General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chondromalacia surgery? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-25 10:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Subject: Chondromalacia surgery?
I have several years of pain behind both kneecaps that I had diagnosed earlier this year as chondromalacia , or patella femoral syndrome. Doctor takes xrays and says moderate alignment issues and recommended isometrics. Restrictions on cycling of 10 to 20 minutes max spinning, no mashing big rings. Have any of you had success with exercises? It seems any real power I put through the knee causes the pain. Rest has helped, but I'm wondering if a more full recovery could be possible with surgery. Not that I'm excited about the idea, but this cycle of an intant of sharp pain followed by baby steps for a month, going down stairs on the butt, then 3 months later being back to 60% strength and ready for the next sharp pain to start the cycle over again is getting very old. A run of a few hundred yards will cause a dull tell tale ache.Then something always finishes it off,kneeling lifting etc. From most online info I have found runners knee is usually little more than a temporary bother. Any success stories? I'm a 6'140 beanpole so losing weight shouldn't be an issue with the knee.

2012-07-25 10:35 AM
in reply to: #4329737

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Chondromalacia surgery?

mxr746 - 2012-07-25 10:27 AM I have several years of pain behind both kneecaps that I had diagnosed earlier this year as chondromalacia , or patella femoral syndrome. Doctor takes xrays and says moderate alignment issues and recommended isometrics. Restrictions on cycling of 10 to 20 minutes max spinning, no mashing big rings. Have any of you had success with exercises? It seems any real power I put through the knee causes the pain. Rest has helped, but I'm wondering if a more full recovery could be possible with surgery. Not that I'm excited about the idea, but this cycle of an intant of sharp pain followed by baby steps for a month, going down stairs on the butt, then 3 months later being back to 60% strength and ready for the next sharp pain to start the cycle over again is getting very old. A run of a few hundred yards will cause a dull tell tale ache.Then something always finishes it off,kneeling lifting etc. From most online info I have found runners knee is usually little more than a temporary bother. Any success stories? I'm a 6'140 beanpole so losing weight shouldn't be an issue with the knee.

I would try physical therapy and/or Active Release Therapy (ART) before I'd do surgery.  Surgery is typically a last resort.  Find a good PT or ART provider and they may be able to fix you right up.

2012-07-25 1:30 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
The surgery for this is NO QUICK FIX and quite frankly we don't have a great answer surgically.  I can get most people with this problem better with good PT but it takes usually 2-3 months of being diligent with the exercise program.  A patellar constraining knee sleeve will help until your quad is strong enough to keep your patella aligned properly.  NO it won't make your knee 'weak'  I like the Tru pull Lite made by DonJoy or DJOrtho.  You can find it online.  Be warned the brace runs ridiculously small.   This is not the time to be "mashing"  and avoid squatting and kneeling activities.  No knee extenions at teh gym.  Squats are Ok but never go beyond a 90 degree bend at the knee.
2012-07-25 10:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Thank you both for the advice. I have been skimping on the pt a bit. I think it's partly because each episode the recovery seems to take about the same amount of time with or without it. I'm going to get back with the straight leg lifts as per my ortho, a little more pool time,and pick up one of those knee sleeves. Will try to keep from bending it to extremes too. Will pull surgery off the menu for now.Thanks again!
2012-08-12 9:38 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN

I found using an elliptical trainer to be excellent therapy.  Several years ago I was going to hang up my running and bought a Precor elliptical trainer.  After a couple of months, my knees were much better and I was able to start running again.

Back when I was 27 I'm 54 now) I had an injury to the cartilage under my left knee cap due to an injury where I jammed my knee.  I could not run for mare than a day or two before I could not walk.  I had surgery and it was literally 2 years before I could run well again and it never came back completely.  As you may guess, I'm suggesting your try non-invasive treatments before surgery.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chondromalacia surgery? Rss Feed