BT Development 2012 Summer Olympics » Cities that should host the Olympics and Should Not Rss Feed  
Moderators: jneugeba, IndoIronYanti, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-07 10:14 AM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Subject: Cities that should host the Olympics and Should Not

Should-

Prague, we already use them for every movie setting, Centrally-located in Europe tons of history and culture so it'd be a huge draw.  I guess they lost-out on the 2016 games.

Budapest, I visited twice. Really cool city, Hungary is competitive in a number of sports.

Istanbul/Constantinople. I guess they're in the running for the 2020 games.

Zagreb, once war-torn nation, now Croatia is a beautiful place to go for vacation.

Guatemala City, I lived there as a kid.  Don't know how they'd ever pay for it, maybe if it was "Central America" and it stretched into Honduras, El Salvador, Costa Rica and Nicaragua...and was held in December instead of August...

Should Not-

Mexico City, Montezuma's Revenge was rampant the last time, drug gangs will kidnap the gymnasts...

Tokyo, Time Zone Sucks, did anyone even watch the world cup when it was out there?

Anywhere in the middle east- See Andrew Starykowicz.

2012-08-07 5:23 PM
in reply to: #4350959

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Subject: RE: Cities that should host the Olympics and Should Not
Should have- New York. This year. Would have made the upper west side stadium idea real. Deserve it after 9/11. Have the infrastructure already. Citi field, Yankee Stadium, Met Life, Red Bull stadium.

I'd like to see Moscow or a former Soviet Union city get it as they were screwed in 1980. I guess Sochi winter Olympics fills that need.

Maybe Africa or SE Asiaif it could be done financially?
2012-08-07 5:37 PM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
Think it might be quite some time before America gets them again after the coca cola opppssss Atlanta olympics!
2012-08-07 5:41 PM
in reply to: #4351994

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

pitt83 - 2012-08-07 6:23 PM

Maybe Africa or SE Asiaif it could be done financially?

I would love to see them just do the marathon in Kenya. From village to village. Let the locals win one with a hometown crowd to cheer them on once. 

And going in a completely opposite direction: why not complete the commercialization and hold them in Orlando?

2012-08-07 6:30 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Another vote for NYC....

There was a great article on Grantland last week about what would have happened if NYC had gotten the games.

We're supposed to be getting a velodrome in Brooklyn walking distance from where I live. Time to start saving for a track bike....

2012-08-07 6:37 PM
in reply to: #4351994

User image

Melon Presser

pitt83 - 2012-08-08 6:23 AM Should have- New York. This year. Would have made the upper west side stadium idea real. Deserve it after 9/11. Have the infrastructure already. Citi field, Yankee Stadium, Met Life, Red Bull stadium. I'd like to see Moscow or a former Soviet Union city get it as they were screwed in 1980. I guess Sochi winter Olympics fills that need. Maybe Africa or SE Asiaif it could be done financially?

The only place in Africa that might be able to logistically deal with it is South Africa.

As for SE Asia, Kuala Lumpur would be a good pick. Singapore is a big maybe--it certainly has the money, facilities and organization but is so small I'm not sure it could handle the influx of athletes, retinues, not to mention tourists.

Taipei would be great as well, but China would never stand for it.

2012-08-07 7:13 PM
in reply to: #4352085

User image

Expert

I wish Chicago would of got them.  Then I would of been close enough to go..

2012-08-07 8:47 PM
in reply to: #4352125

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
RushTogether - 2012-08-07 7:13 PM

I wish Chicago would of got them.  Then I would of been close enough to go..

yeah.  you and me.   My cousin was excited Chicago did not get them and yet he is so excited he gets them in London.  I am not happy with him right now.

2012-08-08 5:59 AM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
It needs a country with sufficient wealth to afford the games. The bill for London is around $15B ... and this is a substantially cheaper version than Beijing, using many temporary venues, and taking advantage of many existing venues (Wimbledon, Wembley, WC rowing lake at Eton, etc. etc.). It also really helps to have a sizeable population that is sports-crazy. A key part of London's success has been that practically every venue has been jam-packed for every session, paying for tickets that are in most cases not especially cheap (not a whole lot under $100). It's less surprising that there are big crowds for events with British interest, such as yesterday's triathlon, but the crowds are also huge and enthusiastic for events with no local history or experience (handball, basketball, ...). Not easy for many cities to pull this off.
2012-08-08 6:31 AM

User image

Collin, please don't take this as an indictment. But before we judge these games a success, should we get through them?

There have been a few issues along the way that will haunt the memory of these Olympics: G4S (whose HQ is in my neighborhood) screwed up which meant the police and military had to pull watch, we had to loan London several TSA agents.

Americans in London are saying they're not ale to get tickets because EU people have some preference, then the games had to give away empty seats.

Atlanta had a horrible Olympics, but you'd never know it if you were watching the coverage in the US South so what is being called a success in London is not entirely coming across that way across the pond.

British athletes on the other hand have had a very successful games and that's good to see.
2012-08-08 7:31 AM
in reply to: #4352472

User image

Master
University Park, MD

GomesBolt - 2012-08-08 7:31 AM Collin, please don't take this as an indictment. But before we judge these games a success, should we get through them?

No question, this has been a success.

There have been a few issues along the way that will haunt the memory of these Olympics: G4S (whose HQ is in my neighborhood) screwed up which meant the police and military had to pull watch, we had to loan London several TSA agents.

Meh. Yes, there was lots of worrying about security ahead of time, and the organizers took a lot of heat over that. But then they brought in the UK military, and they have been great - like the tens of thousands of other volunteers at the games, they have created a remarkably welcoming atmosphere. One of the highlights for me so far: last night, slowly working through crowds going from the Olympic Stadium to the train station, in the rain in the dark, there was a young Londoner sitting on a lifeguard chair with a megaphone, leading the masses singing "If you're happy and you know it ...", and "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, oi, oi, oi" (the Aussies had just won their first track gold). It was a young Muslim woman in hijab + London2012 uniform. Great symbol of the melting pot of modern London.

Americans in London are saying they're not ale to get tickets because EU people have some preference, then the games had to give away empty seats.

This is not exactly right. Empty seats were indeed a big embarrassment at the start of the games, but they were the ones that the IOC sets aside for dignitaries. Meanwhile, the regular seats were consistently full, and were massively oversold, and millions of Brits came out empty handed in the search for tickets. It was certainly hard for US residents to get (affordable) tickets via CoSport, but this is a perennial problem created by the corrupt system that surrounds ticket management for the Olympics (Google CoSport to find out about the unsavory characters behind this). Any Americans who showed up in London expecting to get tickets upon arrival should have done their homework.

The "EU preference" is not an organizational bias. It's a loophole that helped UK ticket seekers. Most people can only buy tickets from their national Olympic Committee, and so this means that they tend to get screwed (US citizens included). But due to EU trade rules, Brits can't be prevented from buying anything from other EU countries. That's how many Brits were able to get tickets, since it was very hard indeed to get them through the UK. 

Atlanta had a horrible Olympics, but you'd never know it if you were watching the coverage in the US South so what is being called a success in London is not entirely coming across that way across the pond.

Can't say that I care much what NBC is making of it all, frankly.

British athletes on the other hand have had a very successful games and that's good to see.

Yes, can't complain about this. Though the home advantage is a familiar phenomenon, so people shouldn't be too surprised. 

2012-08-08 5:51 PM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
I am actually interested here, being that the U.S. has hosted the olympics 4 times, do you really all think you should get it again? Being that there is feirce competition, with deserving sites constantly trying for them, why should they be given again to any american city?
2012-08-08 6:08 PM
in reply to: #4353848

User image

Melon Presser

alburyscott - 2012-08-09 6:51 AM I am actually interested here, being that the U.S. has hosted the olympics 4 times, do you really all think you should get it again? Being that there is feirce competition, with deserving sites constantly trying for them, why should they be given again to any american city?

Well, London (just one city) has hosted them three times now

I do think it's time for the Olympics to come to Melbourne again. Let 'em live up to their self-professed moniker, the Greatest Sporting City in the World.

2012-08-08 6:13 PM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
See I totally do not think they should come to Melb again, at least for a bit. We had them in 2000, it was a great olympics, and I honestly think it should be some time before we ever got them again. Just wondering what others thought.
2012-08-08 6:19 PM
in reply to: #4353893

User image

Melon Presser

alburyscott - 2012-08-09 7:13 AM See I totally do not think they should come to Melb again, at least for a bit. We had them in 2000, it was a great olympics, and I honestly think it should be some time before we ever got them again. Just wondering what others thought.

Well, the thing about the U.S. is that there's so many potential host sites, but each really is a very different city with a different flavor. I think Melbourne is very different from Sydney and it doesn't really figure into my mind that it's the same country (like it doesn't with the U.S., either). I know that is something the IOC considers (strongly), though.

Hm. I also forgot that Melbourne may be bloody well freezing in July/August. (Me, of all people, who got yanked off IM Melbourne due to hypothermia! I think I've blocked it out ... )

BRISBANE!!!

2012-08-08 7:39 PM

User image

Although they have been here before, Los Angeles is the best location in America to host the games. All that is needed is refurbishing and rehabilitating old venues so they are up to standard.

2012-08-08 11:24 PM
in reply to: #4352085

User image

Veteran
Great White North
KL hosted 98 Commonwealth Games... great host and games.
2012-08-09 7:41 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Umm...going to go out on a limb here and say they should not give the Games to Saigon. Anyone who's followed my posts should have some idea why. Singapore would do a great job of hosting but it is on the small side, and the marathon would be a scorcher!
2012-08-09 8:40 AM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Toronto (not going to happen this soon after Vancouver)
New York (huge city, though not so many good venues)
Paris (similar advantages to London)
Amsterdam (attractive venue, sports crazy population)
St Petersburg
Berlin (a rare economy that can afford this; great city; redemption for '36)

2012-08-09 10:02 AM
in reply to: #4354586

User image

colinphillips - 2012-08-09 9:40 AM Toronto (not going to happen this soon after Vancouver)
New York (huge city, though not so many good venues)
Paris (similar advantages to London)
Amsterdam (attractive venue, sports crazy population)
St Petersburg
Berlin (a rare economy that can afford this; great city; redemption for '36)

Yanti, I agree with you that saying one city in Australia is the same as the next is just wrong.  I think the games are better when they're held in relatively smaller cities and from what I hear Australia has two cool ones that you mentioned.

Agree Collin, New York would bleed into New Jersey though and you'd have plenty of venues between the two. You'd also have all kinds of cost overruns getting the venues completed from the unions and mobs...Fuggedaboudit...

Paris is also a huge city with few venues isn't it? I don't know what their venues are like. Could they finish everything at the Champs Elysees?

Amsterdam, I'm stuck thinking of that scene in EuroTrip "These are not Hash Brownies...Put your shirt on white boy!" But that could be a far out place to have the olympics...

Berlin worries me... Germany wasn't threatening the rest of europe when they were selected in '31.  Do we really want to wake them up again? But they would be a good host.

I think any host city needs a terrific public transportation city so Europe as a whole fits that bill.

I'd add Vienna to the mix.  That is a beautiful, very clean, very efficient city.  It's like Belin without the icky parts... But I don't think they want it because Zer too schmart fur zat. 

New Thread
BT Development 2012 Summer Olympics » Cities that should host the Olympics and Should Not Rss Feed