General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To club or not to club............ Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-26 11:12 AM

User image

Subject: To club or not to club............

Background: Middle aged, middle/bottom of the pack, 2 try-a tri & 3 sprint (one OWS), not overly competitive, wears a big sunflower on her bike helmet, drinks wine after the race, female

Goal!!??: Olympic tri next summer

Quandry: I have been plodding along (literally & figuratively) on my own for a couple of years.  Very good at sticking to a schedule & staying motivated. I just don't know if I can get to the next level on my own.  Looking at joining a club or getting a coach.  I like the idea of group classes.  Am closely looking at what I think might be a more exclusive (read pricey high end?) club that goes all winter but I travel alot in the winter and really do I want to think about triathlon all year round?

Question: Do I commit? Is a club too serious? Should I just wait until the spring & then refocus? Use the BT training plans? Should I just go back to gentle yoga and golf?(kidding)

This is my vague, random, throwing it out there post of the week What say you all!

2012-07-26 11:22 AM
in reply to: #4331714

User image

Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: To club or not to club............

If you join a club there's a high likelihood that there are members with the same outlook on tri as you have (which I take to be a more casual approach).  You will have people to train with or go on leisurely rides with if you so prefer.  You may also find that once you join a team and have training buddies, that focusing on tri year round doesn't sound like a bad idea.

I can speak from my own experience and say that joining a good team has upped my dedication to the sport and helped me achieve things I deemed impossible a few short years ago.  There's nothing like peer pressure to get me out of bed pre-5AM to get my butt to the pool

2012-07-26 11:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
If you're going to join a club be prepared for two things: Lots of socializing, and lots of triathlon talk (read: yea you will be thinking about triathlon all year). It really depends on the goals you want to set for yourself and how motivated you are to improve. However, this is not to say you need to join a club to be motivated or improve. That needs to come from within first.

Ask youself how social you really are. Do you like the companionship of working out with others? Of being pushed to be more competative then you are right now? If you think this is something that appeals to you I would say give it shot and see how you like it.

Me I'm a total loner. I don't even like going to a gym because of all the people in there. However, I did feel like I wanted to join a club because I was beginning to feel a bit isolated and wanted to see if I would enjoy meeting like minded triathlon folks. Turns out every single work out was either at 5am or 7pm Mon-Fri. I work 3pm to midnight Mon-Fri. Needless to say I did not attend a single workout, so the whole club thing was a bit of a waste for me.

Now the only time I want to work out with someone is if I am doing an open water swim in the Gulf and don't want to be out there alone with all the hungry sea creatures. So either my b/f follows me in our boat when I swim or I bribe a friend from work who is an avid swimming to come along as bait.

Who knows you might find out that you really like socializing and thinking about triathlon all year. But you'll never know until you tri it. Of course it also depends on your bank account. Ask yourself just how much are you willing to invest in this newly discovered hobby? Are you going to stick with this for the long term? Or is this just a phase to try out for awhile until something more interesting comes along for you?
2012-07-26 2:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Trouble is do you join a tri club and do a little of everything or join the bike club or the swim club or the run club. all have advantages and disadvantages.
2012-07-26 2:51 PM

User image

San Diego, CA

The club I joined is mostly about getting people together a few nights of the week or weekend to swim/bike/run and lots of socializing.  We do have a couple of group coaching sessions every month, discounts at the sponsoring bike shop, and discounts at most local races, but the majority is socializing.  We have meetings where we eat, drink, talk tri and so forth and there is a central meeting spot before/after races where we can hang out and enjoy a few beverages.  It helps that one of the clubs main sponsors is a local brew-pub!

2012-07-26 4:12 PM
in reply to: #4332340

User image

jasonatkins - 2012-07-26 1:51 PM

but the majority is socializing.  We have meetings where we eat, drink, talk tri and so forth and there is a central meeting spot before/after races where we can hang out and enjoy a few beverages.  It helps that one of the clubs main sponsors is a local brew-pub!

Now that is my kinda club!  I am leaning towards more of just trying to meet more people in the area that swim/bike/run and socialize.  I like the idea of a couple of coaching sessions a month also.  I really think I will wait until spring and proceed from there.  Really who wants to be heading to a pool to swim at 7pm on a November winter night during a snow storm in Calgary!.......not me. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To club or not to club............ Rss Feed