World Triathlon Corporation
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 04m 30s
Overall Rank = 773/1200
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am, bagel with PB and Nutella, Banana and bottle of water and a cup of coffee. Had a Gu about 30 minutes before race. Race started about 6:55 am.
Event warmup:

1 minute swim in ocean.
Swim
  • 45m 7s
  • 2078 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

I don't think I've ever been kicked or elbowed so much in a race. Will avoid the main pack next time, although that's a challenge in a mass start. Felt pretty good in the swim, maybe went too fast, mostly breathing every stroke. Didn't feel really settled until the last 300m.
Transition 1
  • 05m 44s
Comments:

Briefly rinsed with fresh water and took off wetsuit in the mass shower area that you run through from the ocean to the bikes. Glasses were knocked off of helmet/bike, so looked around on the ground a few seconds, hoping they weren't stepped on. No problem, they were fine.
Bike
  • 3h 12m 41s
  • 55.92 miles
  • 17.41 mile/hr
Comments:

My HR was quite high for the first 10 minutes, probably because of going too fast in the swim and excitement. Was very conscious of going slow until the HR was in the 150s. Maintained HR in 150-160s for most of the race. First lap went very well, but last 1/2 of 2nd lap some cramps began to develop - quads and hamstrings. Slowed my pace a bit and road through them.
What would you do differently?:

Probably slow my pace when I could feel the muscles working a bit too hard. It's a challenge to balance the pace vs. push dynamic. Also, had 1-2 bottles of race sports drink, this didn't sit well with my stomach. Should have brought Gu tabs with me and added them to the water.
Transition 2
  • 04m 6s
Comments:

Sprayed some more sunscreen, but didn't use enough on the shoulders. Put on visor, added a Gu to the jersey, changed shoes and was off.
Run
  • 2h 56m 54s
  • 13.05 miles
  • 13m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Was worried at the start of the run about the cramps on the bike, but these weren't a problem at first. I knew I needed to pace myself, did the first 5k in 33 minutes. But it was a struggle from here. Next 8k was about 1/2 run 1/2 walk, then following 5k was almost all walk, thankfully was able to scoot/jog last 2K. The cramps were pretty bad in the calves, ankles and shins. Tried to run more, but they would seize up - was concerned if I kept running, that I wouldn't be able to finish. So mostly walked at that point.
What would you do differently?:

Ate 1 1/2 bananas during first 4k, this helped with cramps and stomach. However, I think I had too much water, felt bloated/nasuous several times during the run.
Post race
Warm down:

beer, potato chips, banana, water

Event comments:

A great location, very scenic, awesome volunteers who cheered a lot, aid stations were great - both on bike and run.

Last updated: 2011-08-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:07 | 2078 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1200
Performance: Average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Triangle, 2 laps, out of water in between laps.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:44
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:12:41 | 55.92 miles | 17.41 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 2 Laps with long flat sections, one big hill with a few small rises as well. Decent wind along the ocean made it a little more challenging. Some parts of the road were quite rough, yellow water stopper flew off bike, saw many bike accesories in the road. But actually, most of the road was pretty smooth.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:06
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:56:54 | 13.05 miles | 13m 34s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Mostly flat along the ocean, some rises up and down. Great aid stations, every 2k, ice sponges at almost every station were great, because it was quite hot and sunny at that point.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes