General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flo 60's vs Planet X 60mm Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-27 8:51 AM

User image

Subject: Flo 60's vs Planet X 60mm
I'm looking for an economical first set of race wheels for my QR and have (so far) narrowed it down to these two. I like the 60 depth and the fact that they're both clinchers... the PX are a couple hundred bucks cheaper but the Flo's are prettier. Any input on either set of wheels? If it matters I'm a 130lb girl and average around 19.5-20mph right now. They'd be used for mostly sprint distances but I'm eyeing an Olympic and possible HIM next year. Most of our courses are rolling hills.

2012-08-27 1:44 PM
in reply to: #4381843

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Flo 60's vs Planet X 60mm

I've got the PX 52s, which I would venture are nearly identical in performance to the 60s. I think they're a darn fine wheel, and I posted a review earlier this year to that effect. 

the FLOs will buy you cutting edge technology with the toroidal fairing shape, which may afford you a second or two over a 40K distance over the PXs, which have a more conical fairing. At a hundred bucks per second, I think the choice is pretty clear, but YMMV. 

You can also get the PXs shipped to you quickly, which I don't know that you can say (yet) about the FLOs, as they are still getting off the ground and through their initial batches I believe. 

As far as looks go, I won't pretend it doesn't matter, but if that's truly more important, the PXs fall well short of the FLOs, I agree. That being said, anyone that has commented on my wheels has usually done so admiringly, wishing they hadn't spent double or more on theirs simply to get a nice set of decals. That only seems to happen in transition areas though, as people tend to have trouble looking at my wheels when I blow by them on the ride. My only regret in the purchase is that they don't make a whooshing sound like 808s seem to. I may purchase a wheel cover for the rear this winter to make up for my glaring lack of sonic intimidation, and maybe - just maybe - pick up a full second over 40K with it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flo 60's vs Planet X 60mm Rss Feed