General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why didn't I find out about Newtons sooner? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-18 9:34 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Why didn't I find out about Newtons sooner?
So after seeing a demo day at a local sprint that had Newton's as a demo, it seemed everyone raved about them. I didn't demo them since I'm not one to try anything new on race day, especially with my feet. Twelve years ago I shattered my ankle (talus and fib) requiring extensive surgery to repair it. Needless to say, my feet hate running. And I'm super sensitive to what shoes I wear. I did some reading and was having some issues with me feet in my Asics Gel Kayanos after just 150 miles. While at my local shop I checked out Newtons and figured I'd been working a lot, so I'd reward myself and try them. After a few runs in them, I can finally run and walk the next day without pain from running. I've worn shoes that have made it better, but none that made it good (comfortable) to walk the next day. I'd always been fit for running shoes at the local running store (with gait analysis, etc). I wish I found out about Newtons and tried them sooner. It probably would have made running more enjoyable all this time that I've just "gotten through it." So glad I tried them!Shane

2012-08-19 9:58 AM
in reply to: #4369606

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Why didn't I find out about Newtons sooner?
the more i read about them the more i am interested in trying them out.  need to put a few hundred more miles on my mizunos first though
2012-08-19 11:37 AM

User image

New user
US
I also would like to try the Newtons.
2012-08-19 4:04 PM

User image

Regular

Yeah, my interest is piqued too.  I've worn Brooks Adrenalines since the model 5s were out.  But I've pretty much kept a case of PF on/off the last 4-5 years.  Even with custom orthotics.  I still haven't returned to running from my last calcaneous stress fracture although I have been released to do so.  I am walking currently and up to 4 or 5 miles at a time.  I figure now may be a good time to make the switch.  I am an overpronator though so I'm not sure they would work for me.  And I have a very narrow foot.  So fit might be an issue if they don't come in widths.

jami

2012-08-19 4:05 PM

User image

Regular

double post

Edited by jdotten 2012-08-19 4:05 PM
2012-08-19 4:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio

I started using Newton Gravities earlier this year during my "running season". I had heard mixed reviews about Newtons based on how people adhere to the break in period. If you are not an efficient for/mid foot striker already, make sure to ease into them.

I was a DS Trainer guy but didnt like the new version (at the time) and  had been working more and more at becoming efficient at my foot strike. I am an overpronator. These shoes have helped my efficiency, but they're not a magic bullet. I used them for my half Marathon earlier this year and felt good all around. Since i've been running more/longer for IM training, i went back to DS Trainers (version17) for longer runs. There just wasn't enough cushioning in the Gravities for me, for those runs, but i still use them for 5-9 mile runs.

Just my experience with them...others are different and they have different versions of the shoe

2012-08-19 5:05 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach
I'm faster in them at the same heart rate. They work for me. I run faster in them. It makes logical sense the forefoot stores and returns energy in the actuators.

I did have lower leg distress initially because i didn't heed Newton's specific directives about acclimation. I was faster! To heck with the directions! Ooops...

Newton has recently re-designed aspects if some models of actuators on some shoes with a new radiused leading edge. The MV2 has radiused actuators. Those seem to facilitate easier acclimation.

I was a very early adopter and the test shoes I got prior to the commercial release were, according to a re-fit Newton's founder did on me, a half size too large. That may have had an influence on my early experience. It likely would have been even better if i had been in the more appropriately sized shoe.

I haven't tried some of the most recent models, but i'm looking forward to.
2012-08-19 5:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

Everyone I know that uses them swear by them.  From an engineering perspective, the return energy concept should work since it's like running on springs (well doesn't feel like that, but the concept is the same).

I tried them and unfortunately they are not for me at this time.  They don't have the same feel that I like out of my minimalist shoes, for instance the Saucony Grid Type 5.  I'm also a paranoid guy, and any shoe that "I have to get used to", makes me wonder what it will do to me in the long run.

2012-08-19 7:17 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
they've been the first and only shoe that has felt perfectly natural from the first step. I've always been a mid-foot striker, so the adaptation period for me was a couple of miles. Once I started to run in Newton's, I've realized how all other shoes has felt strange somehow...
2012-08-19 7:36 PM

I made the switch from asics nimbus to newton distance S and of course let my ego get in the way. The box clealy talks about EASING into them, starting with just 1 mile. Well I laced them up and just picked up where I left off with my asics and now I'm trying to recover from a stress fracture on the top of my left foot. I'm in week 6 of my, 8-9 week layoff and dying to run again. I will not let my injury deter me and my effort to wear Newtons. I will just follow the instructions, when I get back on my feet. At least my bike and swim are improving!
2012-08-19 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas City
I have a pair of Distance also. I'm not 100% switched over yet, but usually two 3 mile runs a week. Someone else mentioned that they're not magic, very true. I'm starting to see some changes in my form though. Some is definitely from the shoes, some is me being more conscious of it. I'm still not sure if I'll ever switch completely over but, like Tom experienced, I'm faster in them at the same heart rate. That's on the same course with nearly identical temperature. I like them more every time I wear them but I've been nearly phobic about using them too much. ETA: I'm a pudgy slow guy,so my experience should be taken with a grain of salt. :-)

Edited by Corey07 2012-08-19 7:49 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why didn't I find out about Newtons sooner? Rss Feed