BT Development 2012 Summer Olympics » How many medals would we have if... Rss Feed  
Moderators: jneugeba, IndoIronYanti, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-06 9:24 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: How many medals would we have if...

We took credit for all the athletes that did their training or ran track for a college/university in the US?

Seems like every other second they are talking about how some athlete for country X (where X is NOT the US) ran/trained in the US.

Seems most common in track, but there were examples in swimming too...

When does this cease to be the Olympics and nations competing against each other...when they are mostly trained in the US?

Discuss.

2012-08-06 9:56 PM
in reply to: #4350290

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: How many medals would we have if...
Likewise, how many would we have if all the people who came to this country for the opportunities and became citizens stayed with their home countries?
2012-08-06 10:37 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
jldicarlo - 2012-08-06 9:24 PM

We took credit for all the athletes that did their training or ran track for a college/university in the US?

Seems like every other second they are talking about how some athlete for country X (where X is NOT the US) ran/trained in the US.

Seems most common in track, but there were examples in swimming too...

When does this cease to be the Olympics and nations competing against each other...when they are mostly trained in the US?

Discuss.

"Mostly" seems like a stretch. I think they make a point of bringing it to our attention because it's interesting to hear that the runner from Trinidad runs for the University of Alabama or whatever, but I don't think it's the majority of athletes.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2012-08-06 10:37 PM
2012-08-07 7:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Louisville
I think it gets much more complicated than that. If someone in France is being trained in France by an American coach who gets the medal? What if that person was born in Italy? I think there are a lot of reasons people move to different countries so who they compete for shouldn't really be an issue. I understand the point made by OP but I just don't think it's that big of a deal.
2012-08-07 9:36 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

The one that caught my attention was Felix Sanchez who won the 400 hurdles.  Born in NYC, raised in So Cal, then runs for the Dominican Republic in the Olympics???

Then there was Kirani James from Grenada who went to school at Alabama and still lives there.  Hard to blame him since he grew up in a neighborhood in Grenada named "Gun Battle".

Mark

2012-08-07 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4350824

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
RedCorvette - 2012-08-07 10:36 AM

The one that caught my attention was Felix Sanchez who won the 400 hurdles.  Born in NYC, raised in So Cal, then runs for the Dominican Republic in the Olympics???

Then there was Kirani James from Grenada who went to school at Alabama and still lives there.  Hard to blame him since he grew up in a neighborhood in Grenada named "Gun Battle".

Mark

I snarked at Felix Sanchez too.  But I guess it's easier to qualify. You are THE GUY for your country as opposed to 1 of 300 or so.  And you make your grandma proud.  I'm all for athletes picking what country they represent. 

If you used the "you're from the country you trained-in", then Crissy Wellington would've been racing her first IM for Thailand, Lance would've run 6 TdFs for France, Bruce Jenner would've won the Decathlon for Switzerland.

2012-08-07 11:34 AM
in reply to: #4350902

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
GomesBolt - 2012-08-07 10:00 AM

Mark

I snarked at Felix Sanchez too.  But I guess it's easier to qualify. You are THE GUY for your country as opposed to 1 of 300 or so.  And you make your grandma proud.  I'm all for athletes picking what country they represent. 

If you used the "you're from the country you trained-in", then Crissy Wellington would've been racing her first IM for Thailand, Lance would've run 6 TdFs for France, Bruce Jenner would've won the Decathlon for Switzerland.

Not quite the same...Lance was trained by a US coach...he just trained ON the course for the TdF....my point was the guys like Felix Sanchez...and other ones that come out here for college...trained by US coaches...then go home and run for their country.

To me, that's a US medal.

2012-08-07 2:41 PM
in reply to: #4351194

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
jldicarlo - 2012-08-07 12:34 PM

Mark

Not quite the same...Lance was trained by a US coach...he just trained ON the course for the TdF....my point was the guys like Felix Sanchez...and other ones that come out here for college...trained by US coaches...then go home and run for their country.

I think Johannes Bruyneel is Belgian (Lance's coach) but not trying to argue.  My comment was just trying to find the other side of the coin, but it's odd.  People born here, or move here when they're young and they spend every day out of 4 years here and then run in a jersey with Great Britain (Yep, looking at you Mo Farrah) on the front.

2012-08-07 2:50 PM
in reply to: #4351630

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
GomesBolt - 2012-08-07 2:41 PM
jldicarlo - 2012-08-07 12:34 PM

Mark

I think Johannes Bruyneel is Belgian (Lance's coach) but not trying to argue.  My comment was just trying to find the other side of the coin, but it's odd.  People born here, or move here when they're young and they spend every day out of 4 years here and then run in a jersey with Great Britain (Yep, looking at you Mo Farrah) on the front.

That sort of example is basically what I am alluding to...it seems VERY common in track...and there were a few examples in swimming too.

2012-08-07 4:41 PM

User image

He is of Somalian Descent and moved to London when he was eight.  He was educated in England lived here until March 2011 when he relocated to Portland at Nike's behest who wanted him to be a flagship face of the brand and to train under his Cuban coach.  So no, you can't have that one.

Athletes train all over the world and it costs them a lot of money.  They are dedicated enough to pay for the best facilities and those facilities are profit driven enough to take the money from whoever pays for them.

So I think the only way you can resolve the issue is to build facilities that are for the exclusive use of US citizens.

I'd be interested to see how the medal table would look if the world's two most populous countries, and effectively continents in their size, operated in a way more typical with the rest of the world.  China operating as its 12 regions and America as its 50 states.   At the moment its skewed oddly because of the continental configuration.

Gold per capita has GB in a league of its own.

2012-08-07 5:12 PM
in reply to: #4351916

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Most of the indoor volleyball players play overseas but come back to play on the natl. team.  There is not a real indoor league in the US.

2012-08-07 5:24 PM
in reply to: #4351194

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
jldicarlo - 2012-08-07 1:34 PM

Not quite the same...Lance was trained by a US coach...

Not really; he and Caramichael are really just business associates. Michele Ferrari was his coach:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michele_Ferrari

Shane
2012-08-12 11:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
It is the same with Triathlon.  How many Pros live and train in the US?  When I looked at the results of the 70.3 event a while back it listed Crowie as being from Boulder, CO, USA.  
2012-08-12 12:11 PM
in reply to: #4351916

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Dan-L - 2012-08-07 2:41 PM

He is of Somalian Descent and moved to London when he was eight.  He was educated in England lived here until March 2011 when he relocated to Portland at Nike's behest who wanted him to be a flagship face of the brand and to train under his Cuban coach.  So no, you can't have that one.

Athletes train all over the world and it costs them a lot of money.  They are dedicated enough to pay for the best facilities and those facilities are profit driven enough to take the money from whoever pays for them.

So I think the only way you can resolve the issue is to build facilities that are for the exclusive use of US citizens.

I'd be interested to see how the medal table would look if the world's two most populous countries, and effectively continents in their size, operated in a way more typical with the rest of the world.  China operating as its 12 regions and America as its 50 states.   At the moment its skewed oddly because of the continental configuration.

Gold per capita has GB in a league of its own.

You can track this - and sort the G/S/B count by population, GDP etc.

I don't think this data really says anything important though. At the writing of this article, Grenada had one gold medal, and because of the very small population of the island (110k) they blew away all countries on the count/population and count/GDP.

Edited by cnsegura 2012-08-12 12:13 PM
2012-08-12 1:13 PM

User image

Elite
What's wrong with wanting ot support your home country? I do understand what you are saying... the training might not be from the country, but the person getting up at the but crack of dawn putting in the time and effort is. As long as they meet the criteria, what is wrong with them wanting to take some pride and do something for their country of origin? Do we need to be more ahead in the medal count?
2012-08-12 3:55 PM

User image

Expert

okay, being a canadian with a cousin who was a track athlete, I have a good perspective on this.  My cousin's main goals in highschool:

1) make the junior nationals for the 110 m hurdles (he qualified in his grade 11 year, but it was on the same day as my sister's wedding and he chose family over than nationals).

2) get scouted for an american school to get a full athletic scholarship (he ended up quitting track in grade 12 to focus on his studies - I *think* this is likely because he knew he wasn't good enough to be scouted, he was second or third in his age group in Canada's most populus province, but the number 1 guy was from the same city and he couldn't beat him.

My cousin was a lucky kid who came from a good family and his parents made enough to pay for his university anyway. 

In Canada we don't have full athletic scholarships, or really any athletic scholarships at all.  Most scholarships are a combination of merit and academic acheivement.  (So a good athlete with exceptional marks might get a scholarship).  A lot of athletes in Canada (and I'm sure in places like Trinidad and Grenada as others have mentioned) go to the US to train while in university to get the oportunity to go to a good university under full scholarship that they wouldn't have if they stayed in their own country.  School is a lot cheaper in Canada than in the US, but if you have to pay for it yourself, you are looking at around $60,000 debt to pay off when you are done.

2012-08-12 7:37 PM
in reply to: #4351657

User image

Regular
jldicarlo - 2012-08-07 12:50 PM 

That sort of example is basically what I am alluding to...it seems VERY common in track...and there were a few examples in swimming too.

There are a lot of examples in swimming. One such is Michael (aka Milorad) Cavic... was born in Anaheim Ca, went to Tustin HS, but has competed in the last 2 Olympic Games for Serbia. Kirsty Coventry (Zimbabwe) trained at Auburn (may still train there). Dominic Meichtry (Sweden) trains with Cal (no longer a student there though).

In researching this response, I landed on this article about colleges recruiting and training foreign athletes.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303830204577448620436755502.html

New Thread
BT Development 2012 Summer Olympics » How many medals would we have if... Rss Feed