BT Development 2012 Summer Olympics » Gold medal winner admits to cheating Rss Feed  
Moderators: jneugeba, IndoIronYanti, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-07 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: Gold medal winner admits to cheating

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/cheater-swimming-gold-medalist-admits-taking-illegal-kicks-162450535--oly.html

I guess they cannot take his medal away according to the rules.  I can't believe he would even admit what he did to press after winning a gold.  Surprising.

2012-08-07 1:39 PM
in reply to: #4351390

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Gold medal winner admits to cheating
noelle1230 - 2012-08-07 12:51 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/cheater-swimming-gold-medalist-admits-taking-illegal-kicks-162450535--oly.html

I guess they cannot take his medal away according to the rules.  I can't believe he would even admit what he did to press after winning a gold.  Surprising.

Maybe his conscience got the better of him...and he figures at least if he admits it then he's done what he can do.

I saw at least one swimmer get disqualified for something he did underwater on a push off...surprised this wasn't caught.  Maybe it is time for underwater cameras....

2012-08-07 1:58 PM
in reply to: #4351515

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
jldicarlo - 2012-08-07 2:39 PM

Maybe his conscience got the better of him...and he figures at least if he admits it then he's done what he can do.

I saw at least one swimmer get disqualified for something he did underwater on a push off...surprised this wasn't caught.  Maybe it is time for underwater cameras....

This is my thought too.  What is allowable in swimming has evolved since my days of swim meets back in the 80's.  Your head couldn't go under during breastroke at all, no dolphin kicks.  If they're going to allow a finite number of dolphin kicks they need a better way to monitor them.

2012-08-07 2:57 PM
in reply to: #4351390

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida

This is an interesting quote from the article, hadn't thought about it this way, but he's right:

"That knee-jerk reaction should be resisted. Throwing in an extra butterfly kick doesn't put van der Burgh on a level with blood dopers and steroid users. It's the equivalent of taking some extra steps in basketball or flopping in soccer: athletes trying to get away with as much as possible under the rules."

Good for him blowing the whistle on himself.  If he did it after placing 2nd or lower, he'd be called sour grapes.  This way, he looks (at least to me) like a guy trying to get FINA to update themselves.

Only thing I have to add is There's Flopping in Soccer??? I'm Shocked!

2012-08-07 10:19 PM
in reply to: #4351675

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
GomesBolt - 2012-08-07 2:57 PM

This is an interesting quote from the article, hadn't thought about it this way, but he's right:

"That knee-jerk reaction should be resisted. Throwing in an extra butterfly kick doesn't put van der Burgh on a level with blood dopers and steroid users. It's the equivalent of taking some extra steps in basketball or flopping in soccer: athletes trying to get away with as much as possible under the rules."

Good for him blowing the whistle on himself.  If he did it after placing 2nd or lower, he'd be called sour grapes.  This way, he looks (at least to me) like a guy trying to get FINA to update themselves.

Only thing I have to add is There's Flopping in Soccer??? I'm Shocked!

I agree--my first thought was that it was like a wide receiver making a game winning catch and then admitting later on that he didn't have control until he went out of bounds. Bottom line is he got the call, so he gets the win.
2012-08-08 5:28 PM
in reply to: #4351515

User image

Regular
jldicarlo - 2012-08-07 11:39 AM

Underwater cameras are in use in US National level meets. They used them at the Olympic trials, but they are only used to confirm or overturn calls made by the officials on the pool deck. At trials, the review judges saw over 20 swimmers using illegal butterfly kick (not called dolphin kick anymore) that were not called by officials on the deck...you just can't see everything with the way officials are positioned. 

New Thread
BT Development 2012 Summer Olympics » Gold medal winner admits to cheating Rss Feed