BT Development 2012 Summer Olympics » NBC offering an NBC free Olympics! Rss Feed  
Moderators: jneugeba, IndoIronYanti, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-05 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Subject: NBC offering an NBC free Olympics!

This is a great post from one of my favorite blogs. Link is below if you want to see the original post.

http://iwannagetphysical.blogspot.com/2012/08/friday-funny-368-nbc-is-now-offering.html

Dear NBC Viewers:

Last night, millions of you were thrilled to see the U.S.A.’s Missy Franklin win the gold medal in the hundred-metre backstroke race. That is, you would have been thrilled, except that just before the race we showed promos of Missy Franklin appearing on the Today show with the gold medal she won for the hundred-metre backstroke race.

If you’ve been watching NBC in prime time the past few nights, you’ve probably noticed how, night in, night out, we’ve been wrecking the Olympics for you. All we can say is, our bad. At NBC we’re just not used to broadcasting things that people want to watch.

But all that’s about to change.

Tonight, for those of you who like watching the Olympics without having every moment drained of its entertainment value, we are launching a new premium service called NBCFree: the Olympics without any contributions from NBC whatsoever.

For only $29.95 you can watch the Olympics with no spoilers, no maudlin “personal narratives,” and no promos for NBC’s new fall shows like that egregious one with the doctor and the monkey we show like every five minutes. And for $39.95, no Ryan Seacrest.

So contact your cable or satellite provider and order NBCFree today. And if you don’t? Well, all we can say is, we already know what other medals Missy has won, and we’re not afraid to tell you.

Sincerely,

NBC

If only this were true. Did anyone else catch Bob Costas last night, "Coming up this evening, Missy Franklin swims the relay for her next gold medal."

2012-08-05 5:24 PM
in reply to: #4347542

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: NBC offering an NBC free Olympics!

I honestly believe that NBC has done the best that they can.  I highly doubt any other major network could of done better.  There will ALWAYS be issues when there is a big time difference.

2012-08-05 6:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Louisville
It's just a joke...
2012-08-05 6:27 PM
in reply to: #4348048

User image

Expert

Rnay225 - 2012-08-05 6:26 PM It's just a joke...

I'm well aware.

& I was just giving my insight to an issue I have heard a lot of people complain about...

2012-08-05 8:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Louisville
I apologize. I thought it was funny because it's been such an issue. I'm with you in that you could replace NBC with any network and it would probably be the same.
2012-08-08 10:30 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Is anyone else really freaking tired of the NBC BS promo-ing of its select stars.  WTF is up with the genuflecting to Misty May and Kerry Walsh vs the other US team that is in the finals of Ross and Kessy.  Its absolutely ridiculous how everything is in the context of May/Walsh.  Like Ross/Kessy is the latest sacrificial lamb to the 3 time gold medalist.

NBC did the same thing with Phelps and his gold medal run.  On the relays, all the other guys were asked what it was like to share the medal with the all time great.  Not how did it feel to win the medal themselves.  HOw their own hard work and dedication paid off.

I am increasingly frustrated with NBC's decision to promote certain stars at the expense of real sports reporting.  Disgusting.

2012-08-08 4:10 PM
in reply to: #4352878

User image

Elite
Ridgelake - 2012-08-08 9:30 AM

NBC did the same thing with Phelps and his gold medal run.  On the relays, all the other guys were asked what it was like to share the medal with the all time great.  Not how did it feel to win the medal themselves.  HOw their own hard work and dedication paid off.

Ya... and then they do like a 20 minute interview with Phelps/Costas about Him being the Greatest Olympian Ever.. not the more correct Most Decorated...

It isn't that I don't like him, or that he is probably the most dominate swimmer ever... it is just weird for a person to talk about how great they are at the time... not later with some relection, not from other people saluting him, not at a retirment party... I just found it really odd. And yes I noticed the relay team interview too... what ever I guess that is what you get being the best.

And Pistoria... I mean great story.. actually seems like a really great guy.... but if I had to hear one more time how his special Cheetah blades don't give him an advantage... I mean they ran that package like 5 times and phisically could not say Pistorias without cheetah blades. Or that is how it seemed to me.

My favorite one though... as far as them falling all over themselves hyping media darlings... Costas after the US womens team won the overall gymnastics gold. Costas said that we are so beyond mentioning that Gabby is an African American..... but then went on to detail that in fact she is an Africa American and that she is a great example for other AA girls that want to be just like her... Really? Not that isn't true, but either just say it, or don't... and just say she is a great example for girls that want to be like her and leave it at that.... but doing both... fail.

I don't mean to be a downer... great human stories are just great because they are. We get it. We can see it in the person, and the magnitude. But to have it crammed down your throat in a pretty package I think takes away from the greatness of the moment, or the achievment. That's my .02

Edited by powerman 2012-08-08 4:11 PM
2012-08-08 5:40 PM
in reply to: #4353666

User image

Veteran
Louisville

powerman - 2012-08-08 5:10 PM
Ridgelake - 2012-08-08 9:30 AM

Ya... and then they do like a 20 minute interview with Phelps/Costas about Him being the Greatest Olympian Ever.. not the more correct Most Decorated...

It isn't that I don't like him, or that he is probably the most dominate swimmer ever... it is just weird for a person to talk about how great they are at the time... not later with some relection, not from other people saluting him, not at a retirment party... I just found it really odd. And yes I noticed the relay team interview too... what ever I guess that is what you get being the best.

And Pistoria... I mean great story.. actually seems like a really great guy.... but if I had to hear one more time how his special Cheetah blades don't give him an advantage... I mean they ran that package like 5 times and phisically could not say Pistorias without cheetah blades. Or that is how it seemed to me.

My favorite one though... as far as them falling all over themselves hyping media darlings... Costas after the US womens team won the overall gymnastics gold. Costas said that we are so beyond mentioning that Gabby is an African American..... but then went on to detail that in fact she is an Africa American and that she is a great example for other AA girls that want to be just like her... Really? Not that isn't true, but either just say it, or don't... and just say she is a great example for girls that want to be like her and leave it at that.... but doing both... fail.

I don't mean to be a downer... great human stories are just great because they are. We get it. We can see it in the person, and the magnitude. But to have it crammed down your throat in a pretty package I think takes away from the greatness of the moment, or the achievment. That's my .02

hehe x2. I found your post quite funny.

2012-08-08 7:36 PM
in reply to: #4352878

User image

Ridgelake - 2012-08-08 10:30 AM

Is anyone else really freaking tired of the NBC BS promo-ing of its select stars.  WTF is up with the genuflecting to Misty May and Kerry Walsh vs the other US team that is in the finals of Ross and Kessy.  Its absolutely ridiculous how everything is in the context of May/Walsh.  Like Ross/Kessy is the latest sacrificial lamb to the 3 time gold medalist.

I am increasingly frustrated with NBC's decision to promote certain stars at the expense of real sports reporting.  Disgusting.

You and the rest of the world are sharing the same feelings. The coverage outright stinks. There is no love for the people of the world who are representing their countries. We hear about the Chinese winning their few paddle games and playing volleyball against AMERICANS but what about the rest of Asia? I want to hear more about the people similar to the female boxer from India or the 800 meter track star from Saudia Arabia. There are plenty of Africans who struggle daily to get by who are at the games. Where are they and their stories? It is good that the American pool people can snatch a boatload of medals for their country but they are tiring. Olympics should be about and for all, not just 20 athletes who are in the spotlight.
2012-08-09 7:42 AM
in reply to: #4353825

User image

Elite
Rnay225 - 2012-08-08 4:40 PM

hehe x2. I found your post quite funny.

Thanks, and your story was funny too. I would definitely pitch in the extra $10 for the "upgrade".

New Thread
BT Development 2012 Summer Olympics » NBC offering an NBC free Olympics! Rss Feed