General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Forget getting chicked, last night I got fawned... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-08-06 8:10 AM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Subject: Forget getting chicked, last night I got fawned...

So, I live in suburban MD, roughly between DC and Baltimore.  Last night on my run I truly had a new running experience...

I'm at about mile 3 of my 10 mile run, and I hear this "eehehehehehe" noise, sort of like a quacking or a goat.  It kind of startled me, and I thought "what the heck was that?!?"  I looked over my shoulder for a car or bike, but didn't see anything.  I run a few more yards and hear it again, except it's closer.  "Oh, crap, what is that?!?"  I look over my shoulder again and don't see anything, but then I look down a little.  All of a sudden I see I'm being chased by this mid size dog.  No, wait, that's a deer.  A little fawn was running with me, about 3 to 5 feet behind me.  It was shorter than my Labrador, and probably weighed no more than 30 lbs.  I didn't want the little guy to get lost or hit by a car, so I tried to outrun it.  That didn't work at all.  He chased me for about half a mile or so, staying right on my heels.  Eventually, a car came (I was running against traffic and the car came the same direction I was running on the opposite side of the road).  The lady trailed us for a little while, but the deer wouldn't stop following me, so I finally stopped.  The lady pulled over, rolled down her window, and thanked me for "the funniest thing I've ever seen."  Since I was stopped, I tried all of the "get" "shooh" getouttahere" commands I knew, but Bambi just stared at me all doe eyed.  Eventually, I escalated, so gently kicked it in the butt.  Bambi seemed to be amused by that, and didn't move.  After about a min or so, it wandered over to the grass for a bite, the lady drove off, and I started running again hoping it was too distracted to follow.  Nope.  This time it's running through people's yards, following me.  After another quarter mile or so of this, it finally stopped and just looked at me like I was the worst mother ever.  I'm not sure if I have more endurance than a fawn, or it just got bored.

I occasionally read the book "Are you my mother?" to my daughter, and the whole time I was thinking "I am not your mother, I am a runner." 

2012-08-06 8:12 AM
in reply to: #4348544

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Forget getting chicked, last night I got fawned...
That is freaking hilarious!!!
2012-08-06 9:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana

You didn't get fawned, you got adopted!! Fawn saw you run and mistook that graceful gait as his mom's, lol!

Puss in Boots

I can just imagine the fawn gazing at you lovingly.

Edited by DigitalRain 2012-08-06 9:18 AM
2012-08-06 9:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD

HAHAHAHAHA - That's awesome!

I did a tri on Assateague Island and was followed by one of the wild horses during the run. It just trotted along beside me. One of the things I love about running is that you can get so close to wildlife!

John

2012-08-06 10:01 AM

User image

Pro

Are you sure you didn't dream this?

2012-08-06 10:09 AM

User image

Omaha
jcnipper - 2012-08-06 8:10 AM

So, I live in suburban MD, roughly between DC and Baltimore.  Last night on my run I truly had a new running experience...

I'm at about mile 3 of my 10 mile run, and I hear this "eehehehehehe" noise, sort of like a quacking or a goat.  It kind of startled me, and I thought "what the heck was that?!?"  I looked over my shoulder for a car or bike, but didn't see anything.  I run a few more yards and hear it again, except it's closer.  "Oh, crap, what is that?!?"  I look over my shoulder again and don't see anything, but then I look down a little.  All of a sudden I see I'm being chased by this mid size dog.  No, wait, that's a deer.  A little fawn was running with me, about 3 to 5 feet behind me.  It was shorter than my Labrador, and probably weighed no more than 30 lbs.  I didn't want the little guy to get lost or hit by a car, so I tried to outrun it.  That didn't work at all.  He chased me for about half a mile or so, staying right on my heels.  Eventually, a car came (I was running against traffic and the car came the same direction I was running on the opposite side of the road).  The lady trailed us for a little while, but the deer wouldn't stop following me, so I finally stopped.  The lady pulled over, rolled down her window, and thanked me for "the funniest thing I've ever seen."  Since I was stopped, I tried all of the "get" "shooh" getouttahere" commands I knew, but Bambi just stared at me all doe eyed.  Eventually, I escalated, so gently kicked it in the butt.  Bambi seemed to be amused by that, and didn't move.  After about a min or so, it wandered over to the grass for a bite, the lady drove off, and I started running again hoping it was too distracted to follow.  Nope.  This time it's running through people's yards, following me.  After another quarter mile or so of this, it finally stopped and just looked at me like I was the worst mother ever.  I'm not sure if I have more endurance than a fawn, or it just got bored.

I occasionally read the book "Are you my mother?" to my daughter, and the whole time I was thinking "I am not your mother, I am a runner." 

Omg I seriously had tears roll'n down my face while reading this LOL great story!!!

2012-08-06 6:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I object to the term "chicked".
2012-08-06 6:56 PM
in reply to: #4350085

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ

chayes - 2012-08-06 4:43 PM I object to the term "chicked".

I object to term, "fawned" .

2012-08-06 7:37 PM

User image

Bronze member
GREAT story, thanks for sharing!!
2012-08-06 8:51 PM

New user

I can beat that. I was running up in Northern Cal near Beale AFB. I decided to do some off road running and wandered into a large field. I could not understand why there were so many holes in the ground. All of a sudden the ground started to shake and I was in the middle of a cow herd that decided to run with me. I was very scared and headed for the fence which had an electric current running through it. I jumped over the fence and landed on my back. Needless to say since that time all of my off-road running has been on trails.
2012-08-06 9:01 PM

User image

Regular
Indianapolis
Agreed, that is one of the funniest stories I've heard, especially about the lady in the car following you.

2012-08-06 9:19 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
LOL now that is funny, I have physically run into a deer on the trail, but I have never been adopted by one.
2012-08-06 9:29 PM
in reply to: #4350098

User image

Extreme Veteran
JasenGuy - 2012-08-06 7:56 PM

I object to term, "object".

2012-08-06 11:15 PM
in reply to: #4350298

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
mattramirez - 2012-08-06 9:29 PM
JasenGuy - 2012-08-06 7:56 PM

I object to term, "object".

All that's left to object to is the misogynist implications of the term "term"...

2012-08-07 12:13 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
That is a hilarious story!  I can't imagine what the woman in the car was thinking as she came up to you being followed by a deer. 
2012-08-07 9:36 AM

User image

Not to put a damper on this story but in all likely hood its mother probably is dead and really was looking for you to adopt it.  Not that I'm saying you should...but could you possibly call an animal preserve (I'm pretty sure MD has them..at least they did when I lived there) and give them the area the fawn was at so maybe they could rescue it?  Or at least describe the size of the fawn and maybe its old enough to survive on its own.  I'm just a softie when it comes to baby animals{#emotions_dlg.smile}

2012-08-07 9:59 AM

I'm a softie too.....can't help it.  That would have ended my run while I figured out how to help the fawn!  That's why my husband holds his breath every time I head outside. 
2012-08-07 10:05 AM

User image

Wichita
jcnipper - 2012-08-06 8:10 AM

Hey look at me I'm going to out run a deer!!! 

2012-08-07 11:19 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
hehehe!  That's a great story!  =D
2012-08-07 11:28 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

You're supposed to make yourself as "big" as possible, yell, and if attacked....curl up into a fetal postion.....never run!

wait.....that's for a bear....

2012-08-07 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
That is SO awesome!!  Thank you so much for sharing!

2012-08-07 6:46 PM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD

For those worried about, Bambi, I too felt pretty bad.  It was clear that the little guy (girl?  I didn't check under its legs) was seperated from it's Momma.  At first, I was a bit worried that Mom was going to come out of the wooded area on my left side and turn me into one of those "when animals attack" videos.  But it became clear that wasn't going to happen after a while.  Unfortunately, I was 3-4 miles from home, with no phone, and no way to make sure Bambi by got safe.  I certainly couldn't take it home with me, even if it had made along some of the busier roads, I live in a town home so my back yard is about 20' by 20'. 

I'm not sure what the game and wildlife here in MD would have done.  It was clearly seperated from Momma, but there are no shortage of deer around here. 

The good news, is that I ran the route today and didn't see Bambi.

2012-09-09 6:16 PM

User image

5,000 miles from home
Subject: RE: Roostered
I just had to add, that today I got roostered!

I was running towards the finish line of our local sprint tri, looking at the race clock....and right on the finish line is a rather large rooster that had wandered into the finishing chute. I think I hesitated for a few seconds, I was afraid of getting pecked or bitten, but it all worked out ok. I did let him cross a milisecond before me, after all he was looking at first in the wildlife division.

Someone finally caught him, and I sure hope the photographers caught that on film, because that is one finish line photo I might actually buy!
2012-09-10 11:49 AM
in reply to: #4352099

Veteran
Ohio
jcnipper - 2012-08-07 7:46 PM

For those worried about, Bambi, I too felt pretty bad.  It was clear that the little guy (girl?  I didn't check under its legs) was seperated from it's Momma.  At first, I was a bit worried that Mom was going to come out of the wooded area on my left side and turn me into one of those "when animals attack" videos.  But it became clear that wasn't going to happen after a while.  Unfortunately, I was 3-4 miles from home, with no phone, and no way to make sure Bambi by got safe.  I certainly couldn't take it home with me, even if it had made along some of the busier roads, I live in a town home so my back yard is about 20' by 20'. 

I'm not sure what the game and wildlife here in MD would have done.  It was clearly seperated from Momma, but there are no shortage of deer around here. 

2012-09-10 11:51 AM
in reply to: #4352099

Veteran
Ohio
jcnipper - 2012-08-07 7:46 PM

Not uncommon for a fawn to be separated from the doe for exended periods during the day.  More than likely, its mother was still around; especially since you did not see it the next day.  Best thing to do in cases like that, unless you are SURE the mother is dead; is leave it alone.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Forget getting chicked, last night I got fawned... Rss Feed  

of 2