pace, but in retrospect, I could’ve pushed it a little harder. Got passed by one of my friends in the last 1.5 miles (all of them finished before me, so at least I got a nice cheering section when I came down the home stretch.)
Post race
Warm down:

A little stretching, some food, and a whole lot of hanging out. My four friends and I hung around the race site until after they’d packed everything up…just enjoying the day, and talking about the race. The general consensus was that this was a blast…we’re currently planning our next race for sometime in the next few weeks. I’m hooked.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

a plethora of things.

Event comments:

I rate this as my best race ever because it's my first, but also, because it was just a riot.

Last updated: 2006-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:00 | 402 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/89
Performance: Below average
Suit: tri-shorts
Course: Course was rediculous. It was short (shorter than 400 meters I think) triangle around two bouys in a small lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:51:00 | 16.7 miles | 19.65 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly, country roads. Thought it was out and back until the last 5 miles or so when we veered off onto a different road.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 97
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:00 | 03.11 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: hilly out and back.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-07 12:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
Subject: Lafayette Family YMCA Sprint Triathlon

2006-06-08 6:44 AM
in reply to: #446202

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Lafayette Family YMCA Sprint Triathlon

Congratulations on your first triathlon!  What a great way to spend a day with friends!

Diane

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lafayette Family YMCA Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed