General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plan Adjustments for Injured Shoulder Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-16 8:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Subject: Training Plan Adjustments for Injured Shoulder
I'm training for my first sprint and am about 5 weeks out. Last week I hurt my shoulder swimming, probably a pull in my right deltoid so I've been out of the pool since Wednesday. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do as a cross training workout on my scheduled swim days? Or should I just take those days off?

2012-07-16 11:35 AM
in reply to: #4313279

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Training Plan Adjustments for Injured Shoulder
Rnay225 - 2012-07-16 7:43 AM

I'm training for my first sprint and am about 5 weeks out. Last week I hurt my shoulder swimming, probably a pull in my right deltoid so I've been out of the pool since Wednesday. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do as a cross training workout on my scheduled swim days? Or should I just take those days off?

1) Diagnose the injury
2) Treat it appropriattly
3) Correct underlying issues (training or technique) to prevent future occurances

I would schedule a doctors visit with a sports med or a Dr. of PT and do whatever exercises they recommend as your cross training. Then schedule a swim lesson with a recommended coach to see if you can identify what the cause was.
2012-07-16 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4313279

User image

Veteran

+1 what Adventurebear says.

*Clear it with the doctor*, but I suspect you'll be ok to walk/run and maybe bike, as long as you don't feel pain with a given activity. -J

2012-07-16 1:44 PM
in reply to: #4313786

User image

Veteran
Louisville

AdventureBear - 2012-07-16 12:35 PM
Rnay225 - 2012-07-16 7:43 AM I'm training for my first sprint and am about 5 weeks out. Last week I hurt my shoulder swimming, probably a pull in my right deltoid so I've been out of the pool since Wednesday. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do as a cross training workout on my scheduled swim days? Or should I just take those days off?
1) Diagnose the injury 2) Treat it appropriattly 3) Correct underlying issues (training or technique) to prevent future occurances I would schedule a doctors visit with a sports med or a Dr. of PT and do whatever exercises they recommend as your cross training. Then schedule a swim lesson with a recommended coach to see if you can identify what the cause was.

The day I hurt it was the day I'd finally done my freestyle stroke correctly and I was really excited! I think changing to the correct stroke may have just been somewhat of an unnatural movement which caused some pain. I was trying to avoid the doctor but I'll take your advice. Thank you!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plan Adjustments for Injured Shoulder Rss Feed