General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bonehead of the Year Award Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-29 7:05 AM

User image

Subject: Bonehead of the Year Award
Competed in my first Olympic Distance on Saturday. I had originally signed up for the Sprint but changed my mind two days before the race and switched sections. I was a little worried about the swim because I had been training for the 500 meters and had never done an open water swim longer than 1100 yards. Kept telling myself, "remember, don't turn at the first yellow marker, keep going to the second." The race began, I cleared the first marker, feeling strong, came to the second, made my turn and felt myself pulling away from my fellow gar groupers. "Hey," I said to myself, "I'm going to be okay.". Kept my head down and pressed on. Sighting the next marker was difficult because we were swimming right into the sun, but I could see it across the lake. I kept going, happy to be clear of the others. Then, I noticed the lifeguard on a raft next to me. "Hey," she said, "you turned at the wrong marker.". In looked back, and like a dolt, I had turned at one of the small guide markers and not at the big yellow turn marker. In was not pulling ahead, I was way off course and swimming across the lake to the third marker instead of out to the second. I had to backtrack what seemed to be about 100 yards. By then my age group pack was gone, the next wave was passing, and my swim time was shot...not that my swim is very good on the best days. Spent the rest of the swim inventing new profanities in my head.This is my first year of tri, so I guess just a rookie mistake. Learned a hard lesson in the mental game; not throwing in the towel, but using adversity to press a little harder. Ended with roughly a 2:47:00 (don't yet have the official time). Not the way I wanted to run my first Oly, but learned a valuable lesson.

2012-07-29 8:29 AM
in reply to: #4335884

Veteran
Subject: RE: Bonehead of the Year Award

I always wish swim legs were longer. Maybe I'll try this next time I do a sprint. Wink

2012-07-29 8:45 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
OUCH, bet you won't do that again.
2012-07-29 10:50 AM

User image

Pro

Wog - 2012-07-29 8:05 AM Competed in my first Olympic Distance on Saturday. I had originally signed up for the Sprint but changed my mind two days before the race and switched sections. I was a little worried about the swim because I had been training for the 500 meters and had never done an open water swim longer than 1100 yards. Kept telling myself, "remember, don't turn at the first yellow marker, keep going to the second." The race began, I cleared the first marker, feeling strong, came to the second, made my turn and felt myself pulling away from my fellow gar groupers. "Hey," I said to myself, "I'm going to be okay.". Kept my head down and pressed on. Sighting the next marker was difficult because we were swimming right into the sun, but I could see it across the lake. I kept going, happy to be clear of the others. Then, I noticed the lifeguard on a raft next to me. "Hey," she said, "you turned at the wrong marker.". In looked back, and like a dolt, I had turned at one of the small guide markers and not at the big yellow turn marker. In was not pulling ahead, I was way off course and swimming across the lake to the third marker instead of out to the second. I had to backtrack what seemed to be about 100 yards. By then my age group pack was gone, the next wave was passing, and my swim time was shot...not that my swim is very good on the best days. Spent the rest of the swim inventing new profanities in my head.This is my first year of tri, so I guess just a rookie mistake. Learned a hard lesson in the mental game; not throwing in the towel, but using adversity to press a little harder. Ended with roughly a 2:47:00 (don't yet have the official time). Not the way I wanted to run my first Oly, but learned a valuable lesson.

Don't feel bad, I blew it at Philly Tri, so it happens. I spent the last 7 weekends at the lake working on sighting, went and took pictures of the turn-in and exit areas the day before, and still managed to be wide of the turn buoys and had to circle back. Easily lost 5 minutes, but it was a nice day for swimming

Could have been worse, 5 of the female pros went inside of the turn-in buoy and were DQd for cutting the course.

2012-07-29 11:08 AM

User image

Regular
You swam you Oly like I play golf and got the most for your money!!! Sounds like you didn't let it get the best of ya and still had a great over-all time. Just think you'll be able to shave some time off your next race, especially with some training at that distance!!! Strong showing!
2012-07-29 3:55 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana

Stuff happens.  My 1st tri OWS didn't go so well either.  Just a sprint with simple box-type course.  Followed usu advice for newbs & went wide of 1st turn.  That went so well decided I would stay tight to next buoy to save distance.  BIG mistake!  Got banged around in the 'washing machine' by other swimmers but kept going hard.  Even mentally congratulated myself for taking the tighter, 'shorter' line.  Then noticed splashing in my face from a kayaker.  Stopped to hear her yelling & realized I had gotten turned around 180 degrees.  I was swimming counterclockwise on a clockwise course.  Afterwards folks were talking about some nut swimming the course backwards.  Never admitted that nut was me Embarassed

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bonehead of the Year Award Rss Feed