General Discussion Triathlon Talk » heavy legs/dead legs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-31 12:22 PM

Regular
Calhoun, GA
Subject: heavy legs/dead legs

Just getting back to training after about 18 months trying to get Graves disease under control.  I have been running between 3-4 miles 3 days and riding about 15 miles 3 days.  The last couple of runs have caused my legs to feel really heavy to the point I have to come home and elevate them. I dont remember having this feeling when I started training some 12 years ago.  It only happens after running and usually when I run in the afternoon in the heat.   Any ideas?  Could it be over training?

2012-07-31 3:57 PM
in reply to: #4339290

User image

Veteran
Clearwater, FL
Subject: RE: heavy legs/dead legs

My mother also has Grave's and went through an adjustment period when she started exercising. Could be something about how your thyroid is responding/not responding to the exercise or perhaps your medication (if any) affects things.

I'd go see a sports doc and have them consult with the doc who's managing your condition. The regular doc will likely see exercise as something that can be sacrificed, whereas a sports doc will help you maintain your lifestyle.

2012-07-31 4:22 PM
in reply to: #4339290

Master
Subject: RE: heavy legs/dead legs

Sounds like training adaptation, honestly. That's a sign that you're training hard enough to improve. If you never get those heavy legs during training, you're not training hard enough to truly improve. It's one of the ironic things about training - the WORSE you feel , generally the better you're getting. The least results come from when you feel like a million bucks on all your workouts. A sure sign you're not going hard enough. 

True overtraining takes weeks of high mileage and is unlikely for someone who's not running every day.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » heavy legs/dead legs Rss Feed