General Discussion Triathlon Talk » West Point Lake Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-12 11:54 AM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
Subject: West Point Lake Triathlon
The race is in West Point GA on July 23, 2006.

http://www.gamultisports.com/westpoint_race.html

I swam the lake and drove the run and biking course.

The swim course is from the south eastern part of the lakeand is only 5 minutes from my In-Laws' house (sweet no 5am wake up!). The lake is an Army Corp of Engineers' lake. The water is murky and the bottom is rocky with clay. There are few rotten leaves so the bottom isn't too gross. There is a distinct motor oil taste to the water and only one powerboat came close to me. Overall not too bad. There is very little in the way of waves.

The run is mostly flat and has very nice, plush grass along the asphault for running low impact. It's a straight out and back with two trips over the West Point Dam. Very scenic view there.

The bike ride has some moderate rolling hills, but did not seem killer to me. It goes outside the park and I'm not sure what the traffic situation will be.

The weather will be HOT HOT HOT. I was out there in 101F this weekend on the road . The heat was dry that day. Mid July can be darn muggy.

I look forward to seeing folks there. It's my first Olympic! Hopefully we can get a group for dinner the night before or lunch afterwards.

2006-06-12 1:07 PM
in reply to: #451298

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Subject: RE: West Point Lake Triathlon
I think I'm going to pass....  I'm not really motivated right now to do any triathlons this summer.  I want to do is focus on IM training and getting in some long runs/rides on the weekends which will probably be more beneficial in the long run   So I'm officially bailing on this race. 
2006-06-12 2:21 PM

User image

Expert
White House, TN

Hmmm...I'm itching to tri an Oly but I haven't been training much yet.  To be honest, the time cut-offs kinda worry me, especially the 1 hour 10k.  However, the fact that they have the Jumbo Clydesdale class is a great incentive because I can move for a big guy.

I'm a definite "maybe."  I'll have to do some more looking and planning.

Upon further review, I am out.  I don't race on Sundays as I have other priorities.  Sorry.

Edited by Hawkeye 2006-06-12 2:26 PM
2006-06-12 3:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Smyrna

Being from LaGrange, this was my first tri (I really count it as my first tri ever) of last season.  I'm in for it again this year.

The swim isn't too bad.  No oil taste to the water last year and the race officials keep any boats away.  The worse part about the water last year is that it was about 86 degrees.  Not really the most pleasant type of water to dip your body in on race day. 

The best part about the swim is that it is seeded according to swim abilities.  2 people go off every 5 seconds.  I love this type of start.  No mass waves to have to beat your way through.

Traffic situation on the bike is moderate.  Since it's early on Sunday morning, you might have a couple of cars pass you on the main road (West Point Road) but again the course is well marked and monitored and I never felt unsafe.

The run is scenic and flat, but by the time you hit this section of the tri, the sun has been up for a good 2 - 3 hours and things have heated up.  I know that the section over the dam was one of the hottest running experiences I've ever had.  Makes you really glad to see the cold water showers once you finish the tri.

Also, regarding the cut-off times - you don't have to do the 10k in one hour.  The race already gives you 1 hour to complete the swim and an 2.5 hours to do the bike, so really all you need to insure is that you can finish the race in under 4.5 hours.  You should finish the bike well under 2 hours and 30 minutes and so some of that time could be allocated to your run.

Looking forward to meeting others out there.  Good luck training!

2006-06-14 9:42 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

While I haven't registered, I am 90% there ... this will be my first tri since Gulf Coast in the beginning of May - so not sure what to expect.

Dinenr afterwards?  Great! Because we are all staying at your in-laws place and raiding the liqour cabinet ...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » West Point Lake Triathlon Rss Feed