General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Head wavers side to side, why? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-20 9:13 AM

User image

Toronto-ish
Subject: Head wavers side to side, why?

When I see my shadow while running it's apparent my head wavers side to side. I'm guessing this is not a great thing.Good runners just don't do this.

Anyone have a good idea of the cause? Cure? Is it a core strength issue? Timing? Balance?

I'm a fat bastard and there's 220 lbs of momentum to offset while I run (5'9").

2012-08-20 9:53 AM
in reply to: #4370920

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Subject: RE: Head wavers side to side, why?
marvintpa - 2012-08-20 10:13 AM

When I see my shadow while running it's apparent my head wavers side to side. I'm guessing this is not a great thing.Good runners just don't do this.

Anyone have a good idea of the cause? Cure? Is it a core strength issue? Timing? Balance?

I've seen "good runners" with all kinds of bad or strange habits regarding technique. Is it painful or does it hurt your performance? If not, I wouldn't worry about it really.

2012-08-21 7:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
marvintpa - 2012-08-20 9:13 AM

Everyone has a natural gait or rhythm when they run. This rhythm changes when running 400m to doing 26.2 mi. Some people have a better natural rhythm than others.

I assume when training you are doing distance runs and not sprinting. For distance runs, your rhythm should be what I call the distance runner's shuffle. Kind of a slight knee lift shuffle/ waddle with a slight swing from side to side of your arms as your weight shifts during your stride. Your head is most likely following this rhythm and moving with the rest of you body. Nothing to worry about unless your neck is sore after you run.

It is just your rhythm... listen to the beat and run with it.

2012-08-22 7:28 AM

User image

Toronto-ish
It's not painful (at least the pain is unable to compete with the others elsewhere in the body enough to register), it just looks like I'm doing my best impression of an old metronome - a very slow one.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Head wavers side to side, why? Rss Feed