General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclocross Skills discussion Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-30 11:32 PM

User image

over a barrier
Subject: Cyclocross Skills discussion
Hey why not, its dead around here anyway. If you got questions or need answers on skills or gear fire away..

Curious anyone getting their remounts down in three steps? Two nights ago at practice, I swore up and down I was doing it. So tonight, had a teammate turn on the camera....and boom 5 freaking steps. Any tips on elimating the last two steps? I think I going to try and suitcase more instead of the side flip cause I don't center the bike as well when putting it down and that might be causing the delay. That is all I can think of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBHe354ZjWI&list=UUq-EWOW6g-S96KRb4S...

2012-08-31 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4389232

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-08-31 3:51 PM

Subject: RE: Cyclocross Skills discussion

For those that race cyclocross...can you recommend a good baseline of gear that would be needed to race.  I don't need the top stuff...but decent.

In comparison to road racing, I would say something like a CAAD10 with 105/Rival, 105 pedals, decent carbon soled shoes, and GP4000S tires.  You could get away with far less, but still good race quality all around.

So...what frames provide the best value?  I'm assuming 105/Rival is plenty for CX.  What style of pedals do you guys prefer?  Are there CX specific shoes, or are standard MTB shoes fine?  As someone experienced in road racing, what are the biggest differences I need to look for when shopping for CX gear?

2012-09-01 8:24 AM
in reply to: #4390434

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
tri808 - 2012-08-31 5:51 PM

So...what frames provide the best value?  I'm assuming 105/Rival is plenty for CX.  What style of pedals do you guys prefer?  Are there CX specific shoes, or are standard MTB shoes fine?  As someone experienced in road racing, what are the biggest differences I need to look for when shopping for CX gear?

I started last year with a Jake the Snake (105), mountain bike shoes and SPD pedals. I haven't raced in really muddy conditions but I know some guys prefer egg beaters in mud but the SPD's worked great for me last year. Beyond that, I had an old TT skinsuit that I used and it worked well but since it is unlikely we will have weather as nice this year, I invested in a cyclocross skinsuit for this season.

Shane
2012-09-01 2:59 PM
in reply to: #4390434

Master
Tosa, WI
tri808 - 2012-08-31 3:51 PM

For those that race cyclocross...can you recommend a good baseline of gear that would be needed to race.  I don't need the top stuff...but decent.

In comparison to road racing, I would say something like a CAAD10 with 105/Rival, 105 pedals, decent carbon soled shoes, and GP4000S tires.  You could get away with far less, but still good race quality all around.

The biggest difference is that less is usually more in CX.  When you start racing CX you will break things....  I went through 1 derailleur last year, plus several spokes in a wheel set, and 1 derailleur this year already.  I am sure that everybody that raced a full CX season last year broke something.  It is nice to be able to purchase a rival and hanger for $100 bucks versus SRAM Red or Dura-Ace.  Wheels and tires are something you will really start to pay attention to after a few races.  Tubulars, so you can run low pressures, will be where you end up spending your money.  

Decent pair of MTB shoes and whatever pedals work for you.  I have always prefered Ritcheys?   

2012-09-02 8:34 AM

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

running2far - 2012-08-31 12:32 AM Hey why not, its dead around here anyway. If you got questions or need answers on skills or gear fire away.. Curious anyone getting their remounts down in three steps? Two nights ago at practice, I swore up and down I was doing it. So tonight, had a teammate turn on the camera....and boom 5 freaking steps. Any tips on elimating the last two steps? I think I going to try and suitcase more instead of the side flip cause I don't center the bike as well when putting it down and that might be causing the delay. That is all I can think of... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBHe354ZjWI&list=UUq-EWOW6g-S96KRb4SIkfFQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Looks good to me.  I still have that stupid stutter step before remount.  I just need to do some focused barrier training.

What cassette is everyone running, Right now I have a 12-25, just something I had lying around.  I really could just use a 14-28 if there were such a thing.  Not going to use the 12 or 13 ever in a race, I barely ever even use the big ring other than the sprint start.

Also,  what brake pads are you guys using.  I'm thinking about putting on the swisstop green's but they're so expensive comparted to the koolstop salmon's.

2012-09-02 1:05 PM

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
To the actual question of the thread; I don't see that cutting steps would be much faster if at all. It seems as though you are fast and smooth off the bike, quickly over the barrier and then back up to speed and on the bike very efficently.

I would try the earlier suggestion of trying to time both methods and see if there is a difference between the two.

Shane
2012-09-02 9:22 PM
in reply to: #4392124

over a barrier
Went to Ohio this weekend and ran into this dude. Wanted to check out my tire pressure

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Good time at the Powers cross clinic.

I'm using 12-25 and 36 little chain ring.

It really only takes 20-30 mins to get rid of the stutter step. You need to start of the very beginning and start at a walking pace. You swing your leg off, take two walking steps and step back onto the bike. If you can't do this, your saddle is too high. Repeat for 10-15 mins of just walking back on the bike, then progressing get a tish faster where your goal is too just hop onto your inner thigh and stay there. Looks like a praying mantis from behind. You want to get comfortable with your landing spot, I think we all know what happens in you miss the landing spot. Lastly, when you get too fast that walking doesn't work you just need to hop and land while sliding back on the saddle and hitting your pedal. When I was stuttering steping, I was trying to mount too far behind my bike, I was plantingmy foot behind my crank. I now take off just behind the front wheel. You won't be able to stutter step if you start that far forward, all my weight is forward over my stem. It worth 2-3 secs very time you mount your bike...which is huge over the course of a full race.

Powers just released a download DVD and Adam Myserson has a low budget dvd that covers over the remount.

Edited by running2far 2012-09-02 9:25 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclocross Skills discussion Rss Feed