BT Development 2012 Summer Olympics » Archery Rss Feed  
Moderators: jneugeba, IndoIronYanti, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-08 6:19 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Archery

With all the modern technology they allow for shooting, I'm surprise they still use your basic recurve bow for archery.  Just slap on a lot vibration damponing and sites...  But it's the same old design they have used for, well, almost forever.

I guess compound bows give too much of a mechanical advantage and take some of the sport out of it.  Like using scopes on the rifles.  They still use the old iron sites to test the shooters.

2012-08-09 10:59 AM
in reply to: #4353904

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Subject: RE: Archery
Kido - 2012-08-08 7:19 PM

With all the modern technology they allow for shooting, I'm surprise they still use your basic recurve bow for archery.  Just slap on a lot vibration damponing and sites...  But it's the same old design they have used for, well, almost forever.

I guess compound bows give too much of a mechanical advantage and take some of the sport out of it.  Like using scopes on the rifles.  They still use the old iron sites to test the shooters.

Don't know much about the Archery equipment.  But it seems the biggest advantage would be from some mechanical release instead of your fingers.  Wouldn't it?

Rifle scopes would help, but if you're talking about 300 Meters max, the target is still pretty visible.  Remember Fuzzy Target, clear front sight-post.  I'd like to see those shooters with a Barrett M2 from 2 miles away.  That'd be a cool olympic sport, Sniping...

I qualified Expert 7 times and Range High 3 of those in 8 years in the Marine Corps with iron sights on a mass-produced M16A2 where you fired from 200 M, 300 M and 500 M (albeit the targets were much bigger, but a custom rifle and all the other equipment probably helps a bit). 

Interestingly, the Marine Corps allows ACOGs on the range and the overall scores have not improved significantly.  They magnify 1.5x to 6x.  Seems like it should've had some benefit at longer range.  It's still about sight-picture, sight-alignment, skeletal support, muscle relaxation, breathing control, slow steady trigger squeeze, BANG!

2012-08-09 11:13 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
At my college, the coach of the riflery team was also the gunnery sargent in charge of the range for the ROTC. I used to hang around with him a lot and he told me once that riflery is one of the few olympic sports where women have a physical advantage. Something about having a lower center of gravity, hips upon which they can rest their supporting arm, and generally better eyesight.
2012-08-09 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4354979

User image

Sensei
Sin City
GomesBolt - 2012-08-09 8:59 AM
Kido - 2012-08-08 7:19 PM

Don't know much about the Archery equipment.  But it seems the biggest advantage would be from some mechanical release instead of your fingers.  Wouldn't it?

Rifle scopes would help, but if you're talking about 300 Meters max, the target is still pretty visible.  Remember Fuzzy Target, clear front sight-post.  I'd like to see those shooters with a Barrett M2 from 2 miles away.  That'd be a cool olympic sport, Sniping...

I qualified Expert 7 times and Range High 3 of those in 8 years in the Marine Corps with iron sights on a mass-produced M16A2 where you fired from 200 M, 300 M and 500 M (albeit the targets were much bigger, but a custom rifle and all the other equipment probably helps a bit). 

Interestingly, the Marine Corps allows ACOGs on the range and the overall scores have not improved significantly.  They magnify 1.5x to 6x.  Seems like it should've had some benefit at longer range.  It's still about sight-picture, sight-alignment, skeletal support, muscle relaxation, breathing control, slow steady trigger squeeze, BANG!

I was thinking the same thing about the "sniping" competition.  I would watch that.  1000 meters?  Further?  Something like you said.  A combined from 200, 500, 1000, 1500?

2012-08-09 1:14 PM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida

1000 M would be a good competition with the M40.  For the M2 Barrett class, it doesn't start getting interesting until it gets to the 2000 meter range.  At that distance in the real world, you have to count on the guy not reaching-down to tie his shoes. The below article is the longest (known) kill.

http://www.gizmag.com/worlds-longest-sniper-kill-247km/14992/

Carlos Hathcock has the best story though.  He used a M2 Browning Machine Gun to kill a guy at 2,500 yards.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock

The olympic competition would be a great idea, but I think many countries would not like to put their best shooters on display.  Those guys usually don't like to be known.  The best shooters I've ever known all went by the same first name...and no last name...

As for Archery though, it would be interesting if they added a Modern Technology contest. 

Bikes are as-advanced as they're allowed to be in cycling and triathlon right?  Shooting with the recurve bow is like riding a Steel Schwinn in the time trial...

Edited by GomesBolt 2012-08-09 1:15 PM
New Thread
BT Development 2012 Summer Olympics » Archery Rss Feed