General Discussion Triathlon Talk » treadmill recommendation? also, iFit Live? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-12 4:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: treadmill recommendation? also, iFit Live?

I'm in the market for a treadmill.  Absolute upper limit of the budget is $2400.  Honestly looking for it to be somewhere around $1600, but might could stretch to $2400.

I had a NordicTrack brand treadmill years ago.  Never really had any problems with it, but it was pretty standard and straightforward.  In doing my research now, it seems people are recommending away from NordicTrack (as well as Sole and Smooth) for various reasons.

I see that the new NordicTracks have a fancy Android screen that runs something called iFit Live with Google Maps.  Looks neat, but apparently it is a subscription service.  I have a couple of questions about this:

1)  what happens when the included free subscription ends and you don't care to resubscribe?
2)  does running routes in Google Maps require iFit Live?
3)  what happens if something major changes with Google Maps or it becomes unavailable for whatever reason?

My concern would be getting a treadmill with what now looks very awesome but in a couple of years looks very outdated.

So aside from my specific questions above about iFit Live, what are some good recommended treadmills for triathletes (read I will be doing interval and speed work) in the $1500-$2000 range with strong motors, sturdy designs, and good warranties?

2012-09-12 7:30 PM
in reply to: #4408327

User image

Regular
Maryland
Subject: RE: treadmill recommendation? also, iFit Live?

Why are folks recommending away from Sole?

I got a Sole F85 (at Sears!) last fall and I love it.  It was right in your price range.  It doesn't have iFit, but I can plug my iPod into it.  I usually watch a Runervals DVD or TV or listen to Pandora or use an interval App I've got on my iPod.  I'm not much for all the high tech stuff. Honestly I never even use the pre-programmed runs on the thing.  I always use "manual". But it's been a great machine - big deck.  I can honestly run on it (as much as I ever "run"), and it goes up and down as much as I need it.  Biggest knock against: it takes a long time for it to ramp up to speed from stop.  So going from 0 to 5 mph can take a frustratingly long time, but I've learned to adapt around it.

Edited by 7rider 2012-09-12 7:31 PM
2012-09-13 10:16 AM

I'm curious about the negative feedback you've seen on Sole as well.  I bought a Sole F80 in January 2011.  So far, so good.  My budget was around $1500 and found it on sale for $1200 I think.  I wanted something with a good size deck (length & width) as I'm 6'3".  It is sturdy and the motor seems strong enough for my size.  I typically just use manual mode as well.

I try to run outside as much as possible with treadmill reserved for bad weather days or convenience of a quick run without driving to greenway or larger neighborhoods to run through.  My wife and I have put a combined 600 miles on the treadmill so far.  If I was using it more heavily, I probably would have increased my budget but to get commercial grade, the cost was much higher.

2012-09-13 3:16 PM

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario

I have the NordicTrack Commercial 1750 with iFit.  If you don't renew the subscription you don't get the Google stuff.  I've had mine for almost a year now and no problems so far.

I like the iFit/Google thing because it adjust the inclined based on the course you have plotted in iFit.  So you can theoretically plot a race course you'll be doing and actually run it.  Plus the 1750 has up to 3% decline.

Edited by RVachon 2012-09-13 3:16 PM
2012-09-13 3:18 PM
in reply to: #4410085

User image

Extreme Veteran
RVachon - 2012-09-13 3:16 PM

I have the NordicTrack Commercial 1750 with iFit.  If you don't renew the subscription you don't get the Google stuff.  I've had mine for almost a year now and no problems so far.

I like the iFit/Google thing because it adjust the inclined based on the course you have plotted in iFit.  So you can theoretically plot a race course you'll be doing and actually run it.  Plus the 1750 has up to 3% decline.

What does the display look like if you don't subscribe to iFit?  Can you post a pic?

2012-09-13 3:46 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I have the Proform Trailrunner 2.0, which I got at Best Buy for $1400 or so.  If given the choice again, I would have gone with the 4.0 for $200 more to get the larger LCD screen and better Google functionality.

As for the treadmill itself...it works great and I'm 205 lbs.  We had a PF 590?? before and I though I was going to break the stupid thing every time I landed on it.

2012-09-14 2:12 PM
in reply to: #4410089

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
michael_runs - 2012-09-13 4:18 PM
RVachon - 2012-09-13 3:16 PM

What does the display look like if you don't subscribe to iFit?  Can you post a pic?

It has 3-4 different screens you can switch to that has a plan view of a 400m track, another I believe is in the speed/incline profile you've ran...can't remember the rest.  Here's a video I did of my workout cave, and also shows a quick review of the treadmill.

http://www.fatguysredemption.com/2012/01/09/the-workout-cave/

2013-02-19 6:33 AM

I know that this thread is a little old now, BUT, potential buyers need to be aware of problems with the iFIT system.   

From December 2012 through to Feb 2013, the iFIT system has been having MAJOR issues, making it fairly unusable (much to the frustration of the user base).  Before anybody purchases an iFIT system, I suggest that they google "iFIT problems" and see sites such as:

http://www.ifit-fail.com

Only then will they get to see the state of the system.  Otherwise, even thought they have the correct equipment and network, it will still be gathering dust and unusable.

Its interesting to add that becuase of all the really negative (and sometimes hostile user comments from the iFIT user base) yesterday (18th Feb 2013), iFIT deleted their iFIT facebook page and all the negative comments.  Now, customers can only communicate with iFIT through the useless support phone line or the never-answered support email system.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » treadmill recommendation? also, iFit Live? Rss Feed