BT Development 2012 Summer Olympics » Where are the Canadians? (Men's Tri and Women's Soccer Spoiler) 8/7 at 1:30 pm Rss Feed  
Moderators: jneugeba, IndoIronYanti, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-07 12:30 PM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Subject: Where are the Canadians? (Men's Tri and Women's Soccer Spoiler) 8/7 at 1:30 pm

Where are all the Canadian BT members?  I would think they'd be really ticked about the outcome of the Ladies Soccer game and their flag-bearer's troubles.

Are you guys alright up there eh?

2012-08-07 12:51 PM
in reply to: #4351351

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Subject: RE: Where are the Canadians? (Men's Tri and Women's Soccer Spoiler) 8/7 at 1:30 pm

Meh. Simon crashed. That's tough.  But what do you do. Sad to see him go out that way.

Soccer(at least in my opinion) was such a surprise. Good on them for staying close to the US. They were not expected to do that well. Hopefully they get the bronze at least. Give them something to show for the effort.

Womens basketball loss..... nice effort 91-48 to US.

2012-08-07 2:38 PM
in reply to: #4351394

User image

Subject: RE: Where are the Canadians? (Men's Tri and Women's Soccer Spoiler) 8/7 at 1:30 pm
TrevorC - 2012-08-07 1:51 PM

Meh. Simon crashed. That's tough.  But what do you do. Sad to see him go out that way.

Soccer(at least in my opinion) was such a surprise. Good on them for staying close to the US. They were not expected to do that well. Hopefully they get the bronze at least. Give them something to show for the effort.

Womens basketball loss..... nice effort 91-48 to US.

What a sportsman you are sir.  I commend you for your response.

I thought your women's soccer team was robbed.  I think the handball penalty was odd.  But that's just me. 

2012-08-07 3:11 PM

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"
You win some, you lose some. Simon's crash was unfortunate. I really felt bad for him being his final kick at a medal.
2012-08-07 6:36 PM
in reply to: #4351720

User image

Veteran
Calgary

It is what it is. I'm super-proud of our athletes, all of them, not just for their performances but for their ambassadorship and representation of our country. Our women's gymnastics and soccer teams have gone farther than any other Canadian team before them, and that in itself is such a huge accomplisment that a medal would just be gravy. What they've done in London will make a huge difference for the next generation of little guys & gals who have Olympic dreams.

And let's not forget Missy Franklin is half-Canadian. So ... we got that.

2012-08-07 6:56 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
The football match was what it was; terrible officiating on both sides and a really bad hand ball call to change the game. However, there was lots to complain about on both sides of the pitch.

Simon happened to make a tactical mistake and wasn't lucky enough to recover from it; 99 times out of 100 he's still on his bike, rides in the first chase group, they get back together and he finishes at least top 10. However, when you race in four Olympic Games and twice everything goes pretty much according to script, you are bound to have a race where everything goes off the rails.

Shane

2012-08-08 6:08 AM

User image

We'll give you half of Missy Franklin. But we get half of all the other players who train and live in the US... I'm looking at you Felix Sanchez and Mo Farrah, etc etc.
2012-08-09 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON

The common consensus where I am is "wow, i watched womens' soccer...and was on the edge of my seat!"  I have to admit that was awesome.  And a real kick up for the womens' sport.  I think you will see a lot more people watching the womens' world cup, and other events now that we've all seen the calibre from the Americans and the Canadians and really what it has evolved into.    Officiating was bad.  how our team acted afterwards wasn't any better.  And the ref made some questionable calls in Canada's favour too throughout the game.  Perhaps the head ref was a little out of her league...

As for Triathlon....we sent a 37 year old Man, and a Woman with a hip problem.  If our results in Triathlon are a surprise to anyone...come on....time to come back to reality.

Kudos to both. They are great triathletes, but lets put all the pats on back aside and call it for what it is.... Whitfield was 22nd out of the water and wiped out on a speed bump right out of transition.  He wasn't going anywhere fast...the surprise for me is that the brownlee bro's wern't gold and silver but instead gold and bronze...

So let me paint a big target on my head here and relay the sentiment I hear from friends, and colleagues.  Whether its fair or not, its simply the sentiment of what the public has to say.:  I'm so sick of hearing from Canadian Athletes talk about there "personal best" and "tried really hard" and "Olympic spirit and cohesion between athletes, , and glad for the experience" blah blah blah whatever the buzzwords of the day are.   If talk and excuses were an Olympic sport, Canada would actually start pulling in some Gold in the summer Olympics....It just seems when it comes down to the wire, anyone we hype up and consider a medal contender blows it.  Its what we do.  Findlay had a hip problem.  Why not step aside for someone who didn't?  Want to get really ugly about it?  Our tax dollars sent athletes that had no hope of medal contention....sorry if i'm not all happy feely about it, or try to sugar coat Canada's performances, but when all the positive reinforcement and sympathy and emotion has died down and worn off....take a look at what was produced.  I long for the days of alex bauman and victor davis....i don't recall davis ever sugar coating it while Canada rolled there eyes....

That being said, kudos to our athletes that have pulled in some hardware.  Way to go, and whether you are in the olympic spirit, and really tried hard and feel the cohesion between athletes or whatever else the buzzwords are for our losers...you guys/gals performed. You did it.  And Thank You! We are proud of you!

Target painted on forehead...fire away ....lol

2012-08-09 10:35 AM

User image

Yikes! You're hard on your guys/gals.  But I get where you're coming from.  Canada's a powerhouse in Winter Olympics right?  Maybe your best are on skis and skates instead of the track or field. 

Didn't Canada field a number of Jamaicans and other Caribbean Islanders for years who are now running for their own country. 

I'm glad to see a rivalry between Canada and the US in Women's Soccer.  That's a good rivalry to grow.

2012-08-09 3:42 PM
in reply to: #4354774

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
TheCrownsOwn - 2012-08-09 11:56 AM

Kudos to both. They are great triathletes, but lets put all the pats on back aside and call it for what it is.... Whitfield was 22nd out of the water and wiped out on a speed bump right out of transition.  He wasn't going anywhere fast...the surprise for me is that the brownlee bro's wern't gold and silver but instead gold and bronze...

Ignoring the rest of the post as it speaks for itself, but to the point of Whitfield, you are completely off base. He was where he needed to be out of the water; that group bridged up to the lead pack so Simon would have been with the leaders on the run if he hadn't make a technical mistake early on the bike leg.

He would have been in position for a top ten finish and who knows what might have happened if he was with that group at the start of the run. Of course, due to the crash, we'll never know but to count him out because he was out of the swim 22nd and is 37 shows a lack of understanding of this race.

Shane
New Thread
BT Development 2012 Summer Olympics » Where are the Canadians? (Men's Tri and Women's Soccer Spoiler) 8/7 at 1:30 pm Rss Feed