General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advise on wetsuit fit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-09 12:28 PM

New user

Subject: Advise on wetsuit fit?
Hi all,
Can anyone give advice on how tight or restrictive a wetsuit (QR) should fit when standing and dry? Should it feet very restrictive around the neck upper chest and will it expand in water?

Thanks
Mary

2006-06-09 12:33 PM
in reply to: #448938

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Advise on wetsuit fit?
Yes it will expand in water. You'll see a lot of people pulling the wetsuit away from their necks while waiting for their wave, they feel pretty tight.
2006-06-09 12:40 PM

New user

Thank you
I was afraid I would have a hard time breathing with the tightness around the neck area

Mary
2006-06-09 1:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
Swim in it at a pool... that will tell whether or not the fit is good.

I am not sure what you mean by "expand in the water". But, if your asking if the material will expand or stretch in the water... the answer is - YES BUT, NO... at least not enough to have a noticable difference for most.

The key reason a wetsuit feels better in the water is because of your body position. Wetsuits are designed to be worm in the swim position. Simply standing in a westsuit does not determine how well it fits. However, Swimming in the wetsuit will determine how well the wetsuit fits.

Most of the comfort gained while in the water comes a result of your body position (not increased plyability of the neoprene). The swim position more closely matches the cut of the wetsuit design. Therefore, it is best to swim in the wetsuit to determine exactly how the fit feels in terms of comfort.

FWIW Joe Moya
2006-06-09 1:28 PM
in reply to: #448961

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
Necks fit is probably the most common complaint...

Different wetsuit designs have different neck designs. Also, if you tilt your head slight up or only look forward... you will the tightness goes away. This is because wetsuits necks fits are designed to be worn as if your in a swim position... and that would mean, your head is slightly more tilted up than when you stand normall (i.e., out of water).

Joe
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advise on wetsuit fit? Rss Feed