General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone dealt with a stomach muscle pull/strain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-10 5:07 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Subject: Anyone dealt with a stomach muscle pull/strain

And yes, I've been to the doc to rule out a hernia. (turn. cough cough).

For the last 4-6 weeks I've had a general ache to dull pain in the lower stomach (between belly button down to the groin).  The pain will sometimes radiate down into one or both testicles which is not comfortable.

The only thing I can think is that I strained this (these?) muscles doing some core a few months back and now I'm aggravating them on the bike and running (my swim has been non-existent lately).  After a run it's especially tender.

I think I know the answer is to take a few weeks off (I've already taken 3 days off) but it's REALLY hard to not do anything.

So anyone had a similar issue?  How long did it take to heal?  Did you have to stop all activity?

2012-08-10 5:35 PM
in reply to: #4357840

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Subject: RE: Anyone dealt with a stomach muscle pull/strain
I pulled a lower muscle in my abs doing lat pulll downs about 4 months ago. It was about the same place as you describe only just on the right side. It would seem to get better but would then flair up after a run. I had a CT scan and ruled out a hernia. It hung around for about 3months off and on. I've recently started putting strength training sessions back into my workouts, doing a lot of core stability training and core and hip stretching. I haven't had a flare up in about a month. Not sure if it just healed itself or if he training and stretching helped. Maybe a bit of both.Not sure if any of this helps but it's worth a shot if your not doing any f this already.Edited for stupid auto correct mistakes.

Edited by BigDaddyD79 2012-08-10 5:36 PM
2012-08-10 7:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois

I have.  Came down with it last October.  Tried to run/bike through it until November...then gave up.  Went to the doctor in January.  Could not find a bulge...but most of the times a sports hernia does not produce a bulge (at least at first).  Had a CT scan...nothing.  Surgeon wanted to cut.  Sought out a second opinion...second doc was VERY hesitant to cut.  Suggested resting for up to a year.  I decided to give it more time.  After FIVE months...things were getting better and I started back at training.  All is well today, although the groin area still is not 100%.  I'm putting in better training than ever and stretching A LOT.  Moral of the story for me...patience saved me from going under the knife (which would not have fixed anything in hind sight).  Groin/stomach pulls can be serious and you need to give it time.  It was brutal for me to rest, I hadn't taken more than a few days off at a time for the past 7-8 years...so five months was crazy.  

Never knew exactly how it happened...but I'm pretty sure if was a stupid charity basketball game.

2012-08-13 8:01 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Thanks for the input... am on self-prescribed hiatus from S/B/R for the next few weeks to see if it improves.  If not back to the doc to see what the next step might be.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone dealt with a stomach muscle pull/strain Rss Feed