General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for Asthmatics Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-07 12:57 PM

User image

Veteran
St Louis, Missouri
Subject: Question for Asthmatics

Normally I would not pose medical questions to a public forum.  But, given my Pulmonolgost’s answer was “you’ll just have to settle for being in better shape than 99% of the people your age”. I thought maybe fellow asthmatics have some thoughts.

57, with exercise induced asthma. Just had a full battery of heart function tests, pass all with no issues.  Currently taking,  Qvar - BID.  Albuterol  - 2 puffs prior to exercise.

Big hills on the bike, hard fast swimming, and on some days even a moderate run will cause me to have to stop and catch my breath. 

I’m wondering if there is some work-out of exercises to increase lung function to delay the onset of the asthma?

Thanks

2012-08-07 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4351406

User image

Expert
New York
Subject: RE: Question for Asthmatics

I've got both exercise- and weather-induced asthma (lucky me). If there were exercises, I'd love to learn them, but I've never heard of any. Except for staying active. Which you already do! (An ex-boyfriend's dad had terrible asthma later in life, and a doctor told him simply staying active and moving would help increase his lung function -- sadly he didn't do any of that and because of it wasn't doing so great).

Some days, my asthma is bad, some days it's non-existent. I've learned to predict the bad days and just make sure to take an extra hit off my inhaler before I do a workout. Are your meds not helping?

One note, if you're doing triathlons and need to take your inhaler before you race, try to leave some time, like a good 15-20 minutes, prior to the race to take them. I don't know about you, but Albuterol tends to make my heart race, which is seriously annoying before heading into a swim.

In a pinch if I can't get to my inhaler immediately, pursed-lip breathing does the trick:

http://www.sierrabiotech.com/bt_copd_plb.html

Good luck -- asthma sucks, literally, but once you figure out your triggers and the right meds, it's pretty manageable, even as an endurance athlete. 

2012-08-07 3:35 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

If you were my patient I would try you on symbicort (or advair) to see if you still get this.

I also have EIA and need higher treatment when I am training hard

2012-08-07 5:28 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I have allergy induced asthma.  Talk to your doctor.  Get on a good maintenance inhaler (that will be defined by your response to the meds, NOT by current trends in advertising or what other people are taking ....ALSO NOT determined by your health insurance tiered pharmacy benefits***).  Get a rescue inhaler.  Know your triggers and your baseline peak flow so you can trend  where you are having problems and have good communication with the doc about this.    Get an asthma action plan.  There is no reason to settle for being in better shape than 99% people of your age when you could have better pulmonary function.  

****If your insurance says a particular med is not on an approved list there are ways to get past this , in general it requires proof that you aren't well managed on the meds covered in the lower tiers with a letter from your doc.

Exercise induced asthma?  Use the rescue inhaler 20 minutes prior to training and keep it with you.  You will know if you really need it or not  but it needs to be with you cause it does no good sitting in the transition area or car while you are out on the bike.   I have been known to tell my training partners where I put it just in the instance I can't get to it cause it happened to me once that I couldn't reach into my jersey pockets to get it cause my coughing was so bad.

2012-08-07 7:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX

There are a number of asthmatics on ST also.  For me, I find that the preventative meds (Pulmicort for me.  I was on Advair but downgraded as I want to 'save' Advair for when I really need it) are the key but sometimes, it just sucks.  I am ALWAYS short of breath compared to my husband, just goes with the territory.  I have also found that albuterol takes about 30-45 min to kick in to GOOD breathing at effort.  In an attack it takes about 10 min to kick in, but for really good breathing (probably like a normal person) it takes longer for me.  I don't get racing heart from albuterol but DEFINITELY from Combivent nebs  (I have a personal nebulizer).

Try taking your albuterol a little longer before your runs or increase to 4 puffs (I think standard is 2 to 4 puffs, right?) and also make sure you're waiting a full minute between your puffs.  Lastly, consider getting a chamber (aerochamber is one) to make sure you're getting all your meds and see if any of that makes a difference.  Lastly are you tracking your peak flows?  That helps me to quantify what is going on.

Edited by kathy caribe 2012-08-07 7:02 PM
2012-08-07 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Overland Park, KS
I have exercised induced asthma and just completed my first HIM. Prior to January I could not run 10 minutes on a treadmill. I started taking Singular and that helped to eliminate the extreme tightness I would feel in my chest anytime I started to ride up a large hill. I then tried a variety of other things as a secondary medicine including Qvar, Dulera and finally Simbicort (sp?). I also have a pro-air inhaeler that I use before exercise and during if needed.

2012-08-07 8:38 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Kinda along the line with what everyone said: Make sure you are on the right meds (advair works wonders for me but does little for my BIL), good warm-up helps, use rescue inhaler ahead of time, etc.  With my peak flow numbers historically below the avg I have to be in a bit better shape then others to compete but it is what it is.
2012-08-07 9:19 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
you are currently on Qvar, which is steroid only which is why I am suggesting a trial of Symbicort of advair as they are both combination steroid and LABA
2012-08-07 11:06 PM

User image

New York City
I also agree about getting on meds. For me, my asthma is the dictator of my life and no matter well controlled it is and no matter how physically fit I am, I may have a day where I struggle through a workout because I can't breathe. That sucks, but I've accepted it as part of my experience as a triathlete. I'm finding those days less and less as I continue to train, but there are days where something is in the air and my lungs will be tight all day no matter what I do. So, learn to listen to your body and understand when you can keep going and when you need to slow down. I've learned that reducing the intensity of my workouts rather than stop them when I am feeling tight is helpful. I will run, but I may do a super slow jog. I'd rather do that than stop. I also find that it has actually helped increase my lung function. So, just some reflections on my experience.
2012-08-07 11:40 PM

User image

Elite
Utah
Diagnosed asthmatic at age 8.  I was the kid that sat out of most everything b/c of it :/
Didn't figure out that exercise would HELP until later in college.  Learning to use the proper breathing skills I had acquired through musical instrumentation and vocalization for teaching aerobics REALLY helped curb my asthma as time went on.

NOW... I use Xopenex instead of Albuterol (doesn't cause the heart rate to spike)

As others mentioned, I use my inhaler 15 to 20 minutes before workouts.
Sometimes, during races, I will also take a quick puff coming off the bike and heading out to the run (I stick the inhaler in my bento box on my bike and will use it in the last mile or two ON the bike so as to save time in T2)

Fortunately, aside from the hacking post-run cough I get in the winter time from it, my asthma has gotten MUCH better. 
Unfortunately, controlling it has not made my legs faster
2012-08-08 5:02 AM

User image

Veteran

The more I exercised and ate better (mainly less sugar and other inflammatory foods and more of the good stuff-fruits vegis) the less "asthma" I had.  I slowly tapered off all of my medications and consider myself asthma-free now for years!

2012-08-08 6:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I've had asthma my entire life (exercise induced, allergy induced, and viral induced.....just full blown asthma), and I've never known of any exercises that could improve my condition.  

Advair changed my life.  Seriously.  I don't even need my rescue inhaler much anymore at all.  I have a nebulizer I use when I am sick, as my asthma is horrendous when I have a virus or something that affects my lungs.  

I do carry my rescue inhaler on the run portion of my triathlons.  I just tuck it in one of the pockets of my tri shirt in T2.  

2012-08-08 8:16 AM

Pro
Andover
I've also had asthma my entire life. I always hit the inhaler before a race, and on really humid training days--helps a lot!
2012-08-08 9:09 AM

User image

Veteran
St Louis, Missouri

THANKS! You have all been very helpful. There are a couple of changes I can implement. i.e. the pro-air a bit longer in advance of my w.o. and increasing the number of puffs. Also you have provided some discussion point to have with my DR. 

As always BT rocks! 

Thanks again, Don

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for Asthmatics Rss Feed