General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tucson Marathon Input Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-25 12:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Lake Stevens, Wa
Subject: Tucson Marathon Input

Curious on any feedback that anyone might have regarding the Tucson marathon.  Lived in Tucson for 12 years or so but that was before I tried any of this s/b/r stuff...I'm hoping to run my first full marathon this year and looking for a late year event.  I'm signed up for the half distance at the Seattle marathon in November and could go full with it but kinda intrigued with making Tucson my first FM - or at least my first attempt.  Wife, who was born and raised in Az, would also be thrilled to be able to go back for a visit for the first time in 6 years, so we could make a nice vacation out of it.

So does anyone have any general input on the race or course?  Is it a big event?  Anyone have an opinion if it would make a good first marathon?  I'm only looking to finish - no BQ aspirations here - 4:15-4:30 at best.  Anything else I should know before signing up and booking the hotel?

Thanks and regards!

James

2012-07-25 11:37 AM
in reply to: #4329116

Subject: RE: Tucson Marathon Input
I did the Tucson Marathon for my first marathon last year and LOVED it! I did the half the year before. The course is beautiful with views of the Catalina mountains and the weather is terrific.  The course is downhill which was great for me. You have to take a bus to the race start which I wasn't sure about but both for the half and full this was extremely well organized.  The race is small which I loved but there is a ton of support on the course. Spectators aren't allowed before mile 15 or so (although we did see some people in the early miles) but my family was able to see me at 15, 18, 23 and the finish with no problem. I highly recommend it and will be doing it again this year.
2012-07-25 2:40 PM

User image

Pro

it's not a huge event. I think they get about 1000 in the marathon.  Personally,  I've always avoided it in favor of the Phoenix RnR Marathon in January, for fear of my knees and quads from all the downhill.    then again, having never run the Tucson- I really can't say how bad it would be.  some love it.  some find it more painful than a flatter marathon.

Certainly there's the opportunity for a really fast time.  i believe the calculations on the benefit of the downhill, minus the time for the increased altitude at the start yields something like a 6 minute time benefit if that's important to you (like, if you're trying to BQ). 

2012-07-25 10:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Stevens, Wa

Thanks for the feedback...much appreciated...I am leaning towards it right now and making it part of a winter vacation.  RnR Phoenix would be an option as well - I did the half at RnR Seattle last month and had a blast - they are great events and I liked being part of a huge event.  Tucson fits a bit better for my wife to visit her friends and family, and seems like dates would work out well for us.  I did notice the predominantly downhill profile on the web site though BQ for me is not even a consideration!  Good point on the elevation as well - all of my training up here is essentially at sea level.

Thanks again and may well be looking forward to a trip back to Az to attemp my first FM and wrap up the season!

Cheers!

James

2012-08-27 7:02 PM

User image

El Paso, TX
I know this thread is a bit old but for anyone who may read this in the future; I ran the Tucson Marathon as my first full last year.  It's a great course mainly down hill but it does have a few small rolling hills at the beginning, the mid point and another small one at the end.  The energy is great and everyone is very friendly.  One suggestion that I got and found useful is to buy some cheap winter clothes to wear at the start.  It's cold when you get to the start line, there was snow on the ground.  As you run and warm up just take the warm clothes off and toss them to the side of the road.  They are collected up and donated to charity by the event staff.  I would also recommend getting a hotel that has busses shuttle directly from the hotel to the start line.  You can't bring your vehicle to the start line.  There are a few sites you can drive to and leave your car but it's easier, in my opinion, to just catch a bus back to the hotel you're staying at.  You can then relax and not have to worry about traffic, sore legs while driving, etc.
2012-08-27 10:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Stevens, Wa
Thanks for the additional input - much appreciated.  I took the plunge a few weeks back and signed up...will be staying at the host hotel and looking forward to attempting the full distance for the first time!

2012-08-28 7:54 AM

User image

El Paso, TX
Awesome, have a great race!
2012-09-25 5:04 PM
in reply to: #4383455

User image

Pro

good luck with your training.

2012-12-05 11:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Stevens, Wa
wow...the final training run is done and i cant believe it's just 4 days to the race and my first full...not sure if there are any others on the fourm heading to Tucson but if you are best of luck...Cheers!
2012-12-06 2:28 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Best of luck!  I was planning on heading down to run the half but have decided to just stay up north.  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tucson Marathon Input Rss Feed