General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bonking on the Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-20 8:08 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX
Subject: Bonking on the Run

I have mentioned in previous threads that I am a big sweat-er.  Not sure if that is the problem or just a contributing factor, but I really bonk on the run at about 60 minutes. 

I usually eat something before I run (about an hour) then try to take on water and power gel/gu/hammergel about every 30 minutes.  I'm not sure if I need more gel than that, additional products (endurox, cytomax), or what.  Temperature has been in the 90's lately, but that's not going to get any better.

Any one use a fuel belt or similar product?  Any one have specific products or strategies that keep them from bonking in long runs (7 -15 mi)?

2004-06-20 11:09 PM
in reply to: #32620

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Subject: RE: Bonking on the Run
I use a fuel belt - even on shorter runs because I simply dry out if I don't drink. If you are sweating a lot and it's hot, I would consider the fuel belt and take half water and half accelerade. (I prefer accelerade over gatoraide). You do need to replace those electrolytes.
2004-06-21 7:51 AM

User image

Rochester, NH
I had that problem too, and it took me a while to figure out what works for me...

On the bike, I use Perpetuem and Hammer Gel (350-400 calories), along with an e-cap (or thermo tab) every 90-120 minutes. In all cases, I drink plenty of water with what I take in (the Perpetuem is mixed double strength). I will also eat part of some sort of bar (Cliff bar, etc.) with about an hour to go prior to the run. That way, I get off the bike well fueled.

On the run, I take Gatorade or water (depending on what I am in the mood for), then try to alternate what I take at aid stations between gatorade and water. I also carry hammer gel with me and use a shot of that about 1x per hour.

The key, for me was that I had to experiment during my long rides (which are all bricks) to see what worked because I found that there were a lot of things I just wouldn't eat after 20-30 miles on the bike (I do mostly long course triathlons now).

Hope this helps!

2004-06-21 3:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La
You might need something like Endurolytes with the heat. My hubby and I take 1-2 before running and 1 during our workout, as well as 1-2 after depending on the heat and how much sweating during the run. Fluids and hammer gel alone don't seem to replace what we lose through sweat during a 40-50 minute run. Temps are in the 90s here with high humidity so the heat index is about 110. Ugh. Can't wait for the fall!
2004-06-21 10:39 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX

Thanks guys.  I have been experimenting but haven't found much that DEFINITELY works.  More water, clif shots are better than power gel, honey stingers are pretty good.  I ran tonight - it was much cooler this evening than it has been, and I still felt good after 50 minutes or so.  I took a gel shot at 27 min - was starting to feel the need - and then I was good. 

I'll get this thing worked out - with a little help from my friends!  Thanks again.

TB

2004-06-21 10:39 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX

Thanks guys.  I have been experimenting but haven't found much that DEFINITELY works.  More water, clif shots are better than power gel, honey stingers are pretty good.  I ran tonight - it was much cooler this evening than it has been, and I still felt good after 50 minutes or so.  I took a gel shot at 27 min - was starting to feel the need - and then I was good. 

I'll get this thing worked out - with a little help from my friends!  Thanks again.

TB

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bonking on the Run Rss Feed