General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS Safe at Summersville Lake, West Virginia? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-12 7:30 AM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Subject: OWS Safe at Summersville Lake, West Virginia?

I asked in the State forums, but the lack of response has me thinking that triathletes don't live in WV.

I'm headed to the New River Gorge in WV for some Rock Climbing, but need to keep training for IMAZ while I'm there 9 weeks to go!).  It's been a few years since I've been there...but I was thinking of doing an OWS at Summersville lake while my friends climb.  I know it's really a dammed river...Is it nuts to just head off across and down the lake and back to get in a couple miles?  Boat traffic? Weird, dangerous currents?  Mythical sea-monsters?  Sudden dam releases sucking me down the Gauley river?  As far as boat traffic..I swim with towing an orange bouy for visibility. 

2012-09-12 7:46 AM
in reply to: #4407098

User image

Veteran
Clearwater, FL
Subject: RE: OWS Safe at Summersville Lake, West Virginia?
I used to dive in man-made lakes in TN. You'd be amazed how many trees there are within a foot or so of the surface. Many of the submerged tree tops have more propeller scars than a manatee. I'd swim well clear of the shoreline.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS Safe at Summersville Lake, West Virginia? Rss Feed