General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Military Friendly Race Companies for HIM/IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-31 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
Subject: Military Friendly Race Companies for HIM/IM
I am looking at my 2013 season and want to do a HIM and maybe a IM, they do not have to be brand specific. I am wondering if anyone has had experience with any IM, Rev3, or HITS and having to miss a race due to military training.

I am changing duty locations in May and looking at Sept to Nov for my IM/HIM. I not 100% sure what my training will look like at my new unit around then since it will be going to Afghanistan in Dec. I want to register for HIM Augusta and maybe IMFL but do not want to just give the money away if I have to be out training.

I am going to be contacting the companies to see what they say. I know most have a no refund policy, but hoping for an exception, maybe. If anyone has any similar experience I would appreciate the knowledge.

Thank you,
Jonathan

2012-08-31 10:57 AM
in reply to: #4389722

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-08-31 11:03 AM

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Subject: RE: Military Friendly Race Companies for HIM/IM

I'd be sure to get in touch with HITS. They're the only one's I've seen with a military specific registration price. They don't seem to have big turnouts for there full distance races but I'll be at the HIM in Ocala in March

Thanks for your service

2012-08-31 11:23 AM

Boulder City, NV

I've found that although the race staff thinks of military in terms of a military discount, they don't necessarily think about the logistics operational status, and the fact that a deployment can happen -- and that certainly won't be found in the release and terms information.

While you'll often find something regarding transferrability, there won't be something like the military clause you can get in a lease releasing you in case of military orders.

My best advice would be look at the races you're planning toward, and get in touch with the race director to explain your situation.  You'll probably get a "Wow, we hadn't thought about that!", and set something in motion that will help others after you!

2012-08-31 11:42 AM

Master
, California

I'd also add that there are races which are put on by, or supported by the military.  We have a tri out here in Washington on Fort Lewis.  I'm sure there are others -- the Marine Corps Marathon being the best known, of course.

2012-08-31 12:10 PM

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Look at SetUp events, they put on some HIM and 2 IMs. They are a military friendly company. I am a veteran, but also a spouse of an active duty soldier who is deploying in about 30 days or so,and they are working with me since I am registered for Augusta 70.3 but might not get to do it since my husband might be leaving that weekend. The race director of B2B half gave me a charity slot to the race because of my situation

2012-08-31 12:55 PM

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
If I remember correctly, there was a BT-er who had to attend the funeral of a soldier under her command, and the dae of the funeral fell on the same weekend as the IM she had entered. She, or someone on her behalf contacted the WTC or the race director and they immediately offered her a deferral. And, I think, they even offered to let her race in an upcoming IM race later that season.

My sense is that most RD's would be sympathetic to your situation and would do as much as they realistically could to accommodate you. Refunds are probably out of the question, because as most RD's will tell you, the money is already spent on permits, police OT, food, marketing, etc, by the time the race rolls around, but I think most would give you a deferral, even at the last minute.
2012-08-31 7:03 PM

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina
I use Active.com to register for my races and they are usually pretty good at putting you in touch of the events organizers in any case you cant attend.  Nien times out of ten they will get you a refund however the closer to the race date you are the slimmer the chance for a full refund, maybe just  a certain percentage.
2012-08-31 9:02 PM

Extreme Veteran

Leadman Bend is free for military--not sure if other races they put on are, but you can sign up and if you don't make it you're not out anything.

2012-08-31 9:03 PM

Master
Royersford, PA
Rev3 teamed up with Team RWB and I am pretty certain that Rev3 would either refund your $ or credit you for another race as long as you give them some notice. Rev3 South Carolina (October), Rev3 Williamsburg (VA) (June), Rev3 Florida (Late Oct) and Half Full (MD)(October) are all good HIMs which may work for you and a fairly close. Plus you don't have to sign up a year in advance so you might have a better idea were your training will fall so you can actually do the race.
2012-08-31 9:45 PM

I'm stationed at Fort Gordon and registered for HIM Augusta 2011 in December '10. In May I found out I was pregnant and sent an email to see about a possible partial refund or deferment. They were awesome and refunded me the majority of my registration fee, I received the refund within a couple days.

2012-09-01 9:09 AM

Veteran
Alexandria, Virginia

I did the Nation's Tri back in 2009.  I was scheduled to transfer from the DC area to Michigan in 2010 and I was getting those email reminders to register for the 2010 event.  I replied to the email that I was being transferred and that I was likely not going to be in the area during the race.  The race director said that if I registered and got transferred, he would personally see that I got a complete refund.  I thought that was pretty generous.

-Nick

2012-09-01 10:58 AM

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I have found that even WTC can be nice about military training.  I had a friend who was deployed and didn't get to sign up for IMFL (the internet over there isn't the greatest).  When he got back he e-mailed them and explained why he hadn't signed up and they let him sign up for the race.  And they let TXMPGal switch between IMFL and IMAZ when she had to go to a funeral for one of her troops.  So my experience has been that for major things like deployments even WTC has been nice about it.

I've only ever lost two entry fees to RDs who refused to refund my entry fees for military reasons.  Neither of those races was WTC at the time (but are now!).

Escape from Alcatraz even deferred me from this year to next year for military training reasons.  They just asked for a letter from my commander indicating that I would be in training and unable to take leave.

Bottom line, there are no guarantees.  And part of being in the military (to me) is accepting that sometimes you may have to eat an entry fee.  If I was an RD and a person had a military reason for being unable to race I would refund their money no questions asked.  But, I've also had to come to accept that every now and then I will lose an entry fee.  I try to minimize the effects by signing up later for races, but I realize that not all races make that possible (i.e. IM).

I have found that when I'm PCS'ing it's hard to commit to races that year.  At least once you're AT a duty location you can ask permission before signing up, but if you don't know who your boss will be it's hard!  I may have this problem for Kona.  I'm signed up because I signed up before I knew who my boss would be and now there is a big exercise that week on base!  I already have all my money sunk into the race so I am really hoping they don't try to pull the rug out from under me when I finally figure out who my boss is next week!

2012-09-01 12:19 PM

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
Thank you for the information. I think I have found my big races for next year that are "smaller" that I should be able to register for later in the year. I am looking at NashVegas for my HIM, and B2B for my IM. I have emailed the companies to see if I can register early and work around any training issues that may come up.

I am not sure who my boss will be, but I have to have the "deadline" of a race to keep me motivated and focused. If I lose the registration fee guess it is the price I pay for my hobby.

Jonathan
2012-09-01 7:57 PM

Elite
N Carolina

+1 for Set Up Events (Beach to Battleship HIM/IM).

Also, WTC (Ironman) can work with you if you give them notice.  A member of my tri club got a deferral from IM Canada 2011 to IM Cananda 2012 because of a deployment.

2012-09-01 8:06 PM
in reply to: #4391160

jldicarlo - 2012-09-01 10:58 AM

I have found that even WTC can be nice about military training.  I had a friend who was deployed and didn't get to sign up for IMFL (the internet over there isn't the greatest).  When he got back he e-mailed them and explained why he hadn't signed up and they let him sign up for the race.  And they let TXMPGal switch between IMFL and IMAZ when she had to go to a funeral for one of her troops.  So my experience has been that for major things like deployments even WTC has been nice about it.

I've only ever lost two entry fees to RDs who refused to refund my entry fees for military reasons.  Neither of those races was WTC at the time (but are now!).

Escape from Alcatraz even deferred me from this year to next year for military training reasons.  They just asked for a letter from my commander indicating that I would be in training and unable to take leave.

Bottom line, there are no guarantees.  And part of being in the military (to me) is accepting that sometimes you may have to eat an entry fee.  If I was an RD and a person had a military reason for being unable to race I would refund their money no questions asked.  But, I've also had to come to accept that every now and then I will lose an entry fee.  I try to minimize the effects by signing up later for races, but I realize that not all races make that possible (i.e. IM).

I have found that when I'm PCS'ing it's hard to commit to races that year.  At least once you're AT a duty location you can ask permission before signing up, but if you don't know who your boss will be it's hard!  I may have this problem for Kona.  I'm signed up because I signed up before I knew who my boss would be and now there is a big exercise that week on base!  I already have all my money sunk into the race so I am really hoping they don't try to pull the rug out from under me when I finally figure out who my boss is next week!

I too feel your pain when it comes to being in the military (I'm a USAF Chaplain) and trying to get a race schedule together...I hope your new boss is reasonable...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Military Friendly Race Companies for HIM/IM Rss Feed