General Discussion Triathlon Talk » to taper or not? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-05 5:54 PM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Subject: to taper or not?
Ok....so I have decided to do back to back marathons next weekend....when i was training for my first 50 miler which was just in April i signed up for lots of marathons for training due to the fact it would be easier to get nutrition and such....after I finished so many this year and qualified for the 50 States Club I decided cool....lets do that too.  In the meantime I also decided to do the JFK50 in November....so Im kinda back on track following the 50 miler plan again but have thrown in some back to back marys this month then a 50K at the end of the month (this was gonna be a 100K but it takes me 5hour for just one 16.05 loop of that monster course!!! if you want a challenge that one is for you! 5200 feet of climbing each loop and there is a 100 mile option as well-Not Yo Momma's 100) sorry....back on track :-) I have the first set of back to back marys the 15th and 16th of this month....15th is Northface Wisconsin so its on a trail 16th is road with 6 hour time limit...I think even the day after a mary I should be fine with that cut off? On my schedule the current weekend is a fall back weekend ...what do you all think I should be doing this week and next or should I change anything?? I am also doing the same next month with back to back mary's Oct 20th and 21st then Stone Steps 50K the 28th 3 weeks later the JFK50. Thanks for any input

2012-09-05 7:31 PM
in reply to: #4397353

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: to taper or not?
I don't think it matters too much what you do this weekend as what you do next week. You have solid but not crazy mileage so I am guessing your long runs are solid but not crazy. I mean a standard marathon program has an easy 18-21 k the weekend before right, so that is a good policy to be well rested for the race weekend.

I don't know. I mean you do what you can right. So I would do whatever this weekend, even 30k right, then do an easy 40-60 minutes next week, maybe taking a couple days off, maybe not, doesn't matter. Hammer the races, at least the second one. Then re-evaluate. I can't see any solid training happening between the 16th and the 50k but maybe you can pull something out. And then you are only 3 weeks to your second double mary, which really, are you going to train much leading up to that? And then three weeks until the JFK50?

I really think your training, which looks solid, is in the bank and you should just enjoy the ride for the next 2 months.

I guess I mean to say, after the double mary next weekend I don't think you will be doing much for the next couple of months training wise, I may be wrong, if I am then fine, but if I am not then don't stress out too much about it.

I only say this because I have been crashing hard since my 50 miler followed 7 days later by a mountain marathon, even though I felt reasonably good between the 50 miler and the marathon.

Sounds fun though.
2012-09-05 7:58 PM
in reply to: #4397473

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah

BigDH - 2012-09-05 8:31 PM I don't think it matters too much what you do this weekend as what you do next week. You have solid but not crazy mileage so I am guessing your long runs are solid but not crazy. I mean a standard marathon program has an easy 18-21 k the weekend before right, so that is a good policy to be well rested for the race weekend. I don't know. I mean you do what you can right. So I would do whatever this weekend, even 30k right, then do an easy 40-60 minutes next week, maybe taking a couple days off, maybe not, doesn't matter. Hammer the races, at least the second one. Then re-evaluate. I can't see any solid training happening between the 16th and the 50k but maybe you can pull something out. And then you are only 3 weeks to your second double mary, which really, are you going to train much leading up to that? And then three weeks until the JFK50? I really think your training, which looks solid, is in the bank and you should just enjoy the ride for the next 2 months. I guess I mean to say, after the double mary next weekend I don't think you will be doing much for the next couple of months training wise, I may be wrong, if I am then fine, but if I am not then don't stress out too much about it. I only say this because I have been crashing hard since my 50 miler followed 7 days later by a mountain marathon, even though I felt reasonably good between the 50 miler and the marathon. Sounds fun though.

I know....the 50 miler I did in April in Nevada was my first and it was a road 50 miler.....record temps too which kinda sucked cause im a sweating machine...my body was dry but caked in salt...really cool too :-)  I felt fantastic afterwards and have felt good ever since....my mileage dropped off a couple months after but Ive done around 3 or 4 marathons since and have had some solid 18 milers. The closest back to back marathons were one week apart both hilly and were like 6 and 7 weeks after the 50 miler I believe....the 2nd one did hurt and it was prolly the first time I ever really hated being out there...the first half of it was great but it was so humid and sticky the last half was brutal...didnt like that feeling at all and dont want myself to feel that way again....usually I can take my head somewhere pleasant and snap out of it.....I blame it for being in Michigan hahaha GO BUCKS!! I've never gone into a race with any expectations of time or anything I just go out there to have a good time. Now if I get into Umstead 100 at noon this Saturday my training plan will change a little and I will need some help and advise big time for that... but I will still do the marathons and the 2 50k's and JFK50 for sure too. I have printed and researched a couple 100 miler plans in case case :-)  Thanks!!

2012-09-05 8:28 PM
in reply to: #4397503

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Jungle Jenn - 2012-09-05 8:58 PM

BigDH - 2012-09-05 8:31 PM I don't think it matters too much what you do this weekend as what you do next week. You have solid but not crazy mileage so I am guessing your long runs are solid but not crazy. I mean a standard marathon program has an easy 18-21 k the weekend before right, so that is a good policy to be well rested for the race weekend. I don't know. I mean you do what you can right. So I would do whatever this weekend, even 30k right, then do an easy 40-60 minutes next week, maybe taking a couple days off, maybe not, doesn't matter. Hammer the races, at least the second one. Then re-evaluate. I can't see any solid training happening between the 16th and the 50k but maybe you can pull something out. And then you are only 3 weeks to your second double mary, which really, are you going to train much leading up to that? And then three weeks until the JFK50? I really think your training, which looks solid, is in the bank and you should just enjoy the ride for the next 2 months. I guess I mean to say, after the double mary next weekend I don't think you will be doing much for the next couple of months training wise, I may be wrong, if I am then fine, but if I am not then don't stress out too much about it. I only say this because I have been crashing hard since my 50 miler followed 7 days later by a mountain marathon, even though I felt reasonably good between the 50 miler and the marathon. Sounds fun though.

I know....the 50 miler I did in April in Nevada was my first and it was a road 50 miler.....record temps too which kinda sucked cause im a sweating machine...my body was dry but caked in salt...really cool too :-)  I felt fantastic afterwards and have felt good ever since....this is kinda bad though cause my mind will tell itself thats its ok not to follow plan like I did before but I know I only felt so good because I stayed on my plan to the tee with very very few exceptions of a virus here and there so my mileage dropped off a couple months after but Ive done around 3 or 4 marathons since and have had some solid 18 milers. The closest back to back marathons were one week apart both hilly and were like 6 and 7 weeks after the 50 miler I believe....the 2nd one did hurt and it was prolly the first time I ever really hated being out there...the first half of it was great but it was so humid and sticky the last half was brutal...didnt like that feeling at all and dont want myself to feel that way again....usually I can take my head somewhere pleasant and snap out of it.....I blame it for being in Michigan hahaha GO BUCKS!! I've never gone into a race with any expectations of time or anything I just go out there to have a good time. Now if I get into Umstead 100 at noon this Saturday my training plan will change a little and I will need some help and advise big time for that... but I will still do the marathons and the 2 50k's and JFK50 for sure too. I have printed and researched a couple 100 miler plans in case case :-)  Thanks!!

2012-09-06 9:50 AM
in reply to: #4397353

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

have you thought about the terrain you will be running on?  is the road mary a hilly course? might be wise to just do some easy flat miles during the week prior, nothing to hard or strenuous at all, just nice and easy.....

2012-09-06 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4398111

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
djdavey - 2012-09-06 10:50 AM

have you thought about the terrain you will be running on?  is the road mary a hilly course? might be wise to just do some easy flat miles during the week prior, nothing to hard or strenuous at all, just nice and easy.....

You know Dave you would think I woulda learned a lesson with checking out courses before signing up when I did that Hatfield McCoy and Ann Arbor a week apart even though I train on hills they killed me....or the heat....or again the Michigan thing haha. I know Saturday is a trail and its the Northface Challenge at Kettle Morraine Park doesnt look super hilly compared to some of the stuff here in Southern Ohio....from what I can tell Fox Valley is pretty much flat...so this could be good thing. I know I'll have a personal course record on both course!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » to taper or not? Rss Feed