General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike commuters??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-10 10:57 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Bike commuters???

Ok... I'm back after a bit of a sabbatical from training and racing due to some personal issues. Things are going really well for Krisy and I now and I even have a new job!

So... About that new job... Its 60 miles from my house! sounds bad but it isn't really. I finally get to bike commute so I will be driving about 30 miles to the ferry then riding 3 miles from the park and ride to the boat, and riding the last 13.5 miles to work so I will be getting in 27 miles a day on the bike! YAY! I am in the process of moving closer but I really want to keep bike commuting. Any advice for the new bike commuter? I Will not have a shower at work and am not sure what I am going to do to store clothes. How do you guys do it? is there a way to get a suit into a back pack without turning it to a wrinkley mess? What kind of creative solutions do you guys have or words of wisdom? It will cost me $20 a day to drive to work in ferry fees alone and only $6 to walk on with my bike so driving every other day isn't really a option.

Thanks for the help.

2006-06-10 12:38 PM
in reply to: #449777

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Bike commuters???

In my pre-tri and pre-trying to make it to the pool for the 5pm lap swim days, I used to commute A LOT more than I do today.  I would do it one of two ways.  1.) drive to work the first day of the work week with all my hanging clothes.  Then commute home and then both ways until the last day of the work week when I would drive back home.  I really don't need a car at home in the evenings and there's always my husband's car if I really needed one.  2.)Second way was there were weeks when I would have to drive at least one day so I would just take my hanging clothes that day.  In either case, I can transport the small items (underwear etc) in my bike bags.  Also I leave my shoes at work.

I had often thought about getting a garment bag for commuting, but I never did because what I do now works just fine.  Here is an example of one: http://www.twowheelgear.com/features.php

The other thing I learned about packing is that if you roll up an article of clothing rather than fold it, there are a lot fewer wrinkles.

2006-06-10 4:49 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

not sure how hot it gets up in washington but i do not have a shower in work either. i just wash my face in cold water and sit in front of the fan in work till i've cooled down a bit, then change into my work xlothes. i'm lucky though as my first five/ten minutes in work are things that can be done easily before i focus in and settle down - so keeping my kit on for an extra few minutes is fine.  

wet wipes or baby wipes are another option.

clothign wise i drive in on modays then take spare shoes and trousers with me to change into so my smarts can be left in work. the next day i just take in clean underwear and a top...repeat as necessary.

2006-06-10 11:25 PM
in reply to: #449813

User image

Master
WOW!!! That thing was cool! It may be a few weeks before I can buy one but that is the long term solution... I may have to buy one of those for my hard tail mountain bike. Thanks! Now I just have to figure out what to do between now and then.
2006-06-11 8:10 AM

User image

Master
Lexington, Kentucky

These are very good for carrying shirts w/o wrinkles:

http://www.eaglecreek.com/packit_folders.html?ref=hp&t=mn

2006-06-11 9:55 AM

User image

Master
That thing is slicker than snot. I am going to try to find one at REI today the 18 inch is only $25 and will fit in my backpack. very cool!

2006-06-11 9:34 PM

User image

Master

Ok, I did some shopping today and got one of those steam wands that is supposed to remove wrinkles while a shirt is on a hanger and a new backpack. The weather is supposed to be iffy Monday and Tuesday but I am committed unless it is REALLY bad. I'll let everyone know how it went tomorrow night.

Thanks for the suggestions. For now I am rolling my clothes and steaming them when I get to work. Hopefully I wont look like a wrinkly mess all day tomorrow! LOL.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike commuters??? Rss Feed