General Discussion Triathlon Talk » injuries from weak muscles??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-22 3:15 PM

User image

Regular
Akron
Subject: injuries from weak muscles???

I've really thought long about this because of all injuries I've had over the past year. I've had knee, hip and ankle issues. I can understand why my ankle was weak, but when I saw a PT and they told me I had week hips and glutes causing knee issues I questionned it. I wander how I could have week hips and glutes if I have the endurance to repeatedly do marathons and I just completed my first IM.

Do they really mean to tell me I have muscles that are not balanced? Do they mean I need to work the secondary muscles instead of primary?? Am I the only one that doesn't understand how they can be weak in these areas if they have been running for so long. I know running and biking work different muscles, but I'm wandering how all of a sudden everything could just go weak this year.

Was I only maintaining the muscle over the years by only continuing to run and bike? I'm sure a decrease in flexibility could cause some issues and I know that as you age you decrease in muscle and flexibility, but I thought I was alteast maintaining as I continued on racing and training.

I've started to add weights in my routine now, to avoid issues in the future. Does anyone else wander about this.

2012-08-22 9:10 PM
in reply to: #4375495

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: injuries from weak muscles???
I, too, suffered from chronic hip/knee issues that my ortho/PT blamed on weak hips/glutes.  Put me on a regimen of strengthening exercises and I've been trouble-free since (5 years) with a large number of long distance cycling, running, and tri events under my belt.  Lightbulb came on for me when my PT pointed out that us runners/bikers/tri-folk only go in one direction, so the adductor/abductors and other stabilizer muscles go largely un-used.  
2012-08-22 9:12 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Doing long endurance events is hard on your body. Putting a lot of time or miles doing one repetitive movement if you have any imbalances, you will get injuries.

Finding someone who sees the big pictures to help you strengthen and help you improvement patterns is very helpful and often prevents injuries.

2012-08-23 6:28 AM
in reply to: #4376045

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

grandhavenbill - 2012-08-22 10:10 PM I, too, suffered from chronic hip/knee issues that my ortho/PT blamed on weak hips/glutes.  Put me on a regimen of strengthening exercises and I've been trouble-free since (5 years) with a large number of long distance cycling, running, and tri events under my belt.  Lightbulb came on for me when my PT pointed out that us runners/bikers/tri-folk only go in one direction, so the adductor/abductors and other stabilizer muscles go largely un-used.  

Will you list some of the exercises they had you doing.  thanks

2012-08-23 7:37 AM
in reply to: #4376304

User image

Regular
Akron
KWDreamun - 2012-08-23 6:28 AM

grandhavenbill - 2012-08-22 10:10 PM I, too, suffered from chronic hip/knee issues that my ortho/PT blamed on weak hips/glutes.  Put me on a regimen of strengthening exercises and I've been trouble-free since (5 years) with a large number of long distance cycling, running, and tri events under my belt.  Lightbulb came on for me when my PT pointed out that us runners/bikers/tri-folk only go in one direction, so the adductor/abductors and other stabilizer muscles go largely un-used.  

Will you list some of the exercises they had you doing.  thanks

do you still do the strength program during your tri season? I too, would be interested in hearing what they have you do. I think I'm finally starting to feel the effects of strenght training. I have been doing leg press, abductor/aductor machine, hamstring machine, hip flexor machine and then I use the resistance bands. It's just so difficult to get in the gym to do this during season. I can leave my house directly for my runs and bike rides. Guess I have to do what I have to do!

2012-08-23 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4376304

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

I do a variety of bridges, clamshells and reverse clamshells (with resistance band), monster walk, lunges, karaoke (or carioca), high knees, mini-squats, sit-backs, quad sets, very slo bicycles, one leg balance drills, etc.

I don't do them all every day, but I usually get in 15-30 minutes of a selection of them most days. No gym needed.

2012-08-23 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4376500

User image

Regular
Akron
mmrocker13 - 2012-08-23 8:47 AM

I do a variety of bridges, clamshells and reverse clamshells (with resistance band), monster walk, lunges, karaoke (or carioca), high knees, mini-squats, sit-backs, quad sets, very slo bicycles, one leg balance drills, etc.

I don't do them all every day, but I usually get in 15-30 minutes of a selection of them most days. No gym needed.

Maybe I wasn't doing enough at home stuff and the weights helped more

2012-08-25 11:14 AM
in reply to: #4376500

User image

Extreme Veteran
mmrocker13 - 2012-08-23 9:47 AM

This is exactly what my PT prescribed for me.  All easily done at home on the floor, 15-20 minutes per session, 3 - 4X per week.  And, yes, I do this all year.  I also add resistance training in the off-season (barbell lunges, leg press, etc.).

2012-08-25 11:44 AM

User image

Expert
Salem

I have had to bail on two attempts at completing my first Marathon.  On the first I ended up running the half instead and most recently (as of yesterday) I made the decision to quit training for a Marathon in Oct.  Most recently my soleus and achilles has been super tight; I'd get to three miles on a run and I would get a twinge and it would ache and tighten up.  Ended up walking back home for 2.5 miles.  That is getting a bit old.  I have to think it is due to improper muscle balance on many parts of my 49 yr. old body. 

I have missed three of my long runs and 3-4 weeks of training due to injuries.  I have decided to rest for a little bit and get into the gym to hit the weights, continue swimming, running shorter distances and lose some weight for next year.  I probably am done with the long distance stuff and will stick to Half-Ironman Distance tris and below.  My body just can't handle the wear and tear or running alone; especially my right leg where all my injuries occur.  Thanks for the insight on the exercises.

2012-08-28 11:06 AM
in reply to: #4380001

User image

Extreme Veteran
TriGuyBri - 2012-08-25 12:44 PM

I have had to bail on two attempts at completing my first Marathon.  On the first I ended up running the half instead and most recently (as of yesterday) I made the decision to quit training for a Marathon in Oct.  Most recently my soleus and achilles has been super tight; I'd get to three miles on a run and I would get a twinge and it would ache and tighten up.  Ended up walking back home for 2.5 miles.  That is getting a bit old.  I have to think it is due to improper muscle balance on many parts of my 49 yr. old body. 

I have missed three of my long runs and 3-4 weeks of training due to injuries.  I have decided to rest for a little bit and get into the gym to hit the weights, continue swimming, running shorter distances and lose some weight for next year.  I probably am done with the long distance stuff and will stick to Half-Ironman Distance tris and below.  My body just can't handle the wear and tear or running alone; especially my right leg where all my injuries occur.  Thanks for the insight on the exercises.

Don't throw in the towel yet.  I, too, struggled with injuries and never thought I'd be able to go long.  After finding a good ortho/PT pair who collectively put me in orthotics, started me on the routine noted above, and helped me modify my gait above  -  I've since completed 12 mary's (#13 next month), 2 IM's, and a host of other swim/bike/run events.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » injuries from weak muscles??? Rss Feed