General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Commuting questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-08-22 7:13 PM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Subject: Commuting questions
Moving to a new area where I have about 18 miles from my house to the office. Traffic is notoriously bad. So I plan on commuting as much as I can.

I'm thinking about bike types and was considering a Cross bike because I can ride it in any weather and over rough spots, glass, etc.

What are the flaws in my plan?
What do I need to make sure I get to make it?
What should I make sure to do?

2012-08-23 7:00 AM
in reply to: #4375907

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-09-03 11:40 AM

Subject: RE: Commuting questions
I got my 1996 Bianchi steel roadie back from my buddy who borrowed it 3 years ago. Did a ride this morning and turns out it rides pretty well.

I found a panniner rack in the garage that my pops left down here on a trip.

I have flashy lights from all the Pre dawn training I've done.

Question is should I stick with road bike tires for a commute or get some more rugged cross wheels and tires? It looks like I have a little space for the cross tires and wheels on the bike but the brakes will need to be fully recalibrated to allow the tire in.
2012-09-03 12:05 PM
in reply to: #4393064

2012-09-03 8:41 PM
in reply to: #4393064

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I would stick with road tires but would go wider, say 27-28mm at ~90psi. I've used Continental UltaSports for a few years with no problems; generally I get 3000km out of them.

Rack and panniers is the way to go but I would also add fenders if you plan on wet weather riding. Also, waterproof panniers are the way to go as surprise rain storms can quickly ruin your day with wet clothes and electronics or paperwork.

Shane
2012-09-04 6:51 PM

Thanks guys.

Ortleib seems to make the top of the line panniner bags. Anyone have those?

2012-09-05 4:34 PM

I'll be commuting more to work in the fall winter.  I just use my normal road bike, and use gatorskin like tires.  Lights are a must for me.

I don't commute everyday, so I drive over my clean and dirty clothes.  The only thing I have to carry with me when I ride is my wallet, phone, and work ID.

2012-09-05 7:59 PM
in reply to: #4395340

2012-09-06 1:18 PM

Elite

I commuted for years on my mountain bike. It was what I did. There was no reason to put money into a road bike that would go faster. I commuted to stay in shape for mountain biking. So to me it was just a harder workout.

Now I did put on some 1.25 street tires that would do 85psi. They rolled great. Plenty of meat to keep the glass out. A carcass will not do much to prevent flats... thicker rubber prevents flats from all the crap you pick up one city roads. Once the tires started to wear, lots of flats. I did move to tuff strips and those were probably the most successful at keeping out trash.

Point being is I used trails and short cuts and had no problem bunny hopping curbs or what ever I wanted to do. A road bike is just that, and nothing more. Even a cross bike... yes I know what they are for... are still not very comfortable. A mountain bike is at least comfortable... and no you do not need full suspension.

If you do go with cross/road... then yes, put the biggest tire you can get on it. Run it at 80 psi and at least get some volume and a little comfort out of it. Get some cheap durable wheels that you do not care about. No it isn't fast, that is not the point... it is more work. My commute is 10 miles and it is only 25 minute there and 45 home...it's too short. I try to use them as TTs. Now that my season is over I am going back to my mountain bike and having some fun.

2012-09-07 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4395340

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I just did some bike touring in France. I rode about 1700km on my 32mm Schwabe Marathon tires and no flats, so I highly recommend these.

I used Ortleib panniers too. I think mine were the Back roller classic panniers. They worked really well too, but might be overkill for commuting. However, I have found them great for shopping too.

2012-09-19 2:11 PM

Hey guys, an update and thanks for the tips.

I did my first round-trip yesterday.  17.5 miles each way, definitely more downhill going to work than going home.  On the way home, the hills are a lot steeper as well. 

However, it was a great ride both ways and I'm really enjoying the commuting thing.  I made the mistake yesterday of wearing a backpack and carrying my laptop on my back (haven't bought the paniner bags yet).  My back was so sore at about mile 12.  I wouldn't have done that, but I had to take it to my apartment to get my internet set-up there. 

I'm thinking about getting some 28mm tires at Mellow Johnny's on the way home. A little bigger than the ones I have, but not a MTB tire.

I'm planning to ride home tonight and in tomorrow morning.  Curious how often you guys ride-in.  Because I'm without my wife and kids for a few months, I can't borrow her car or get a ride in with her for the next 9 months so I'm thinking commute Tuesday, Weds, Thurs, Group Ride Saturday.

Any thoughts?

2012-09-19 2:26 PM
in reply to: #4418981

Champion
GomesBolt - 2012-09-19 4:11 PM

I'm planning to ride home tonight and in tomorrow morning.  Curious how often you guys ride-in.  Because I'm without my wife and kids for a few months, I can't borrow her car or get a ride in with her for the next 9 months so I'm thinking commute Tuesday, Weds, Thurs, Group Ride Saturday.

Glad to hear it went (fairly) well. Definitely get some panniers and get the weight off your back - this makes a huge difference in the comfort of your commute.

My commute is only 20k round trip but I ride every day that I can; normally I do some hard riding every commute but if I'm feeling tired, I'll just cruise. For you that will depend on whether you have the time to commute by bike every day but if you do, assuming you're in decent shape, you should be able to commute every day if you want.

Shane
2012-09-20 11:26 AM

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Hey that sounds good. Downhill to work is definitely better. That way you don't get too sweaty. That's what I think anyway.

Whenever I carry a laptop in my backpack, not only does it kill my back, but I seem to find that it is harder on my girly parts too, so do get the panniers.

Right now my commute to work is about 3km, so I ride everyday. Mostly I wear my every day clothing, but sometimes I want to ride after work, so I wear my kit. I have some clothing at work, so I wear that when I ride in with my kit. When I don't ride in, I just walk. Cool

2012-09-21 2:37 PM
in reply to: #4420447

jeng - 2012-09-20 12:26 PM

Hey that sounds good. Downhill to work is definitely better. That way you don't get too sweaty. That's what I think anyway.

Whenever I carry a laptop in my backpack, not only does it kill my back, but I seem to find that it is harder on my girly parts too, so do get the panniers.

2 Things.  I still sweat like a horse, but with the cooler morning temps, I shower at the work gym and I'm good. 

The other is that I didn't notice it hurting my "girly parts" but I don't really have those... But I definitely think I need to invest in some cycling shorts (vice tri shorts) and jerseys (I have three).  But then again, if I have paniners, I guess I don't really have to wear jerseys as much as I won't need to hold stuff in shirt pockets.  

If I can re-learn how to attach things, I'll post the Strava profile of my ride-in and ride home on here. 

(Commute to Work.jpg)

(Commute home.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Commute to Work.jpg (67KB - 10 downloads)
Commute home.jpg (64KB - 9 downloads)
2012-09-22 7:59 PM

Edited by Bopper 2012-09-22 8:03 PM
2012-09-26 7:22 PM

Lane splitting, like at lights and stop signs. What's the take on that?

In one case, on an off ramp where I have a left turn and the right lane is a straight and a left turn. I think it's safer to get to the front and turn left than to ride in traffic with no idea whether the guy behind me wants me to go right so he can make the left or wants me to go left so he can go straight.

I looked up the law and it seems to be against it if it's unsafe.

2012-09-27 6:30 AM
in reply to: #4429356

Champion
GomesBolt - 2012-09-26 9:22 PM

Lane splitting, like at lights and stop signs. What's the take on that?

I will always take the turn lane (assuming that it is safe to do so). I will stay to the right of the turn lane but will be in the lane that is going the direction that I want to go.

In the event that the lane is split (i.e. right and straight in the same lane and I'm going straight) I will either take the straight through only lane if available or I will ensure that I will signal I am going straight several times as I approach and go through the intersection.

Shane
2012-10-02 5:59 PM

Master
brummie land

Fellow commuters, hello! Quick thought about backpacks for carrying laptops. I sometimes use a pannier but mainly use a backpack as it is more secure? If my pannier bag fell off (silly rough roads by mine and problems with attachments before) your laptop would be knackered. Not so if it is in your rucksack! On a practical level, maybe loosen the straps somewhat as having the weight lower down tends to hurt less I have found.

Can I also ask you guys/gals what light sets you are running? I currently have a cateye hl-el135 On the front handlebars on blinking, a cateye sl-ld110 loop safety front light On my jacket zip blinking and am about to buy a kong frog strobe led for my helmet. Would you recommend I put my handlebar one on constant? Or another? And do think that is enough? And do you agree that helmet lights can blind/annoy drivers?

On the rear I have the red cateye loop on my helmet (blinking) and a crappy but kindly free (my rear light fell out of its bracket on said crap bumpy road and my lbs gave me a freebie) blinking Smart 3 led rear which I keep in my hump bag cover pocket. With my birthday money I am thinking of treating myself to the cateye 10 (ten) led Rear which with extra zip tags I'll remount on my pannier rack. It even has side facing LEDs...how excited am I?!?!

I always wear my reflective yellow jacket and use my hump bag cover. Overshoes and tights also have reflective bits on. Oh and I have cateye Wheel lights.

Paranoid...moi? On an honest note I got knocked off about a year ago by some idiot in broad daylight who didn't see me so I am ultra wary and my commute is on a busy double laned commuter route. I don't trust them!!!!! Any comments?

Edited by sappho96 2012-10-02 6:03 PM
2012-10-02 6:08 PM

Master
brummie land
Pictures or maybe just links...http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-hl-el135-led-white-front-light/http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-sl110-loop-front-and-rear-light-set/http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-tl-ld1100-led-rear-light/http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-tl-ld1100-led-rear-light/And the hump...http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-tl-ld1100-led-rear-light/

Edited by sappho96 2012-10-02 6:17 PM
2012-10-03 10:17 AM

I wear the headlamp because 1) I can shine a beam where I'm looking whether that's at my computer or at a car to make sure the driver sees me, and 2) I find the light from a good Energizer headlamp to be brighter than a headlamp mounted on my handlebars.

I don't think either light is anywhere near as bright as headlights on a car so I'm not too worried about blinding drivers with it. I'd rather be noticed for being a jerk with a headlamp than get crushed by a car for being unnoticed.
2012-10-03 12:37 PM

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I have a MiNewt though I think the names have changed, because I think it is this one. http://www.niterider.com/lumina-350/ It's pretty bright. I don't have a great light on the rear, just a cheaper flashing light, but it works.

My commute to and from work is about 3km each way mostly on bike paths and downtown so it's pretty well lit. 

When I do commute further at night, to and from the velodrome for example, I often commute with a group of people, so I think that makes riding at night a little safer.

2012-10-10 8:56 AM
in reply to: #4439018

Woke up this morning hearing rain trickling down the drain outside.  "Oh Crap."

All I have is my Tri Bike and my truck is at the office.  This is gonna suck. 

17.5 miles of water and road grime spraying in my face, the lines were especially slippery. 

Then I'm going down a hill, riding my brakes the whole time and a cab that does not have his turn-signal on is going lower than the 25 mph speed limit.  I pass him in my bike lane going 25-26.7 depending on which second I was looking at my garmin. 

He honks at me, gets behind me and rides right on my tail around a turn (again, back-wheel slipping), then he passes me and rolls down the window to say something to which I give my usual retort to stuff like that "Yeah, F you too."

Then he waits for me at the next stop sign where I slow until I hear my garmin beep that my speed is below 3mph.  I start pedaling again and catch up with him at a light and his window is open (again raining, so he's clearly trying to be an ). 

I say "Do you have a problem with me?"  I should've just ridden on.  But had to debate the toothless cabbie about whether I have the right to pass him in a bike lane or not... What did I hope to gain from that?  He went one way at the next turn, I went another.

Ridiculous.  Learning lesson for me.  When a car beeps and then rolls down the window, just wave and keep pedaling.

2013-01-27 4:13 PM

Regular
Wichita, KS

I agree with the comments about being obnoxiously seen. The drivers here in Wichita are downright mean and stupid regarding bikes. Puts lights on the front and back of the frame as well as your helmet. Take the middle of the lane unless you want to invite that mini-van or delivery truck to try to pass you in the same lane. Make all your movements obvious. I don't have a mirror but after reading this thread I'm getting one.

Don't bother with interacting with vehicles that want to yell at you. They have the advantage and could "accidently" hit your with little recourse on their end and huge consequences on yours.

I love to commute but don't like it in the rain. 

2013-01-28 2:31 AM

Harare

A shout out to all the bike commuters, and a quick question... how do you factor your commutes into your training? I commute about 11 kms each way, 2 x 3 times a week (whenever I don't have to take my son to preschool). I ride my mountain bike because the roads are a disaster as far as mud and potholes, so I need something a bit more rugged. I'm following the BT 20 week beginner HIM plan, and substituting my commutes for most of the easy shorter rides, but I worry about the loss of specific training, since it's a different bike, lots of traffic stops, and an 8 hour break between rides. Any thoughts? (and apologies for hijacking the OP

2013-01-28 6:15 AM

Expert
Falls Church

I am a year-round bike commuter.  18 miles round-trip.  Slightly downhill on the way in and slightly uphill on the way back.  More often than not a headwind on the way home too.  Roads and paved bike trails.

I ride a 1994 Trek 1200 road-bike.  Just regular road tires.  Only two flats in 4 years.  Knock on wood.  Last year got in about 2,750 miles bike commuting.

I made my panniers out of plastic buckets that held sunflower seeds for birds.  I love them.  They are sturdy.  Hold lots of stuff.  Were cheap to make ($14 for the two of them).  Are waterproof.  

I do count all my commute towards training.  Sometimes I bike hard.  Sometimes not.  Any ride home with the slight uphill and headwinds is definitely a hard ride.

During winter months, I use a good lighting system and wear reflective vest.

Good luck!  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Commuting questions Rss Feed  

of 2