General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Took my father on his first bike ride yesterday Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-15 4:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Took my father on his first bike ride yesterday

So I'm doing the Atlantic City sprint distance tri in Sept with my parents.  I'm doing the swim.  My father's doing the bike, and my mother's doing the swim.  My dad's been disappointed with his training because he's only been biking with a mountain bike and would like to go faster.  So, he bought a GT road bike online, built it himself, and we went for a 14 mile ride yesterday.  He normally does 11 miles on the mountain bike, so this was a new personal best for him, the first time on a road bike too.  I thought it was really cool to get my parents involved and wondered how many triathletes get into tri's simply because family members are in it too.  Now, even though our relay isn't till Sept, we're making plans for our next one we want to do in June.  Plus, my father was really excited since he went faster than any previous rides on the mountain bike.

Anyone have similar stories of getting their family involved?

2012-07-15 4:52 PM
in reply to: #4312473

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Subject: RE: Took my father on his first bike ride yesterday
I started doing tris at 67 because my son wanted to get into shape for his 40th.  Three years later and he's done 2 and I've done 9.  Now I'm trying to get all my sons (3) together to do one.  Unfortunately life keeps getting in their way, new babies and new jobs.  I'm the only one who has time to train. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Took my father on his first bike ride yesterday Rss Feed