General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 51 year old knee problem questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-29 10:26 AM

Subject: 51 year old knee problem questions

I am a 51 year old male, who has run consistently for 33 years.  In the Marine Corps, I maxed all my PFT's for 14 years running sub 18 min 3 miles.  However, I badly injured my right leg in an accident in 1988, which altered my stride.  From there on, I started having knee problems.  My right knee felt weak and would be continually sore.  In 1998, I went to a sports medicine doctor who performed ortho surgery.  At that time, he rated my knee wear a 3 out of 4 (4 being the worst).  However, he encouraged me to keep running.  In April 2011, I ruptured my plantar fasciitis, which kept me out of running for a year.  During that time, I started doing more full body workouts, but noticed that I was really limited by my left knee.  For example, I can only do about a quarter squat before feeling pain.  When I go down stairs I unconsciously avoid putting weight on my right leg.  So I went back to my sports medicine doctor who did an MRI.  He stated that my knee now is a 4 out of 4.  His advice concerning working out was do not do anything that causes pain (i.e. deep squats).  Since I could not run anyway because the PF, I bought a roadbike in Feb 2012.  I started having a blast roadbiking.  I live right outside the Smokies so there is plenty of climbing, which did not seem to affect my knee.  In March, I started back running one time a week.  Through out the Spring and Summer, I primarily roadbiked.  The last triathlon that I did was in the summer of 1985, but for some reason I wanted to try one this year.  So I signed up for an Olympic Distance Triathlon for 24 Aug.  I continued to run only 1 time a week.  I was shooting for a sub-50 minute run in the 10K and was delighted to run a 42:34. I felt no pain on the run and no abnormal soreness the day after.  Now I have got the bug to train harder and get my time down.  

This is my dilemma.  

Question 1:  Do I punt running and tris in order to preserve longevity in my knees?  Or is there a way that I can train and still participate in Tris?  I do believe that I need at least a day rest in between running.  

Question 2:  Is there anyway that I can workout to increase my leg strength?  I was not blessed with big, fast twitch muscles.  I was very pleased with my bike split of 1:03:00 for the 40K, but I would like to improve.  I have been doing some quarter squats and leg presses.  I stop before the range that I know will cause pain.  I cannot do many of the plyo exercises because of pain.

Sorry for being long winded.  I would appreciate any advice or links that you might have.  Thanks!!!

2012-08-30 8:52 AM
in reply to: #4386011

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: 51 year old knee problem questions

I'm 59 and have been dealing with both patella tendonitis and Achilles tendonosis for the last few years.  That plus the normal aches, pains and stiffness that comes with age along with the need for more recovery time.

The patella tendonosis I can pretty much manage by wearing a knee strap when running.

For my Achilles, I have found that I can run without problems if I do a Galloway run/walk and don't exceed a 3:1 ratio.

Per my doctor's suggestion I have also upped the amount of weight training I'm doing, both to offset muscle mass loss due to age and to help protect my joints.  That includes leg presses, leg extensions, leg curls, and calf exercises.  Mostly moderate weights with high reps.  I'm also doing a lot more core work than I've ever done before.

I also lost 20 pounds over the past year.  That has made a significant difference not only in my performance, but also in the pounding on my body from running.

I'm finding that as I age it creates new challenges when it comes to managing expectations and balancing workouts versus recovery time.  

I did my first triathlon at age 50.  Although I don't have the athletic ability I had at age 20 or 30, I think that I can still continue to improve my performance for the forseeable future.   

Good luck to you.

Mark

2012-08-30 10:02 PM
in reply to: #4387811

Subject: RE: 51 year old knee problem questions
Thanks Mark.  Concur on the loosing weight.  I am trying to loose 10 more pounds to make it easier, but....I like to eat.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 51 year old knee problem questions Rss Feed