General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Snapshot: New Stubby Aero Helmet vs. Long Tail Aero Helmet. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-08-19 12:40 AM
in reply to: #4369533

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Snapshot: New Stubby Aero Helmet vs. Long Tail Aero Helmet.
tjfry - 2012-08-18 5:23 PM

I'm going to just take a guess that the experts will discover that they can make a relatively aero helmet, but with vents, as they discover that the cooling effect on the body far outweighs the extreme aero benefits. So they will come out with ridiculously light helmets (Sub 6 anyone?). Just a guess....or maybe just that I raced through the '90's, so I already know how this history repeats itself!haha

I would LOVE to race in a Sub-6 again!

2012-08-19 6:34 AM
in reply to: #4369646

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Snapshot: New Stubby Aero Helmet vs. Long Tail Aero Helmet.
tjfry - 2012-08-18 10:50 PM
trigal38 - 2012-08-18 8:03 PM
tjfry - 2012-08-18 7:23 PM

What cracks me up about all of this is that this is all the second go round for all of this. Anyone remember the aerodyne hemlet and then short after the Giro Lemond wore to victory? Aero helmets were the fastest thing you could by based on wind tunnel data then too. Then they tightened up the tail. See the pic below of Paula in the 1997 Ironman. No vents, snubbed nose. 1997.

I'm going to just take a guess that the experts will discover that they can make a relatively aero helmet, but with vents, as they discover that the cooling effect on the body far outweighs the extreme aero benefits. So they will come out with ridiculously light helmets (Sub 6 anyone?). Just a guess....or maybe just that I raced through the '90's, so I already know how this history repeats itself!haha

So what kind of helmet do you race in?

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm no different then anyone else. It wasn't meant to be condescending. I race in both fully vented and fully aero. My aero helmet is a specialized. I believe the vented is a bell. I also still have the old Giro aero helmet in my garage. my point was more that of Toms. It seems more marketing than science or we would have settled on a best type of helmet long ago. If we had done that though, my guess is that high end helmet sales would plummet, as you only need to replace when you crash. I have similar thoughts on race wheels. They make em a millimeter fatter (firecrest) and tell us it makes tons of difference. Otherwise we'd be rolling on the same wheels year after year.

I swear I was not being snarky asking the question and did not think your post was condescending. I am finding out it is difficult to post a simple question on the internet this week....

I was just asking what you choose to wear because you have experience and have seen things come and go. For someone like me who has only been around the sport 4 years I appreciate the perspective of more experienced people.

This was my first year racing short course on my tri bike and I gained about 1.5 miles per hour average over the years I raced on my road bike but I have also continued to work hard on my bike. Next year I want to try to continue working the bike hard and see if I continue making gains. If not, I'll be looking for the helmet but for now I think I can just keep working. The race wheels are not a likely purchase for me ever (I know never say never). If I have that much extra cash I'd rather buy another bike .

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Snapshot: New Stubby Aero Helmet vs. Long Tail Aero Helmet. Rss Feed  

of 2