General Discussion Triathlon Talk » iron distance for first tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-15 1:05 AM

Subject: iron distance for first tri

Ive recently took up a challenge from my best mate to complete an im race next summer.Ive picked a charity (http://www.isabellarosefoundation.co.uk/) in which I want to raise money for and started working on my swimming and cycling,running unfortunatley will have to wait a few more weeks as due to a rugby injury I have recently undergone 2 knee operations to remove some cartilage and replace my ACL. This is my main problem as due to my inability to run I am going to miss the majority of this seasons races and am looking for advice from you good people, do you reccommend I try and squeeze in a few races before my im race or just set myself the target of just completing the im.

As I'm completely new to the world of triathlon is im just to far for a 1st race or am I risking burnout by trying to do any races before hand?

I'd just like to add time is completely irrelevant to me my mate who set the challenge completed his 1st im in 13:01:28 in nice this year and yes it would be nice to beat that but I'd rather just concentrate on finishing

any advice would be great thank you

2012-07-15 10:31 PM
in reply to: #4311957

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: iron distance for first tri

It has been done before.

I think your plan to complete some shorter distance tri's is a very good idea though.

If running is an issue for you this season but you want to get some race experience, you could possibly do an aquabike, or even just stop your race when you're done with the bike course.

2012-07-16 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
Mikebarky1039 - 2012-07-14 11:05 PM

Ive recently took up a challenge from my best mate to complete an im race next summer.Ive picked a charity (http://www.isabellarosefoundation.co.uk/) in which I want to raise money for and started working on my swimming and cycling,running unfortunatley will have to wait a few more weeks as due to a rugby injury I have recently undergone 2 knee operations to remove some cartilage and replace my ACL. This is my main problem as due to my inability to run I am going to miss the majority of this seasons races and am looking for advice from you good people, do you reccommend I try and squeeze in a few races before my im race or just set myself the target of just completing the im.

As I'm completely new to the world of triathlon is im just to far for a 1st race or am I risking burnout by trying to do any races before hand?

I'd just like to add time is completely irrelevant to me my mate who set the challenge completed his 1st im in 13:01:28 in nice this year and yes it would be nice to beat that but I'd rather just concentrate on finishing

any advice would be great thank you

I kinda did this my first season. Went from couch to IM in one season. I too have had cartilage surgery on a knee, and I've done more damage to it that I'm scared to even get looked at. Have popper an Achilles and fractured both of my heels. My first IM was in late August and started training in January that year for it. Knew I need to ramp up my training slowly and really mind my nagging knee and foot issues.

I also got scared straight known I had ZERO race experience. Did a local sprint tri that went ok, taught me I need to work on open water swims and start doing more bike to run bricks in training. Then I did a half Ironman distance late that June. About 1/2 thru the swim I was looking for a support boat to climb into. Had a really sucky swim in rough conditions. I had conversation with myself out there regarding giving up or HTFU and finishing the swim. I breaststroked about the next 1/4 of the swim and then freestyled on in. Bike was good, run sucked. Once again I learned I needed to do more tri specific training like bike/run bricks. I also had nutrition issues, so I knew I needed to work on that (do race simulation training following a hydration and nutrition plan). Move to August and IM time. Had a great swim, lead out for my wife and her friend doing the same race. Got 3 flats on the bike (there where tacks on the road), blew up my nutrition at mile 70 which came back to hunt me on the run. Went out too fast on the run and then around mile 4 spent some quality time in the nearest portapotty while my body staged revolt. Slowly got my gut working again, and shuffled the run to being done. IM Canada was my first, and I found my self in line the next morning to do it again. A year later I had a MUCH better and faster race.

My free advice:
- If you want to, you can do this. Your goal is to finish, not race.
- You be on course for a long time, be prepared for that. It's a really long day for slower racers.
- If you don't have a support system (friends and family) get one. Join a team if you need to. Having crazy people on the side of the bike and run making noise and yelling your name is a big boost.
- Manage your training volume increases based on what your body can handle. You don't want to injure your self and loose training time.
- Get a good coach if you can afford it. If not, get a good training plane and follow it adjusting only so you don't over train your knee.
- Learn to LOVE cold water/ice baths. These help so much to keep inflammation down.
- Start working on nutrition now, it's a huge part of an IM.

BTW, I needed to take about 9 months off of training due to illness. On a whim I decided to do a local 70.3 (race was yesterday). I did 5 weeks training for it and finished the race in 5:04
- Much of the race is mental
- Did I mention nutrition is important? I took in about 1000 calories (210 grams of carbs) on the bike + electrolytes and that set me up for the run. Only needed water and electrolytes on the run and cranked it out.
2012-07-16 3:12 PM

Thanks for the advice pal it's good to know there are people out there that have been through this already and succeeded in one season.I have to admit the distance seems a little daunting at the minute but I've got a year to get myself ready and I WILL DO THIS!

Thank you again for taking the time to post as I'd not considered joining a club or the nutritional side of im till you mentioned it however after coming from a rugby background i know I will never learn to love an ice bath but I do understand they're vital

Good luck in any future races

Mike

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » iron distance for first tri Rss Feed