REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 54m 5s
Overall Rank = 171/397
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 30/51
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to the Dells on Friday night. We made a family vacation out of it, staying at a Glacier Canyon Wyndam condo, part of the Wilderness resort, with my in-law's and sister-in-law's family. It's a nice place and we really like the Wilderness, plus there's lots to do for the kids and family while I'm racing.
I skipped the practice swim to spend more family time - no big deal I don't think. I'm sure it was fun, but family time is more important. After making breakfast (animal waffles!) for everyone, we eventually made it down to the pools. We hung out in the indoor pool most most of the morning, ordered lunch, and then I went back to the room and rode my bike over to the expo/transition area to check in. Check in was a breeze and I made it in time to catch the pro panel Q & A as well as the athlete meeting. This was my first time trial swim start, so I was glad to hear more about how it would go. Dropped my bike at transition and walked around the swim area to check things out. I thought the Tommy Bartlett venue was pretty cool!
I was going to jog/run back to the hotel, but decided to walk instead since I had a backpack that was bouncing around a lot. Back to the pool for a bit then back to the room to rest up and eat dinner.
Event warmup:

Up at 4am on race morning. Ignoring the "nothing new on race day" rule, I changed my pre-race breakfast to all-liquid with the hopes of avoiding the GI distress that I had at Racine. It worked! I had two scoops of First Endurance ultragen along with an EFS liquid shot flask plus some water. Got all my bottles and gear together and headed off to walk to transition. It took about 20 minutes or so and I had plenty of time to get set up.
After getting everything set, I walked from swim in back to my rack then headed down to the swim and found the bathroom. My fellow Ytri teammate found me and was gracious enough to hold my gatorade and gel while I jumped in the water for a few minutes. Water felt fine and eventually I got out and went to wait for the start of the race.
Swim
  • 40m 27s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

I liked the time trial start. I realize wave, beach starts aren't much to worry about either, but this was a little easier still. I also liked how the water dropped off right away so you could start swimming. No wading/running through shallow water. This 40 minute time was much more what I was expecting the first time around at Racine, so I am happy with it. Not sure quite how I managed 35 minutes a month ago. Water was find although cloudy, but no weeds or other obstacles.
What would you do differently?:

Just more swim practice, plain & simple. Hopefully I will make it to a master's group this winter. More open water swimming would help, too, but it's not that accessible for me and I'm sure just more swimming in general is the ticket. Plus I probably need more drills and go harder in general in the pool if I want to get faster.
Transition 1
  • 04m 27s
Comments:

The hills start right away! Quarter mile run uphill from the swim to transition. Not bad, but not flat. I stopped a little bit before transition on the path to take off my wetsuit. I find it much easier than trying to do it near my transition spot. I used regular socks instead of toe socks and it seemed to be faster and I still had no blister issues, so that is good.

I probably could have swam without a wetsuit if I really wanted to cut down my T time, but given that I'm not a good swimmer and the water was down to 72-73, I have no regrets wearing the suit. Otherwise pretty happy with transition.
Bike
  • 3h 11m 30s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.55 mile/hr
Comments:

Yup, lots of hills. I knew that going in. I also knew I should have trained on more hills, but such is life. I was very glad to have ridden the course the previous weekend. At least I knew what I was in for. My ultimate goal was a good run, so I did my best on the hills without killing myself. I wasn't fast, but I didn't have to walk, either, which I was proud of. And I had lots of fun on downhills! Highway 33 was a bit of a nerve-racker with the traffic - maybe they could find a different route next time? I was happy with my nutrition, too. I didn't drink everything I planned on, but I feel like I adjusted well to the cooler temperatures. I made it through most of my water which I think was another key to avoiding the GI issues of Racine.

More hill training. And just more biking in general to improve my fitness so I can go harder and still have a good run. But I'm very happy with my performance in only my second HIM.
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

I don't do the flying dismount or whatever it's called and I'm fine with that. Otherwise I'm happy with T2.

Not much, besides possibly ditch the water belt. But I'm glad I had it for the run.
Run
  • 1h 55m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I guess I must have passed some people on the run as my finishing place improved from the bike. I wasn't really paying attention, just trying to run my race. I am so happy with this run! It couldn't have gone much worse than Racine unless I was walking the entire run, but I drank a ton more water, especially in the first 5k, and I think that was the key. At Racine, I tried mixing my EFS liquid shot with water in my handheld water bottle and drinking it every mile. Big mistake, I think. Not nearly enough water. This time I kept the EFS in its flask and took a bunch of water with each sip. I also got plenty of water from the aid stations and some cola, too, especially early in the run. Along the way when I got tired, I just thought of crossing the finish line with my daughter and I perked right up. That was easily the best part of the race - finishing with my girl!

More hilly run training. And as mentioned more bike training leading to a better run.
Post race
Warm down:

Did I mention that I got to cross the finish line with my baby girl! She was so excited - as was I when I saw my wife and daughter along the fence leading towards the finish chute. My wife hoisted my daughter over the fence and we took off for the finish. It was absolutely great - and she even got a medal!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience and overall training. Not much fitness to be gained in the four weeks since Racine, but I am glad that I tweaked my nutrition and that it worked better this time.

Event comments:

Great race and venue. The course was probably a little more difficult than my fitness level, but I managed and still had fun. Looking back, there were a few things I heard about that didn't happen as promised, like the water slide at the finish, the kids race, and the bounce house for the kids. Plus I heard the expo was a lot smaller than other Rev3 events. All that is kinda trivial to me - the race was well organized and seemed to have enough volunteers to keep things moving. I would definitely do another Rev3 event!

Last updated: 2011-11-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:27 | 2112 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 36/51
Overall: 225/397
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vortex Full
Course: Rectangular (?) looking counter-clockwise course out away from the stage around two buoys and back to the exit ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:27
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:11:30 | 56 miles | 17.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 34/51
Overall: 204/397
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Hills, hills and more hills. Lollipop-style with a big loop South of the interstate. 3 big climbs plus some more smaller hills. Fun downhills!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good