General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Commuting questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-02-02 6:12 PM
in reply to: #4375907

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Subject: RE: Commuting questions
Ha! Melanie, you have the same commute as me 17.5 miles. Mostly downhill going in, mostly uphill coming home.

To answer Dan's question, I would say that my experience is that time in the saddle is time in the saddle. I got on my Tri bike after about 6 weeks of not touching it and made my commute (in 30something degree temps) in record time.

I think the intensity with which you ride your MTB would have an impact, and maybe whether you wear clip less pedals or toe clips. Maybe riding position a bit. But my aero position was better after more riding on a different bike than less riding all on my Tri bike.

Hope this helps. Happy commuting!!

2013-02-07 9:18 AM
in reply to: #4597289

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-02-07 9:30 AM
in reply to: #4375907

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-02-07 8:59 PM
in reply to: #4612632

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Subject: RE: Commuting questions
Bopper - 2013-02-07 9:30 AM

I dropped my old front light and cracked the housing, which basically ruined the light, so I had to buy a new one. I found this one at an outdoor store... it's THE most amazing light I've ever seen.

Light & Motion Urban 550

LithiumIon battery, rechargeable via USB... so plug into computer at work and you're good for the ride home. Charge time... 18hours on flash, 6.5 hours on low, 3 hours on medium, and 1.5 hours on high. The unit also keeps it's brightness throughout it's charge (which means it's same intensity until it turns off).

The Hi-beam is incredibly bright and you see the ENTIRE road for a good 100yds in front of you. I noticed an immediate change in the attitudes of drivers when riding with this. EVERY driver lowered their headlights when approaching me, unlike the old light where some of the folks didn't... I assumed they were dumb, but maybe they couldn't see the lights. Now, there is no missing my presence. The medium setting is bright enough for most nights, and riding in town (with street lights present) having it on flash is perfect.

The casing of this unit is also amazing, it's not some cheap plastic, but I think is milled aluminum. It's not waterproof (water resistant only), but with a little care this light should last decades.

Safe commuting!

Thanks for the tip Bopper.

I definitely need a new beam. I'm gonna look for this at REI tomorrow.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Commuting questions Rss Feed  

of 2