General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blood in the urine after running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-10 12:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Subject: Blood in the urine after running

Hi

Last week I went to the doctor with blood in the urine after running, no bacterias, only blood and protein. 

I've tried that thrice before, first time nothing happened, second time I was treated, I suspect insufficiently, with penicillin 6 days, a month later it got back and worse eventually I was hospitalised three days with a kidney infection.

Lots of tests and analysis didn't come up with any cause, only a theory of chafing somewhere in the bladder or ureter.

All I was told was to be well hydrated before the run. 

Anyone had this kind of problem? 

2012-09-10 2:23 PM
in reply to: #4403779

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-09-10 2:25 PM

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Blood in the urine after running
I've had it before and it's always been directly related to bad hydration on my part.  
2012-09-10 3:12 PM

Elite
Yes......I had it after long runs and after the first urination it cleared up and would never happen again....and to this day it happens periodically...I went through CT scans, blood, urine, cystoscopy(oh the joy!) and everything was negative except for a small kidney stone.....the theories explained to me were 1) possible dehydration 2) since the baldder was not full the walls would rub and release a little blood, 3) small blood from prostate but that was fine also.......just a little blood can cause your urine to look real scary.....so all in all as long as you have been checked its probably not a big deal and you can see it happens to others
2012-09-10 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4404135

Expert
McAllen

I thought I had blood in my feces once but it was just because I had two medium slices of red velvet cake. And there is a LOT of food coloring in that :/

scared the bajeezus out of me. My longest run to date is ~10mi and the worst problem I've had is orange urine, and since then I drain 4 bottles on the fuel belt and maybe a little more from a pit stop powerade I leave on the tailgate of my pickup if its an extra hot day outside.

2012-09-10 3:35 PM

New user

Differant story here, I've had it along with, shell we say, testicular discomfort of varrying degrees.  Only flared up after intense exercise.  Misdiagnosed the first time as a simple UTI, second time i went to a urologists and was diagnosed with prostatitis.  Been on a prostate med ever since (2 yrs).  Took a while to get it all under control, but many races later and i've been problem free.  I happy prostate is a happy man.

-Mike

2012-09-10 3:40 PM

Extreme Veteran

I had it once. A first small drop floating around in my urine.

I read online and they said it was 'common' after a very hard run which I had just done. It cleared up after 3 days, but every would have a small drop

When I told my Dr 6 months after he said if ever urine is there again, you come and see me right away. But my doc is very very cautious.

2012-09-10 5:22 PM
in reply to: #4404135

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune

FELTGood - 2012-09-10 10:12 PM Yes......I had it after long runs and after the first urination it cleared up and would never happen again....and to this day it happens periodically...I went through CT scans, blood, urine, cystoscopy(oh the joy!) and everything was negative except for a small kidney stone.....the theories explained to me were 1) possible dehydration 2) since the baldder was not full the walls would rub and release a little blood, 3) small blood from prostate but that was fine also.......just a little blood can cause your urine to look real scary.....so all in all as long as you have been checked its probably not a big deal and you can see it happens to others

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I ran in the morning, after the usual visit to the bathroom where the urine was very dark. Didn't drink but went straight out running. A short run, 1k run/walk to the park for warm up, 4k run, and 1k walk/run back.

I could feel I need to pee again while running, and when I got back I went straight to the bathroom, but even after I still felt like I had to go again. It was painful in a way that's hard to describe. After about an hour and a liter of water the pain disappeared. 

I go by theory 2) of yours, because it hasn't happened on the bike, and while I do drink some on the bike, I'm out 2-3 hours not the 30 min. I was running.

Hope this was nothing, but I'm thinking if this may become a problem on longer triathlons. 

2012-09-10 6:18 PM

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

If you don't drink enough during training, you WILL get a kidney stone.  You are headed in this direction.  Blood in your urine is a warning sign of something BAD happening to your body.  Fix it.  Drink more.

I had a kidney stone last summer!  Trust me, you don't understand pain until you have a kidney stone.

2012-09-12 8:10 PM
in reply to: #4404023

Champion

I've had several bouts of "exercise-induced hematuria" over the years......with "several " being maybe about ten.  At some point the episodes stopped being scary and simply became disconcerting, but none of mine have been accompanied by either pain or discomfort.

For a while they seemed to be the by-product of really intense sessions, such as brutal bricks on very hot days.  Then I suffered a small episode after a fairly benign ride.  I thought for a while that poor hydration was a contributor, but I've had a couple of episodes when the hydration has been quite good.  The short of it all is that there is no common factor to provide fail-safe direction for me.

Pain is never good, and neither is anything resembling clots of globules.  If it remains a steady bloody flow from beginning to end of each urination, that is considered a "positive" (relatively speaking, of course).  I have never had an episode is which I wondered if everything coming out was pure blood, but some epiosdes produce darker (i.e., more bloody) urine than others. 

An "episode" for me might be a day, might be two or three of them.  One time along about '08 I had all-too-frequent recurrences over a two- to three-month period, and that eventually lde me to a urologist who deemed me fit to continue running, with no suggestion that my demise is imminent.  Whew!

FWIW, I am turning 64 in January, and these started probably when I was 54.  I say that......I don't really know why, because I don't think age has much to do with it.  And I will also happily note that my last episode was over a year ago, halleloo! 

I hope this is just a minor inconvenience for you, a speed bump on the road to Endurance Nirvana.  But if you have pain while peeing, or sees clots and their ilk, get to a doctor asap.

Happy trails?Wink

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blood in the urine after running Rss Feed