General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What To Upgrade First on First Road Bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-30 1:30 PM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
Subject: What To Upgrade First on First Road Bike?

I have an entry level road bike that I bought with a $500 budget in mind. It's a 2011 Giant Avail 3 that I got on sale last fall, and it's done well so far. I have a very small budget, so no new bike for me, plus I've enjoyed riding this one. My only complaint is that the shifting is somewhat clunky and not smooth. Front derailleur is bottom of the barrel Shimano 2300, rear is Shimano Sora. I have no problems with the rear derailleur.

If you were on a limited budget and wanted to put $200 - $250 in upgrades on an entry level bike, what would you get first? Or, would you not bother, and just keep saving up for a "better" bike down the road?

I ride with Shimano spd pedals ($50 heavy ones, cheapest I could find at the time) and Cannondale shoes, which I don't have a problem with, but it's not like I've tried anything else.

FWIW, I don't see myself ever buying a bike that's $1700+. I'm just doing this for fun, and when I do have some funds, wouldn't mind upgrades here and there, but wonder if this logic is flawed.

Thanks!

2012-07-30 1:34 PM
in reply to: #4337592

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
Subject: RE: What To Upgrade First on First Road Bike?
Picking up a lightly used set of 105 or Ultegra shifters will make a difference in shifting. Ditto for the rear derailleur, Those two pieces make the most performance difference, IMHO.
2012-07-30 1:35 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

depends on what your goals are i guess.  you stated you are doing it for fun, so i would spend the money towards something which helps you enjoy your time on the bike more.  most likely that would be apparel which makes you more comfortable.

2012-07-30 1:38 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

The first thing I would do would be to get a fitting and positioning done. Nothing else can improve your performance as much as optimizing fit and position.

It's a tough sell because it isn't shiny, doesn't come in a box and most people don't understand it.

2012-07-30 1:41 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I would keep the bike as is and do the following:

Get a tuneup - it is likely that your shifting complaints are due to your cables and housing. You might need them replaced or just serviced. Then...

Upgrade the engine - ride lots, mostly hard, sometimes easy.

Shane
2012-07-30 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4337634

User image

gsmacleod - 2012-07-30 8:41 AM I would keep the bike as is and do the following: Get a tuneup - it is likely that your shifting complaints are due to your cables and housing. You might need them replaced or just serviced. Then... Upgrade the engine - ride lots, mostly hard, sometimes easy. Shane

The man ^^^ is never wrong. 

Save your money for a better complete bike later down the road if you still feel you need it.  Buying components a la carte is very pricey.

2012-07-30 2:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

The Giant Avail 3 looks like a very nice bike.  Unless it doesn't fit, I see no reason why that bike won't last you 10-15+ years.  

Like Tom mentioned, the first thing to do is get fit by a certified fitter.  Second is to make sure your contact points are right for you (saddle, shoes/pedals, handlebar/tape).  Your fitter will be able to assist you with this.

If you're having trouble with the shifting, bring it to your local shop and have them take a look at it.  Most of the time these issues can be corrected quite easily.  They can even show you which gear combinations (like being in the big ring and big cog at the same time) to stay away from.

Edited by outdoorWI 2012-07-30 2:10 PM
2012-07-30 2:17 PM

User image

Pro

x3   get a tuneup.  A good wrench will have your Sora system shifting perfectly.

after that- if you want to treat yourself to a little bike accessory... how about a nice pair of Continental Grand Prix 4000S tires?  Or, maybe the Michelin ProRace 4's.  Faster tires WILL make you faster (albeit, not much). 

Or, if you want something for free:  Download the Strava App on your phone.  It'll change the way you think about every climb.

I assume you already have clipless pedals and shoes.  If not, move it up to position 2 on my list.

2012-07-31 5:56 PM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire

Thanks for the responses so far. My LBS includes a bike fitting with the purchase of a new bike, and first tune up free. I've done both.

I do have clipless shoes and pedals, spd. Do shoes make a difference? I've only ever had this one pair, that I bought for $35 on a close-out because I have small size 5.5 feet and that's a hard sell. I bought them originally for spin class but got bored of "cycling" indoors.

Thanks for the suggestion of picking up gently used 105/ultegra shifters. Is this common? Where do I look for such a thing?

I agree that piecing a bike with components is probably expensive down the road. Instead of componentry upgrade, would I be better served buying a fluid trainer and trainer tire? I live in Vermont, so...not a lot of riding in the winter.

2012-07-31 6:09 PM
in reply to: #4340007

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
GreenMtnLabbit - 2012-07-31 6:56 PM

Thanks for the responses so far. My LBS includes a bike fitting with the purchase of a new bike, and first tune up free. I've done both.

I do have clipless shoes and pedals, spd. Do shoes make a difference? I've only ever had this one pair, that I bought for $35 on a close-out because I have small size 5.5 feet and that's a hard sell. I bought them originally for spin class but got bored of "cycling" indoors.

Thanks for the suggestion of picking up gently used 105/ultegra shifters. Is this common? Where do I look for such a thing?

I agree that piecing a bike with components is probably expensive down the road. Instead of componentry upgrade, would I be better served buying a fluid trainer and trainer tire? I live in Vermont, so...not a lot of riding in the winter.

a fluid trainer is the best thing you can buy if you truly want to put in the effort and get faster and more powerful on the bike. i've had mine less than 2 months and already have seen big gains.  a lot of people have hunted craigslist for a while and picked up a $200+ fluid trainer for $60. 

not all shoes are created equal; my first cycling shoes were a cheap on sale pair like you say you got. later i got a $200 pair of tri shoes and oh man is there is difference. in fit and power transfer with the stiffer bottoms.  are there better things to spend $200 on? yes. without a doubt.  

2012-07-31 6:25 PM
in reply to: #4340007

User image

Champion
GreenMtnLabbit - 2012-07-31 7:56 PM

How many miles since the tuneup? If lots, then it is time for another one (or new cables/housing) or if it was just done, time for a new LBS.

It is fairly common and you can find lots of stuff in the classifieds here and at Slowtwitch; in fact, that's how I've build my last three bikes. However, you need to know what you are doing. In terms of performance benefit, if you get your bike properly tuned, you are looking at no real gain besides having shinier components.

Instead of componentry upgrade, would I be better served buying a fluid trainer and trainer tire? I live in Vermont, so...not a lot of riding in the winter.

Yes! That's why I suggested the tune up and then working on the engine. A fluid trainer is going to give you much larger returns (likely minutes on a sprint distance bike course) where component upgrades will save you seconds at most.

Shane

2012-07-31 6:35 PM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire

Thanks for the further replies. Working on my engine is important to me, so I think I'll keep an eye out for the parts casually, but save my pennies for a trainer come late fall so I can ride in the winter.

I don't expect any speed gains from components, I'm actually looking for smoother. I test rode a bike way out of my price range, and it had 105 components. I thought it felt like butter, compared to what I wound up with, but I had a budget, and thought I could live with it. It's still liveable, but...I wouldn't mind something smoother, I guess for the enjoyability of the ride.

Someone above also mentioned a new LBS for a tune-up. It hasn't been many miles since my last tune up, so while I enjoy the service and help they've provided so far, I think I'll give another LBS a try to see if they do better. My husband also knows how to adjust the derailleur, and I'm interested in learning to do more of my own bike maintenance. Let me know if you think this is a terrible idea and if it's best left to the pros. (Doing own basic tune up.)

Okay...now to look for a fluid trainer!

2012-07-31 6:42 PM
in reply to: #4340060

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Putting the engine aside and you have money burning a hole in your pocket...

I would probably go with clipless pedals first and foremost.

Then maybe a lighter set of training wheels (depending on what you have).  I got a pretty decent bike and the first thing that had to go, even though everything else was pretty solid (105/Ultegra) was the undustrial wheels.  something like 32 spoke monstrosities that were bomb proof, but HEAVEY.

Swapping out a triple for a compact crank (if you have one).  Basically same range of gearing with less weight and slightly better shifting because you only go between two rings up front instead of 3.

Aerobars (if you are looking to go aero)

fast forward seat post (again, if you are looking to go earo)

Of course, if a sadle is uncomfortable, get a new one of those earlier.

I would replace the drive train once it breaks or go with a 105 if you find it on sale or something.

Learn to adjust/maintain your bike to keep it running smoothly.

Edited by Kido 2012-07-31 6:46 PM
2012-07-31 10:26 PM
in reply to: #4340068

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
Kido - 2012-07-31 7:42 PM

Swapping out a triple for a compact crank (if you have one).  Basically same range of gearing with less weight and slightly better shifting because you only go between two rings up front instead of 3.

Does a rider need to "graduate" to a compact crank? Is there a certain amount of riding or strength ability required before moving to compact, or are compact cranks put on better, more expensive bikes?

To go to a compact crank, does one need to swap both front and back or just the front?

2012-08-01 6:38 AM
in reply to: #4340060

User image

Champion
GreenMtnLabbit - 2012-07-31 8:35 PM

Thanks for the further replies. Working on my engine is important to me, so I think I'll keep an eye out for the parts casually, but save my pennies for a trainer come late fall so I can ride in the winter.

This will be money well spent; you'll probably want to get at least one good fan as well.

I don't expect any speed gains from components, I'm actually looking for smoother. I test rode a bike way out of my price range, and it had 105 components. I thought it felt like butter, compared to what I wound up with, but I had a budget, and thought I could live with it. It's still liveable, but...I wouldn't mind something smoother, I guess for the enjoyability of the ride.

It is very likely that your shifting issues are due to things not being well tuned (and if you have a triple, lots of mechanics have issues tuning a triple correctly). I would get a tune up (lube, new cables/housing) and I would expect that your shifting issues will be addressed. I have four bikes I ride regularly with Tiagra, 105 and Dura Ace; the DA is shinier and maybe slightly faster but I have no issues with any of the bikes in terms of shifting. The Tiagra is a little trickier to get dialed in, but since I've tuned it up (last September), I've put well over 2000km commuting miles, including through the winter, and it still shifts crisply.

Further, when it comes to upgrading, you need to know what you are buying and it is likely you'll end up needing more than brifters. Instead, I would take whatever you were willing to spend on upgrades and put it into a new bike fund. Instead of upgrading an entry level bike piecemeal, save your pennies and get a midrange bike when you can afford it.

Someone above also mentioned a new LBS for a tune-up. It hasn't been many miles since my last tune up, so while I enjoy the service and help they've provided so far, I think I'll give another LBS a try to see if they do better. My husband also knows how to adjust the derailleur, and I'm interested in learning to do more of my own bike maintenance. Let me know if you think this is a terrible idea and if it's best left to the pros. (Doing own basic tune up.)

Definitely learn how to do your own maintenance; if you understand how your bike works, you'll be much more likely to be able to address issues rather than having to wait for the bike shop. This is very useful, especially if you have issues on the road or the day before a race.

Shane
2012-08-01 7:45 AM
in reply to: #4340331

User image

Elite
Cleveland
GreenMtnLabbit - 2012-07-31 11:26 PM

Kido - 2012-07-31 7:42 PM

Does a rider need to "graduate" to a compact crank? Is there a certain amount of riding or strength ability required before moving to compact, or are compact cranks put on better, more expensive bikes?

To go to a compact crank, does one need to swap both front and back or just the front?

If anything, this is the only component even slightly worth swapping out, but again, you already have the complete gear range with what you have, so it probably isn't worth it at all.

Going to a compact pretty much just means that your big ring up front will be 50-tooth instead of 53. It makes life easier on hills. With your triple, you already have a ton of gearing combinations, and while you may not be able to match *exactly* what a compact offers, it doesn't matter because between your three rings you have enough options available to you that you'll be able to handle whatever a course throws at you.... so, the gain is negligible.

To answer your question, however, no you do not need to graduate to it and you can replace just the crankset itself and re-use your pedals. The cranks and the cassette wear together, though, so you may end up replacing the chain as well. At a minimum, the front derailleur will need adjusted, it may need to be replaced (I'm not sure of that one going from a triple to double). I don't think you will have to do anything to the rear. So, you are already looking at potentially replacing three components just to change out one and for minimal benefit (if any).

For the rest of your components, yes, you can upgrade piecemeal, but I would think that it would be a waste because by the time you finish, you may as well have just bought a brand new bike. You are WAY better off investing in a trainer or rollers and building the engine.

2012-08-01 2:30 PM

Extreme Veteran

My wife has the same bike but a year older and at one point we were looking at upgrading the components on it at some point.  It turned out to be a little more involved than I thought.

We had thought about doing a few things to upgrade it.

1) upgrade shifters and front derailleur

2) while changing the front derailleur, considered a compact double (she has a standard triple now) which would mean we would have to make sure that the derailleur would work with whatever setup we had.

3) also considered upgrading the 9-speed to a 10 speed.

4) change her wheels.  Those suckers are heavy!

The problem is that once we tallied up the cost of getting everything we wanted, it was practically the cost of replacing the bike.  So we're probably just going to replacing items as they wear down now.

I'm thinking her bike my "inherit" parts from my bike at some point ;-)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What To Upgrade First on First Road Bike? Rss Feed