General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Going From OLY to HIM, What Did You Learn? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-08-14 7:43 PM
in reply to: #4363505

Veteran
Subject: RE: Going From OLY to HIM, What Did You Learn?

As several others have correctly stated: keep your heart rate down.  But how do you do that?  For me it is in T1 & T2.  In T1, I relax for about 15-20 seconds before I start putting on cycling clothes.  Then after changing, I calmly walk my bike to the mount line.  Yes, I loose about 45-60 seconds, but when I start the bike, my heart rate is where I want it.

Same thing in T2.  I don't rush the transition, I stretch and start out walking for about 30 seconds.  Overall, I do loose about 2 minutes but I feel that I make that up 10x over by keeping my heart rate under control.  Keep in mind that we are supposed to be enjoying this!!

Have fun and great question!!

2012-08-14 7:53 PM
in reply to: #4362187

User image

Veteran

I still find this chart helpful if you're training and racing with a powermeter.

Attachments
----------------
TSS Chart (60KB - 53 downloads)
2012-08-14 8:28 PM
in reply to: #4363040

Master
tri808 - 2012-08-14 2:21 PM
guppie58 - 2012-08-14 6:28 AM

As I said earlier, I just replaced my PD aero bottle with a zip tie cage/bottle between the arms.  I never did this before because I had a larger garmin unit (edge 705) but now I have the 910 which will be on my wrist (no quick release for fear of losing it in water).  This opens up my aero bars to a larger water bottle.  The PD was only 20oz.  I also never practiced refilling the PD on the fly.  

I'll still have one bottle off the back of the saddle with sport drink and my aero bottle on seat tube will just be water.  Like I said, I'm not going to risk with the IRONMAN perform drink.  So I'll need all my sport drink on the bike. 

I'm trying to break down my nutrition and compared it too some benchmarks from the forum and other sites.

400-800 calories 3 hours prior to race.  1gm protein for every 4gm carbs

100-200 calories as close to start as possible with 8-12 oz of water

Bike/Run: 20-30 oz water per hour, every 15 minutes, don't rely on thirst.  300 calories of carbs per hour.  Little solid food as possible. z

I'll compare these guidelines to what I used in training.  I don't think I'm too far off with calories, but I tend to over hydrate.   

After my second HIM, I learned that nutrition is not nearly as important as you first think it is.  During my first...I was like you...trying to plan everything out exactly.  Scared to death that I was going to bonk or something if I forgot to take 1 gel.  But really you just do what you do in training more or less.  Be sensible, take in a steady stream of calories, but don't over do it.  Drink when you are thirsty.  I took in half as many calories during my second HIM and was fine. 

Remember...it's always easier to recover from not taking in enough calories or hydration.  You just eat or drink more to recover.  It's much harder to recover from eating or drinking too much.  The way you recover is by sloshing, getting nausia, and possibly throwing up.

Good luck.

That's good advice that I've totally noticed in my training. I find that if I stop and start to relax too much, my body wants to go out of racing mode and into 'recovery fueling' mode by eating and drinking so much food that I feel totally bloated. I've since learned to not overdo the fluid and calories on the bike - if the stomach is feeling queasy after intaking a lot, it's def time to slow down the intake.

2012-08-14 9:57 PM
in reply to: #4363505

User image

Master
St. Louis
guppie58 - 2012-08-14 7:05 PM

browncd - 2012-08-14 5:33 PM Since you are doing a large HIM, be prepared for the chaos at the first aid station on the bike. Some more experienced folks in my TRI club warned me about it. They advised to carry enough on the bike so you could skip the aid station if need be. When I did Augusta a couple of years ago, and they were right. Bikes were swerving everywhere; people were stopping without warning; water bottles rolling all over the place. There is a high risk for an accident. I just stayed way to the left and went right past it. The other aid stations were fine. Everybody had spread out after first one.

Good point. On my training rides, I didn't really refuel until the 25/30 mile mark.  

What size water bottles do they hand out?  Will it fit in a cage or will it be kinda loose in a cage?

The water bottles at the two HIM's I did fit just fine in the water bottle cage. I bring two bottles, one good one with nutrition and one cheap one that I will throw out at the aid station. Last race I forgot a cheap one so I bought one on site for five dollars.For my first HIM, I went too hard on the bike and took in less than half the nutrition I planned on. I felt great the first 5k of the run then got progressively worse as you can imagine.X2 on the sunscreen comment too. I got burnt badly on my last HIM to the point my back blistered and my race number is reverse sunburned into my arm 3 weeks later.As someone else mentioned, worry about what you need to be doing at that moment. Don't worry about what is yet to come, it will be there in due time. On a related note, make sure to smile about what you are doing in the moment. It's a big accomplishment completing the training to toe the line. Have fun with it, thank the volunteers, high five the kids, etc.It helped me to visualize the entire race and the bottle exchange on the bike in particular. It goes something like this (more experienced racers please chime in)1. Ditch the old bottle coming into the aid station2. Slow down and pay attention to other bikers, also hold your line3. Call out "water" and when people raise their hands or bottles or say "here", pick your volunteer4. Point at them and say "you" or something like that, make and hold eye contact5. Grab the bottle firmly, if the volunteer is good, they will hold it firmly until you pull it out of their hand, if one or both of you are timid, it could easily fall.6. Thank the volunteers. 7. Assess the other bikers and get back up to speed.Have fun!

Edited by ransick 2012-08-14 10:00 PM
2012-08-14 11:39 PM
in reply to: #4361316

User image

Regular
Patrick E - 2012-08-13 4:14 PM

I learned that I really like the HIM distance!  Much like going from a 10-K to HM, going from OLY to HIM involves more strategy, which I enjoy.  Sounds like you got a handle on your nutrition plan, which is probably one of the biggest changes from OLY to HIM.

One oops moment for me was my first bottle handoff.  I got the bottle OK, but when I shoved it into my profile design aero bottle to fill it up, the rubber top of the profile design fell into the water.  I rode for 25 miles with water sloshing all over me.  I had never practiced it but I learned quickly to be gentle with the refill!

X2 - I really liked my 1st him. Folks here helped calm my nerves and rely on my training. Biggest point of advice I have is to have fun!!! No matter what you do, you will PR
2012-08-14 11:48 PM
in reply to: #4361098

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL

Bookmarking this thread for my HIM in Oct. Thanks OP. Having a hard time with nutrition. I just don't really feel the benefits. I carry either a clif bar or powerbar for the bike and take salt sticks for run/rides of an hour+ but could do without and just the average Gatorade bottle/water bottle combo does it.

Anybody have any experience with Infinitnutrition? I'm setting up a consultation with them. Seem to have a pretty solid following and I hate gels and blocks they're all so hard to consume when exercising.

2012-08-15 4:13 AM

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly

Since Steelhead is a WTC branded event, know the rule before hand. My first HIM was a WTC race and I was surprised by the level of enforcement by the race marshals around littering rules.  Just chucking a bottle or trash anywhere may get you a penalty.  There are pre-defined trash drop zone around the bike aid stations where you can discard your trash.  Therefore, it is important to figure out what you need and don't need pretty quickly.

To echo the others, HIM is about racing smart.  Leave a lot more in the tank for the run than you think you need.

2012-08-15 4:44 AM
in reply to: #4363845

rjrankin83 - 2012-08-14 11:48 PM

Anybody have any experience with Infinitnutrition? I'm setting up a consultation with them. Seem to have a pretty solid following and I hate gels and blocks they're all so hard to consume when exercising.

I'm doing a HIM in about 4 weeks. I was not feeling good coming off the bike after longer training rides so I figured nutrition was the root cause and ordered Infinit thru their website. It's worked out really well for me. Now if I could just do something about the heat / humidity...

2012-08-15 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

I printed out the athlete guide and that has all the rules.  It did mention the 'trash zone' so I'll definitely make sure I put it in the right spot.

I asked about the size of the water bottle because the bottle between my arms (on aerobards) is pointed toward me (the top).  Most people have the bottle pointed forward. I have S-Bend bars so it's a little tricky to get it out pointed forward.  Much much easier backwards.  But, if the water bottle they hand out is smaller, it could have a hard time staying in place. 

2012-08-15 11:35 AM
in reply to: #4363351

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

browncd - 2012-08-14 3:33 PM Since you are doing a large HIM, be prepared for the chaos at the first aid station on the bike. Some more experienced folks in my TRI club warned me about it. They advised to carry enough on the bike so you could skip the aid station if need be. When I did Augusta a couple of years ago, and they were right. Bikes were swerving everywhere; people were stopping without warning; water bottles rolling all over the place. There is a high risk for an accident. I just stayed way to the left and went right past it. The other aid stations were fine. Everybody had spread out after first one.

Lots of great points here! Thanks everyone!  My first HIM is still several months out so I have plenty of time to incorporate these suggestions.

2012-08-15 3:51 PM
in reply to: #4362599

User image

Pro
guppie58 - 2012-08-14 9:28 AM

Bike/Run: 20-30 oz water per hour, every 15 minutes, don't rely on thirst.  300 calories of carbs per hour.  Little solid food as possible. z

I'll compare these guidelines to what I used in training.  I don't think I'm too far off with calories, but I tend to over hydrate.   

You can easily sweat off that much liquid on a hot day- but that's more liquid than most people can absorb.  I predict a pee-fest.  But- better to be hydrated and pee, than to get dehydrated. 

2012-08-15 6:13 PM
in reply to: #4363845

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
rjrankin83 - 2012-08-15 12:48 AM

Infinit was great for my first HIM last fall: they modified my normal mix by adding some extra protein (and changing some other stuff).  They told me to make up a 3x concentrate (6 scoops in 20 oz insulated bottle instead of normal 2 scoops) for the bike portion, alternate between a drink of the mix and a drink of water.    Worked great, no GI issues.

On the run, best to learn to live off the course, so find out what they'll have and try out beforehand. 

Other than that, pacing like everyone said, take it one step at a time (physically and mentally), and enjoy the day.

2012-08-15 6:18 PM
in reply to: #4365246

User image

Sensei
Sin City
You can't go all out on an HIM like you can in an Oly.
2012-08-15 6:59 PM
in reply to: #4365036

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
morey000 - 2012-08-15 4:51 PM
guppie58 - 2012-08-14 9:28 AM

You can easily sweat off that much liquid on a hot day- but that's more liquid than most people can absorb.  I predict a pee-fest.  But- better to be hydrated and pee, than to get dehydrated. 

I haven't compared it to my water bottle consumption while training.  It just sucks because during training it was 95+ degrees so some water went over my body not in my mouth.  Right now I'm leaning toward a 24 bottle with nutrition and my aerobottle which is 21 Oz.  I'll have another 24 oz bottle off the saddle with just water.  This equates to 45 oz's of nutrition in my projected time of 2 hours and 45 minutes (based on avg speed). I'll have water bottle off the seat/aid stations if I need more.  

2012-08-17 3:37 PM

I recently ordered from Infinit and are loving working with them so far. My first batch has some protein in it, and it's causing me some GI issues after 1.5 hrs on the bike (which doesn't surprise me all that much). I just changed it to take out the protein all together and they upped my calories a little as well. They suggested I start with the no protein mix, do an hour with that, do an hour with protein, and do my next hour without protein. My body just doesn't flush it out fast enough. I've really enjoyed working with them so far.

2012-08-22 7:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Big thanks to everyone for their advice. It helped A LOT.  

Race went great.  Time was 5:54.  The swim was about 4-6 minutes slower than training. I came in at 39 minutes.  The bike was 20.5 mph avg, which is a lot slower than normal.  The roads were god awful. Needed ice for my nads after the bike.  I probable could have squeaked more out of the bike, but I did have an awesome run (for me).  So, as somebody else said, I may have paced the bike perfectly.  

I ended up with a water bottle between the arms filled with water. I had two smaller water bottles behind the seat and my aero bottle on seat tube.  Those three had my nutrition.  I grabbed one banana at aid station, other than that never stopped.  

You guys weren't lying about the running stations being a buffet.  I was going to bring my fuel belt but decided against it in transition.  Great decision.  

The only nutrition issue was getting very very hungry.  My breakfast could have been slightly bigger and I should have brought an energy bar during first mile or two of the bike and run.  

I consumed 1 salt tab and 1 gel every 45 minutes. Worked great.  Also helped two fellow athletes on the run with nutrition.  These guys were hurting so they were happy to get the salt tab and caffeine it contained.  My GARMIN was programmed to beep every 15 minutes to remind me to drink and take nutrition.

First tri that had coke at aid stations. That was beautiful.  So were the pretzels.  They had GU chews, but it was almost impossible to open them with sweaty hands.  Ended up throwing one away because of that.  

Again thanks to all.  Next year will be my first IM.  

Edited by guppie58 2012-08-22 7:53 PM

2012-08-22 9:57 PM

User image

Elite
I was wondering how it went... sounds like you did a fantastic job managing the race. Awesome job!
2012-08-22 10:01 PM

User image

Bronze member
Glad you updated the thread and glad you had a successful race. Congratulations!
2012-08-22 11:07 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida

That "run" is really a 5 letter word with the word "walk" buried somewhere in the middle.

I had my best swim ever, biked right where I planned, and then died on the run.  Almost 45 minutes slower than my stand alone HM time.  

2012-08-23 11:38 AM
in reply to: #4376177

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
cwpeters - 2012-08-23 12:07 AM

That "run" is really a 5 letter word with the word "walk" buried somewhere in the middle.

I had my best swim ever, biked right where I planned, and then died on the run.  Almost 45 minutes slower than my stand alone HM time.  

What happened on run?  Bonk?  Did you not get enough nutrition on the bike?  

I struggle with 'lap' runs. Nothing is more mentally defeating then passing the 4mile sign with the 9mile sign right next to it.  But my head really stayed in the game.  I just plugged away at it.  Could have done without the monster hill after Whirlpool, but at least it was short.  

I got a serious education in nutrition and pacing.  

2012-08-23 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4376101

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

powerman - 2012-08-22 10:57 PM I was wondering how it went... sounds like you did a fantastic job managing the race. Awesome job!

Thanks for that pacing guide.  I read it multiple times and it really helped.  Also the advice with the Garmin.  Programming really took the 'thought' out of nutrition.  Thanks again.

2012-08-31 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4376926

User image

Veteran
Maryland
guppie58 - 2012-08-23 11:39 AM

powerman - 2012-08-22 10:57 PM I was wondering how it went... sounds like you did a fantastic job managing the race. Awesome job!

Thanks for that pacing guide.  I read it multiple times and it really helped.  Also the advice with the Garmin.  Programming really took the 'thought' out of nutrition.  Thanks again.

Guppie, question, it looks like you did a 2 week taper.  Was that perfect for you?  

2012-08-31 4:23 PM
in reply to: #4390135

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
It worked really well for me.  
2012-08-31 4:33 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Looking forward to reading your race report.  We did our 1st HIM the same day, just different parts of the country.

This thread is one of my favorites that I have participated in.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Going From OLY to HIM, What Did You Learn? Rss Feed  

of 3